Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

39 minutes ago, Roberta2 said:

Turnbull is feeling the heat from Hanson.  Queensland state elections are not far away, and it is highly likely that she will hold the balance of power.  (Currently the Queensland Premier is on a knife edge and the state economy is not doing well.) Hanson wants to stop ALL immigration and ALL foreign investment.   She is a sort of reincarnation of the Know Nothings in the US.  Don't forget Hanson is far more disruptive to the Liberal/National coalition than she is to Labor - she takes far more votes away from them than she does from  Labor.  And of course she is greatly emboldened by Brexit and Trump.  I haven't noticed the Labor party complaining about these changes.  Maybe I've missed something.  Anyway, if Labor supports them, the Senate is irrelevant.

So now everybody has to jump through all of these hoops so Mally and his team can keep their jobs? Typical! Well at least we can all sleep better at night knowing they are okay - that's the main thing!

A politician desperate to keep his/her job!  What a surprise.   Personally, I doubt Turnbull is going to keep his, but expect more "nativist" stuff in the near future.   The Nationals are especially desperate to limit Hanson's inroads.  On another topic,  Turnbull may have some leverage on "frozen" Pom pensions in trade etc negotiations with the UK.  Hard to explain to the Australian taxpayer why we spend billions topping up these pensions.  The reason is that we lacked the leverage in the past that the US was able to exert over the UK.  (I am of course not blaming individual Poms - all done over their heads.)

Protecting Australia from radical Islamists is Item no 1 on Hanson's agenda.  She doesn't bother much going after aborigines and Asians any more.  To the contrary, she has even endorsed a couple of Asian candidates (the wheels fell off, as they often do with her.) Indians, Chinese and Poms constitute the major groups migrating to Australia.  In calling for the end of ALL migration, I guess she is being non-discriminatory for once.

2 hours ago, Isabelj28 said:

I don't think they're 'stopping' them as such... it's just a hiatus while they get themselves sorted. They've made these announcements without all the background processes. There is no test at the moment and they can't bring in the new one until the legislation passes

So my wife who was on a partner visa which is 2 yrs temp and 2 yrs pr.

As she was due apply for citizenship 1st june does she apply or not?

If under old rules she will have been here 4 yrs total in june but if going by new rules she will only have in that 4 yrs in july this year only have 3 yrs of pr to date.

As new rules require 4 yrs of pr she now waits another year.

But will they say if she calls if eligible or will they say apply next year and these rules have not passed yet.

If they don't pass then she has a head start in the process or are they just going to say sorry you cant apply till next year?

Has anyone who was due to apply since these new rules do so that where ok in old rules or but not in new rules.

As wife has 4 weeks left before applying under old rules i wonder if she can or not.

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:15 PM, unzippy said:

Ok, governed was the wrong word 9_9

My point is, despite sharing the Queen, despite the Union Jack being part of the Australian flag, despite both being Commonwealth countries - a French/Dutch/Polish person can come and work in the UK easier than Australian (currently!).

The Queen is monarch over a large number of countries, all within The Commonwealth, that have no entitlement to live in Britain. I'm afraid having the Union flag in the corner, neither helps. A host of island nations have the same.

Britain being in Europe somehow makes since. Not easy to work in USA either.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Parley said:

Well obviously a ban on all immigration will never happen so it is silly to overplay her influence.

More relevant is the conservative forces within the Liberal party itself.

Conservative forces along with the Left from ALP and Greens have generally 'sold out' to the Big Australia' concept. It will take this to become a major issue before politicians will change tack. Media, Real Estate, Finance Industry along with Business all applaud all on board for obvious reasons. Hanson, has a role, regardless of her unelectable and divisive politics in general and egoistic nature in particular.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Actually it is about protecting Australia from radical Muslim extremists.

Well no actually it is arriving at the realisation, that they have been sussed, (politicians in general) and attempting to pre-empt public disgust, at what has eventuated over recent years.  

1 hour ago, Pura Vida said:

Well no actually it is arriving at the realisation, that they have been sussed, (politicians in general) and attempting to pre-empt public disgust, at what has eventuated over recent years.  

Pura Vida - Are you from Costa Rica?

3 hours ago, bwatt99 said:

If under old rules she will have been here 4 yrs total in june but if going by new rules she will only have in that 4 yrs in july this year only have 3 yrs of pr to date.

But will they say if she calls if eligible or will they say apply next year and these rules have not passed yet.

If they don't pass then she has a head start in the process or are they just going to say sorry you cant apply till next year?

Has anyone who was due to apply since these new rules do so that where ok in old rules or but not in new rules.

As wife has 4 weeks left before applying under old rules i wonder if she can or not.

Not sure. Have not seen one to apply it after 20/04. Someone said you could not apply online after that date.

I want to know too...

17 hours ago, bwatt99 said:

It's likely she will not be able to - you can give feedback until June 1st. 

This article shows an official government email address to express your views: http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hindi/en/article/2017/04/21/6-new-requirements-acquire-australian-citizenship

10 hours ago, jess6 said:

It's likely she will not be able to - you can give feedback until June 1st. 

This article shows an official government email address to express your views: http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hindi/en/article/2017/04/21/6-new-requirements-acquire-australian-citizenship

We need many senators to help us change their new rules.

Any idea of the following questions in the citizenship application.

1. Does the person hold citizenship of any other country?

Should one mention their country of birth ??

If yes, then the date of citizenship will be birth date ??

2. Does the person hold any other identity documents ?

Passport is one of the identity docos, but it has been the basis of the citizenship application, should one mention this again in response to this question ?? Also passport is not an option the drop down, so the only option to select in this case is "Other" and input the passport details.... Right ??

Hello good morning sir 
Sir I have citizenship exam tomorrow and on the time of the Application I upload the India translation of my birth certificate tested by notry . Do I still need NATTI translation as well ??
Plz advice me 
Thanks 

I read somewhere it will be ielts band 6 for english requirements for citizenship from now on.Is this right?

I got more than 6 last time without preparation but my husband lived 25 years in italy i do not know if he will be able to get 6 in all modules.

Secondly this way govt has increased fees of citizenship now i have to pay 900 dollars for all three of us for only english test. My son will be 16 years by the time we apply for citizenship.

And i will apply exactly after 6 years of my entrance in australia. my application was going on august 17 but now it will be november 19.

Gosh my all plans are scattered for study for job...need to search any factory work now.

7 hours ago, Annoisa said:

I read somewhere it will be ielts band 6 for english requirements for citizenship from now on.Is this right?

I got more than 6 last time without preparation but my husband lived 25 years in italy i do not know if he will be able to get 6 in all modules.

Secondly this way govt has increased fees of citizenship now i have to pay 900 dollars for all three of us for only english test. My son will be 16 years by the time we apply for citizenship.

And i will apply exactly after 6 years of my entrance in australia. my application was going on august 17 but now it will be november 19.

Gosh my all plans are scattered for study for job...need to search any factory work now.

You do not need to do ielts test at this moment until early of 2018. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

NONE of this legislation has yet been passed - it has to get through parliament and is open to public opinion until 1st June. That means us.

With the help of some similarly affected people on the internet, I've made a video to publicise our objection to the proposed citizenship pathway changes:

It's already had over 50,000 views on Facebook, has been shared by Labour MPs, has been published on the ABC's Q and A website and is awaiting its first TV appearance on SBS. 

Please share it, and PLEASE email citizenship.submissions@border.gov.au so that they know we're out here. 

The consultation papers that informed this were very foggy about how affected migrants might react, so we have a genuine opportunity to repair what's happening :-)

• Like 2

Stayed up last night to complete and submit our application, here's hoping there's no unnecessary delays on it, as ours should be textbook straightforward!  Only time will tell, but from a conversation with immigration yesterday, they are still business as usual in terms of processing until they get told there is a new way! 

It is your duty if you are part of this thread to submit your objections to citizenship.submissions@border.gov.au 

Deadline is June 1st. 

I have made my submissions, and focused on the issue of back dating these rules. Should only apply to future arrivals if at all. 

• Like 1