Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

12 minutes ago, welljock said:

It can be one or five years, generally one year if you've not lived in the country for 2 years. 

But with the new rules, you wouldn't need an RRV until after the travel part of the PR expired - which is 5 years?

Yea sorry if I sounded doom and gloom about it, my only intention when joining in the convo was to point out that citizenship is really important and that's why people may be desperate! Each persons circumstances are unique and I couldn't resist defending the want/need for being super keen to get it as soon as eligible! Plus RRV conditions could be changed as it's only a visa. The only way to stay unconditionally is citizenship!

1 minute ago, Keep me in oz said:

Yea sorry if I sounded doom and gloom about it, my only intention when joining in the convo was to point out that citizenship is really important and that's why people may be desperate! Each persons circumstances are unique and I couldn't resist defending the want/need for being super keen to get it as soon as eligible! Plus RRV conditions could be changed as it's only a visa. The only way to stay unconditionally is citizenship!

Fair enough Keepmeinoz, I agree with you, I'd rather have citizenship than be here as a PR. Especially if, like me, you've got parents that are becoming 'more senior', you never know what may be around the corner that requires Australia to be put on hold for a while, or possibly years, even if you do intend on coming back for the rest of your life.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, elderberry said:

Fair enough Keepmeinoz, I agree with you, I'd rather have citizenship than be here as a PR. Especially if, like me, you've got parents that are becoming 'more senior', you never know what may be around the corner that requires Australia to be put on hold for a while, or possibly years, even if you do intend on coming back for the rest of your life.

Indeed, I can't even bare to think about my parents getting old!!! 

Let's all keep our fingers crossed the legislation isn't as bad for us all as it seems to be right now!

I contacted my mp regarding these citizenship changes and below is the reply.
What does it mean?
Probably nothing but was worth putting my point across.
And as wife was eligible 1st june prior to these changes will it still be same or do you think they will say its now next year?
Not bothered to call and ask yet.
But curious anyone who was eligible since these changes if they have applied.

At this stage, the laws have not passed Parliament, but we are currently looking closely at the proposed changes, as well as undergoing extensive community consultation as to how they will affect Permanent Residents and other visa holders in Australia.

We will continue to advocate for the fairest approach for every Australian.

10 hours ago, Sheila said:

English requirement is a Joke. I did IELTS 8 each to get my PR now they are expecting me to do 6 each again to get citizenship......!! This looks more like joint venture with IELTS conducting bodies like (AEO IDP British council ). Just a thought , what do u think?

Yeah I think the double IELTS requirement is pretty pathetic for PR holders since we all did IELTS anyway. I scored min 8 in all of them why should I redo it?

They are assuming your English will get worse over 4 years in Australia? No sense doing it twice other than money grab. Should only apply to visa categories that didnt have the IELTS requirement. 

Edited by wombatinabox

10 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

Yeah I think the double IELTS requirement is pretty pathetic for PR holders since we all did IELTS anyway. I scored min 8 in all of them why should I redo it?

They are assuming your English will get worse over 4 years in Australia? No sense doing it twice other than money grab. Should only apply to visa categories that didnt have the IELTS requirement. 

Again, not all PR visa holders have done IELTS.  I have a PR visa but have not done IELTS.  Did you bring your family over and if so did they all do IELTS?  I do think if you have previously done an English test as part of your visa application then you should be able to use that for your citizenship rather than sit another one, but for those who haven't, including spouses of PR visa applicants, I don't think it is unreasonable to require they demonstrate English language skills.

Probably because it does not just affect English people. There are so many nationalities applying for citizenship they cannot have one test for some and make execptions for others, it has to be the same across the board or they will be accused of being racist.

Well most PR visas currently exonerate passport holders of English speaking countries (not all of them) to sit and English test.

And that seems more than fine to me.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

• Like 1

Does anyone apply citizenship after 20/04. If someone have applied this after 20/04, would you please share your experience?

Like: CO ask you to do a english test, Jobs approve, Tax, Community service approve etc. Or They still use old rules. 

Thank you very much.

With these new rules i was wondering do they still have the calculator for citizenship  where you entered your details and it would let you know when you could apply? Myself i  prefered to call but wife wanted to check but i cant find it have then got rid of it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bwatt99 said:

With these new rules i was wondering do they still have the calculator for citizenship  where you entered your details and it would let you know when you could apply? Myself i  prefered to call but wife wanted to check but i cant find it have then got rid of it?

I was thinking the same thing, it was really helpful. Im sure they will, probably just updating the current one at the moment with the new criteria

22 hours ago, Parley said:

It is a fact that many hang out for citizenship to keep their options open and then immediately bugger off back to the UK.

They are not committed to Australia at all.

Is this what you are planning to do also ?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if dual citizenship was dropped and people had to renounce their UK citizenship whether they would still want to become Australian citizens.

You're right.  There's lots of Brits that do that.  It would be interesting to see if any/many would renounce their British citizenship in favour of Australia. I actually think this should be a condition of applying for Citizenship in any country. If you want Citizenship, then prove your allegiance unequivocally. 

• Like 1

Border has now officially removed the citizenship calculator, no good! 

Looks like our speculation of applications on and after April 20 being frozen are true. Most likely only be processed after early 2018 when new tests are ready. We are looking at extended wait times even if eligible under new rules. 

I'm trying to get confirmation from a migration agent 

Edited by wombatinabox

10 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

Border has now officially removed the citizenship calculator, no good! 

Looks like our speculation of applications on and after April 20 being frozen are true. Most likely only be processed after early 2018 when new tests are ready. We are looking at extended wait times even if eligible under new rules. 

I'm trying to get confirmation from a migration agent 

I called Immigration on Monday and they confirmed that the calculator had been removed and that 'people are therefore experiencing difficulties applying online'.

Nothing stopping us putting in a paper application in though ;) not that i think it will make a difference with the processing but at least it will be submitted!

8 minutes ago, ian360 said:

No more applications until 2018? How do you know this?

They now officially removed the online eligibility. You can technically apply by paper but apps after April 20 will be frozen  anyway even if eligible under new rules until new tests are ready and approved early 2018. 

Looks like a very long wait period is ahead 

Waiting for final confirmation from agent but not looking good for post April 20 apps

Edited by wombatinabox