complicated situations of my 457 application

I got a job offer from University of Sydney earlier this year as a researcher. They sponsored me (Step 1) and I got the nomination last week (Step 3) under 2421111 university lecture which is not on the MLTSSL list.

I am on the process of preparing the required documents in the checklist and about to start my application on the immi system (Step 3), but the gov announced the abolishment of 457. I'm not sure whether i should proceed on my application (Step 3) or not? will my application be affected by the new rule? if not affected,  can i still enjoy the two year permanent residence eligibility?

Thanks in advanced.

• Like 1

Your application will be treated under new rules, according to a migration agent who posted earlier on Perth Poms site, and judging from what you've said, you'd only be entitled to a 2+2 temporary visa, with no pathway to PR. 

I would be checking with a migration agent to be sure, if I were you, to ascertain your position prior to applying, esp if you were thinking your 457 could lead to PR, as that's the bit that will catch lots of people out I think. 

2 minutes ago, Beffers said:

Your application will be treated under new rules, according to a migration agent who posted earlier on Perth Poms site, and judging from what you've said, you'd only be entitled to a 2+2 temporary visa, with no pathway to PR. 

I would be checking with a migration agent to be sure, if I were you, to ascertain your position prior to applying, esp if you were thinking your 457 could lead to PR, as that's the bit that will catch lots of people out I think. 

thanks, Beffers. I just found the information in the following link that echoes what you said:http://www.salvomigration.com.au/blog/457-visas-abolished-are-you-affected-everything-you-need-to-know. hope this may be useful to others having similar confusions.

• Like 1

The new rule requires that you also have 2 years of experience now - I presume that is OK otherwise you would hardly get such an offer of employment.  you will have an opportunity to get Employer sponsored for the 186 ENS Direct Entry up to at least March 2018 if you are under  50 (under 45 from 01 July 2017), have a skills assessment as a University Lecturer from VETASSESS, have at least 3 years experience and the University are willing to nominate you to a minimum 2 year position.  From March 2018, the 186 ENS Direct Entry will work from the MLTSSL list only and the opportunity for PR then may be gone

Regards

Tony

On 21/04/2017 at 1:53 AM, Welshtone said:

A) have a skills assessment as a University Lecturer from VETASSESS,

B) Have at least 3 years experience

C) and the University are willing to nominate you to a minimum 2 year position. 

Tony

Hi 

A) isn't the skill assessment already required to apply for the 457 so technically already done ? 

B) does it have to be Australian work experience ? If not , again, isn't it already a requirement of the 457 to have at least 3 years of work experience ?

C) the employer might be not willing to sponsor for the 186 directly coz they might fear that the employee once received PR could find employment somewhere else hence not completing the 2 years and basically just using the employer to get PR (I'm not referring to this specific case but for example restaurants with cooks) 

D) isn't ielts also needed with at least 6 in all bands ?

10 hours ago, Marianne Smith said:

Hi 

A) isn't the skill assessment already required to apply for the 457 so technically already done ? 

B) does it have to be Australian work experience ? If not , again, isn't it already a requirement of the 457 to have at least 3 years of work experience ?

C) the employer might be not willing to sponsor for the 186 directly coz they might fear that the employee once received PR could find employment somewhere else hence not completing the 2 years and basically just using the employer to get PR (I'm not referring to this specific case but for example restaurants with cooks) 

D) isn't ielts also needed with at least 6 in all bands ?

A) Although some occupations from certain countries required a skills assessment under the previous rules, University Lecturer was not one of them.

B) No, and no it wasn't

D) Not under the previous rules.

• Like 1