Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

Just now, VERYSTORMY said:

Could be interesting. Another big hit against temp visa holders if correct. 

They're clearly having one big overhaul of the system. 

Indeed - You've always said on this thread that the 457 was only ever a temporary one tho and people should bear that in mind.  I do wonder how many come over and don't get PR. 

Came on a marriage visa so it's 2 and a half years before I get PR. With time added on for leaving the country it's probably going to be over 7 years in total now. 

I wouldn't really mind but I was planning on starting Uni next year (distance) and was planning on only two years without hecs assistance. Look like almost the entire degree is going to be without it now. 

• Like 1

I fluked this one.  I got my citizenship in January under the old system.  If I'd waited I wouldn't be eligible until 2019!  I'm so glad I saw the writing on the wall with this government and got the passport.  I had no real intention of doing so until Peter Dutton started to gain power and the LNP brought in their anti-refugee policies. 

• Like 1

The only confusing thing about the requirement is that skilled migrants already have to prove their English skills while applying for permanent residency. Why should they take English test again for citizenship? The comment that Migrants should learn English does not make sense as people who migrate through skilled visas, get their PR only because they at least have functional English. Don't understand that part.

• Like 6

Yikes!

I have completed everything apart from my identity declaration form, which I am in the process of organising.

If I get my application in now. and then subsequently the new legislation gets passed, will my pending application be valid?  The news reports say that if the changes are enacted they will be in force 'from today'. 

• Like 1

I agree. Seems that the governments own initial  language skill verification isn't up to scratch. Am sure the additional language testing will attract a handsome new fee. 

I appied for citizenship on Tuesday having held PR for 1 year. Will all the new rules and testing apply to me do you think?

If you've already applied I'd say you're fine.  If media reports are to be believed you're out of luck KidA. 

On the English thing, PR doesn't require an English test necessarily.  The first test I did was for citizenship.  When I did my test there was an older Vietnamese lady who needed her daughter there to translate for her. 

14 minutes ago, robfromdublin said:

If you've already applied I'd say you're fine.  If media reports are to be believed you're out of luck KidA. 

On the English thing, PR doesn't require an English test necessarily.  The first test I did was for citizenship.  When I did my test there was an older Vietnamese lady who needed her daughter there to translate for her. 

I'm worried that you might be right.  It seems very unfair to retroactively void an application which was submitted when the applicant met all criteria. 

However, it's not the first time migration (refugee) policy has been retroactively changed.

Edited by KidA
  • Like 1

I think this overhaul will be for those who are to be newly granted permanent residency in my own view. As some people are weeks away to make it a year on their PR and looking to apply under the previous policy. So let's just wait and see update on Immigration website before we know those who are affected.

• Like 1

What I am trying to say is Skilled Migration requires competent English. You are either a native English speaker or you need to prove competent English via tests like IELTS. Not that I am worried but I hope they don't say competent English is getting 8 in all categories in IELTS. This will mean that most of the people like myself will find it difficult. I did manage to get 7 in each category both the times I wrote the test but again, I wouldn't want to go through this again. Wrote it twice, did enough both the times (Got overall 8 and 7 in each band) but again, hated the test itself. At least I don't have to worry about this for another 4 years. I got my PR in 2012 but moved only this year. I still have 4 years to worry about the same.

Edited by path2aus

48 minutes ago, path2aus said:

The only confusing thing about the requirement is that skilled migrants already have to prove their English skills while applying for permanent residency. Why should they take English test again for citizenship? The comment that Migrants should learn English does not make sense as people who migrate through skilled visas, get their PR only because they at least have functional English. Don't understand that part.

Only the primary applicant on a skilled visa needs to demonstrate English.  The partners and children don't need to have any level of English.  If they are over 18 they would need to pay a secondary fee without English ability.  As well, people migrating on other visas such as partner, child, parent, etc. don't need any level of English.  So this may be quite difficult for many people applying for citizenship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Only the primary applicant on a skilled visa needs to demonstrate English.  The partners and children don't need to have any level of English.  If they are over 18 they would need to pay a secondary fee without English ability.  As well, people migrating on other visas such as partner, child, parent, etc. don't need any level of English.  So this may be quite difficult for many people applying for citizenship.

Okay anyways not worried too much unless they want some ridiculous scores to clear the citizenship test.

5 minutes ago, path2aus said:

What I am trying to say is Skilled Migration requires competent English. You are either a native English speaker or you need to prove competent English via tests like IELTS. Not that I am worried but I hope they don't say competent English is getting 8 in all categories in IELTS. This will mean that most of the people like myself will find it difficult. I did manage to get 7 in each category both the times I wrote the test but again, I wouldn't want to go through this again. Wrote it twice, did enough both the times (Got overall 8 and 7 in each band) but again, hated the test itself. At least I don't have to worry about this for another 4 years. I got my PR in 2012 but moved only this year. I still have 4 years to worry about the same.

33 minutes ago, path2aus said:

Actually, you'll be pleased to know you only have to wait 3 years rather than 4 years!!

You are in the same position as me. Since you are now here, I assume that within 1 year of obtaining your visa you validated it and then returned to the Uk (i.e. like a reccie trip), and have now arrived permanently before the travel facility expired. 

That being the case you have to be here as a permanent resident for 4 years - but with no more than 12 months overseas in that period. You can therefore apply for citizenship 3 years after your most recent permanent arrival, plus any time you have outside Australia (for holidays) between now and 3 years time. 

For me I arrived in Nov 2016 and expect to apply for citizenship sometime in Dec 2019.

You became a Permanent resident when you first validated your visa sometime within 12 months of it been granted.

Edited by elderberry
more info

3 minutes ago, dunc said:

Does anyone know if there's a timescale for this legislation getting approved?

It doesn't really matter. As the effective date once it is passed will be from today.

It is a bit like Budget night announcements where the effective date is from announcement date even though legislation will be passed later.

1 minute ago, dunc said:

Does anyone know if there's a timescale for this legislation getting approved?

I don't think it will take too long for that to take place if it hasn't been in place. But I can for see if you currently on PR you will still be able to apply under the old policy of 12 months waiting time, just a thought am sure. But as for the citizenship test it as been made known since last year there will be changes in the test.

3 minutes ago, Parley said:

It doesn't really matter. As the effective date once it is passed will be from today.

It is a bit like Budget night announcements where the effective date is from announcement date even though legislation will be passed later.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you but it matters to me! I would like to know either way if I am going to be able to apply for citizenship in 11 months or 3 years and 11 months. 

1 minute ago, dunc said:

Maybe it doesn't matter to you but it matters to me! I would like to know either way if I am going to be able to apply for citizenship in 11 months or 3 years and 11 months. 

when its passed doesn't matter your going to have to wait nearly 4 years. They've said it will be backdated. Thats why it doesn't matter. 

Just now, Danny842003 said:

when its passed doesn't matter your going to have to wait nearly 4 years. They've said it will be backdated. Thats why it doesn't matter. 

So is it a given that it will get passed? If it doesn't get passed then nothing changes which is why it does matter.