Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

1 hour ago, Amy Zhang said:

Nothing! Very disappointing. I have submitted my view on the new proposal. We still have one week to express our point view and email to citizenship.submissions@border.gov.au

It is everyone's DUTY affected by this to send a submission asap before end of this week. 

Make sure you Focus on the back dating and applications freeze. These new changes should only apply to future arrivals to Australia if at all. It is not right to back date this and put peoples lives on hold for such a long time. 

5 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

It is everyone's DUTY affected by this to send a submission asap before end of this week. 

Make sure you Focus on the back dating and applications freeze. These new changes should only apply to future arrivals to Australia if at all. It is not right to back date this and put peoples lives on hold for such a long time. 

Both my husband and I submitted our appeal. Hopefully they will consider. We can only hope for the best.

1 hour ago, jolie2015 said:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-22/citizenship,-visa-grant-waiting-times-may-increase/8548012?pfmredir=sm

• 355 staff have gone from department's visa and citizenship section since the beginning of the financial year
  • Growth in visa applications has bigger impact on waiting times than staff cuts, Mr Pezzullo says

No wonder they cut that huge number of staff. What can they do at this stage? nothing! Why can they get paid just sitting in the office and doing nothing. DIBP can hire people later if they need. Again, the ridiculous back dating stuff.

2 hours ago, wombatinabox said:

Done.   I also send a copy of my correspondence to my local MP.  

On 24/05/2017 at 13:02, Amy Zhang said:

No wonder they cut that huge number of staff. What can they do at this stage? nothing! Why can they get paid just sitting in the office and doing nothing. DIBP can hire people later if they need. Again, the ridiculous back dating stuff.

DIBP does not only processes citizenships, they also process visas. A lot of people and businesses are currently impacted by growing processing times for work or partner visas (permanent or not). 

As an example, I personally applied for my PR in June 2016, processing times were estimated at around 6 months back then. I have been waiting for more than 11 months incl. 4 months on BVA. And I am not the only one in that situation. 

FYI - As I was checking on my PR application status today in my immi account, I just saw the below notification:  

"Australian citizenship applications

The changes to the requirements to become an Australian citizen will come into effect, and apply to applications made from the date of the Government’s announcement on 20 April 2017. The changes will not apply to applications made before 20 April 2017. Applicants will receive communication on the implementation of these measures and any additional information and documentation that may be required to support their  application."

9 hours ago, jess6 said:

DIBP does not only processes citizenships, they also process visas. A lot of people and businesses are currently impacted by growing processing times for work or partner visas (permanent or not). 

As an example, I personally applied for my PR in June 2016, processing times were estimated at around 6 months back then. I have been waiting for more than 11 months incl. 4 months on BVA. And I am not the only one in that situation. 

FYI - As I was checking on my PR application status today in my immi account, I just saw the below notification:  

"Australian citizenship applications

The changes to the requirements to become an Australian citizen will come into effect, and apply to applications made from the date of the Government’s announcement on 20 April 2017. The changes will not apply to applications made before 20 April 2017. Applicants will receive communication on the implementation of these measures and any additional information and documentation that may be required to support their  application."

Dear, what I say is sarcastic! Of course, they should not cut that much, and let us just hang in there!

56 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Yes but they still have not communicated anything. Nothing since the automatic acknowledgement on the 20 th April. 

Some information would be nice. 

I thought this too so called them. As I said, official line is 'check the website'. But the person I spoke to did say explicitly that they have nothing to process new people against until new tests etc are sorted so even when the backlog of pre-20th people are processed, if there is no new test etc, there is no processing.

Have just submitted my view to the proposal via citizenship.submissions@border.gov.au. I have stressed on the retrospectiveness, the freeze on new applications processing and more importantly on the impact on Australia as a cosmopolitan economic hub. Will also try to email our local MP.

Personally, I will become eligible for citizenship under old and new rules from next month. I will go ahead submitting my applications despite potentially being left in limbo for a long time. Does anyone have an idea what happens if suddenly I need to travel overseas for a longer time during the new 10-12 months processing time? My father's health could take a turn any moment. So while I have a job in Australia, am a member of associations etc right now, I might have to step down from it in a year's time in order to care for an elderly parent.

Next Australia Day will be a rather sad affair I assume with hardly anyone having the chance to make the pledge to Australia.

Edited by jaydeeo

1 hour ago, jaydeeo said:

Have just submitted my view to the proposal via citizenship.submissions@border.gov.au. I have stressed on the retrospectiveness, the freeze on new applications processing and more importantly on the impact on Australia as a cosmopolitan economic hub. Will also try to email our local MP.

Personally, I will become eligible for citizenship under old and new rules from next month. I will go ahead submitting my applications despite potentially being left in limbo for a long time. Does anyone have an idea what happens if suddenly I need to travel overseas for a longer time during the new 10-12 months processing time? My father's health could take a turn any moment. So while I have a job in Australia, am a member of associations etc right now, I might have to step down from it in a year's time in order to care for an elderly parent.

Next Australia Day will be a rather sad affair I assume with hardly anyone having the chance to make the pledge to Australia.

Being away from Australia during processing was never an issue before (the residency requirement had to be met at the time of application not afterwards) you just needed to be back to attend your ceremony. How it'll work under the new rules is anyone's guess.

1 hour ago, jaydeeo said:

Thanks for making the submission, remember folks tomorrow is last day so make sure you submit your feedback and objection by then latest. 

As for being away after applying, well thats another unanswered question just shows you how bad the back dating factor is and how it shouldn't be allowed to happen in the first place these are peoples lives they are playing politics with.

Imagine going away then finding out you're now supposed to be in the country. The back dating and applications freeze is pretty much putting everyone's lives on hold for the next year or two. Hopefully it gets thrown own by the courts. 

Please do keep us updated on your app. 

Good luck