Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

4 hours ago, Ali369829 said:

So what does this all mean when do we know if changes have happened or not,my wife was due to apply 1st june this month but due to new rules would be july next year as she will have gained by then her 4 yrs pr. She has been here 4 yrs but as part if her visa was temp she had two yrs temp. She got granted pr on July 2014.

So does this mean we can get the ball rolling and apply or wait it out a bit longer. I know she has not got so long of a wait as others under new rules but if she can apply asap i rather she did.

10 minutes ago, bwatt99 said:

So what does this all mean when do we know if changes have happened or not,my wife was due to apply 1st june this month but due to new rules would be july next year as she will have gained by then her 4 yrs pr. She has been here 4 yrs but as part if her visa was temp she had two yrs temp. She got granted pr on July 2014.

So does this mean we can get the ball rolling and apply or wait it out a bit longer. I know she has not got so long of a wait as others under new rules but if she can apply asap i rather she did.

As long as they are fighting in parliament it might mean more delay and current apps will continue to be frozen. Unless they come to an agreement let's see what happens

Hopefully common sense will win in Parliament or the Senate. Why on earth should somebody redo an IELTS exam for citizenship when already passed with a band 6 for the visa many years before? It only makes sense for the secondary applicant who didn't sit the test in the first instance. It also gives the false impression that only when your English is good enough migrants would succeed in this country and undermines other values and attitudes from successful migrant stories like resilience, hard work and a vision to bring this country forward. English is very important don't get me wrong but IELTS 6.0 is just ridiculous. My partner and me share this account. Whereas 1 of us is Aussie already the other half is still PR and why should I on earth resit my IELTS one day? Writing is not the only issue I see here. When I did my IELTS back in 2011 my assessor for speaking was an old grumpy lady who gave me the topic to speak about 'advertisement'. Ha, ha, I still don't watch ads and switch programs. As I started to speak about advertisements from magazines and papers she then narrowed it down to 'No, I want your opinion on TV ads!' So I had a 'great' opportunity to show only limited vocabulary as this was not my topic at all. Hubby on the other hand had a great assessor and I heard them laughing through the wall! Topics were widespread and hubby allowed to speak about everything. I didn't appeal against my unfair and unjust treatment from my assessor as I still had score 7 overall and I was the 2nd applicant anyway so it was irrelevant. I just want to warn anybody that pitfalls not only lie in 'writing' or 'reading' but 'speaking' can be compromised by mean assessors as well. Well, for citizenship I would appeal.

• Like 2

Labor having said it will not support these changes, the government has decided not to try its luck with the Senate  - especially with the fight over education funding taking all the time and energy now.   Parliament sits again 8-17 August.  Until then, yes everything will be frozen.  The issue could be hived off to a Senate committee, possibly.

3 hours ago, Roberta2 said:

Labor having said it will not support these changes, the government has decided not to try its luck with the Senate  - especially with the fight over education funding taking all the time and energy now.   Parliament sits again 8-17 August.  Until then, yes everything will be frozen.  The issue could be hived off to a Senate committee, possibly.

This thing can easily get delayed till end 2017 - 2018. 

Most of the frustration is due to the app freeze and back dating. In the end we suffer because our lives are on hold. 

36 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

Most of the frustration is due to the app freeze and back dating. In the end we suffer because our lives are on hold. 

It seems current applications are in for the long haul. Potato head's pride is wounded, he'll argue just for the sake of it now!

If citizenship applications can still be submitted they should do so without requiring immediate payment! Payment should only be required once the decision is made to proceed with the application.

Edited by Spinny

I think if the proposal had a lower bar on the English requirements (something like a IELTS 5 overall) and some sort of phase in period (as occurred when the Citizenship Act 2007 was introduced), there wouldn't be much opposition and the Bill would have passed easily.

Maybe it is just my impression, but Dutton seems to be the person seeing only black or white....yes or no, so I am not sure how he will be willing to negotiate 'his' Bill and amend it to make it pass through the Senate.

9 hours ago, wombatinabox said:

It's still possible a deal will be struck by the end of this week.  The Gonski 2 education reforms debate starts in the Senate today; IF a deal can be struck there, it's possible there will still be time and energy for a compromise on the citizenship changes.  The Senate is supposed to rise Thursday night, but it's not unprecedented for it to sit on the Friday.

14 minutes ago, dredg97 said:

I think if the proposal had a lower bar on the English requirements (something like a IELTS 5 overall) and some sort of phase in period (as occurred when the Citizenship Act 2007 was introduced), there wouldn't be much opposition and the Bill would have passed easily.

Maybe it is just my impression, but Dutton seems to be the person seeing only black or white....yes or no, so I am not sure how he will be willing to negotiate 'his' Bill and amend it to make it pass through the Senate.

15 minutes ago, dredg97 said:

Whilst my family qualified at the beginning of the year, due to technical error on the immi website, one of my family members were unable to apply online. Because of the delay, we weren't able to submit until a few days after the 20th April as they had to do a paper application. After complaining to Immigration and our Fed MP, we've just received confirmation that we will be processed under the old rules ... phew! Does anyone have any news on processing times if applied on the 19th?

Good luck to everyone on - hope the legislation doesn't get up!

45 minutes ago, Pomegranate27 said:

Whilst my family qualified at the beginning of the year, due to technical error on the immi website, one of my family members were unable to apply online. Because of the delay, we weren't able to submit until a few days after the 20th April as they had to do a paper application. After complaining to Immigration and our Fed MP, we've just received confirmation that we will be processed under the old rules ... phew! Does anyone have any news on processing times if applied on the 19th?

Good luck to everyone on - hope the legislation doesn't get up!

So you applied after April 20 and got an exception by complaining to your MP? That's amazing, this clearly means there is no legal basis for the application freeze by Dutton.

I wonder if anyone can do this, I suggest everyone to speak to their MP and see if you can get your application unfroze / processed under old rules.

11 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

So you applied after April 20 and got an exception by complaining to your MP? That's amazing, this clearly means there is no legal basis for the application freeze by Dutton.

I wonder if anyone can do this, I suggest everyone to speak to their MP and see if you can get your application unfroze / processed under old rules.

It would appear there were exceptional circumstances though - rest of the family could and did apply online and the exceptional one was only late because it had to be done on paper.

I don't see that as giving 'ordinary' applicants a way to get round the rule.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

Quite - you have nothing to lose by asking.

4 minutes ago, logbook100 said:

Does it mean that there will be no update until the parliament resume in August? Another month's waiting?

Looks like that the situation, need to wait to next parliament sessions in August/Sep.  Liberals will not be able to pass the bill in current form, have to amend them and make sure  crossbench or labour are OK with the changes... Till then DIMP  will not process the citizenship applications lodged after the April 20th

Not yet clear.  While parliament is supposed to rise tonight, the Senate will be debating the education Bill late into the night, probably - but it's not unheard of for the Senate to continue to sit on the Friday.  In that case, the numbers in the Senate may be there to pass the Bill in amended form if Dutton is willing to make enough changes.

Just received the community newsletter sent from office of alex hawke (assistant minister of dibp)

and he is asking for community survey ...

is it too late to raise up my complaint against proposed change of citizenship bill ?

Edited by whtzau
revise

4 minutes ago, Roberta2 said:

How long does it take PRs to be eligible for citizenship in "comparable countries"?  e.g. Canada, UK, US.  I don't know the answer, but it very likely to be a question asked by the crossbench senators.

For USA, it is 5 years.