retirees from france moving to tassie

libbye

19 minutes ago, Skani said:

I personally prefer the southern suburbs on the western shore (closest to the mountain).  Their suitability will vary depending on your budget and how close you want to be to the CBD.   But, starting closest and working out, these are Battery Point, South Hobart, Dynnyrne (pronounced DeNURN ;-)),  Sandy Bay,   Mount Nelson, Taroona, Kingston, Blackmans Bay.   Some people prefer the eastern shore  - and there are some nice areas in suburbs such as   Lindisfarne. Howrah and Tranmere.

Our budget could be zero and it may mean we have to rent but we'll face that when and if it happens. Thank you for the suggestions.  Most helpful.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:33 AM, Skani said:

I personally prefer the southern suburbs on the western shore (closest to the mountain).  Their suitability will vary depending on your budget and how close you want to be to the CBD.   But, starting closest and working out, these are Battery Point, South Hobart, Dynnyrne (pronounced DeNURN ;-)),  Sandy Bay,   Mount Nelson, Taroona, Kingston, Blackmans Bay.   Some people prefer the eastern shore  - and there are some nice areas in suburbs such as   Lindisfarne. Howrah and Tranmere.

Skani - have had a quick whizz around the suburbs you mention and think far too expensive for our limited budget whatever that ends up as being.  An interesting exercise but at least it gives us an idea of what's available.  Daresay it will have changed slightly by the time we have decided.  Do people make offers below the asking price and if so what sort of percentage would you estimate?   Rental may well have to be the way we go especially considering our age but we've never had to do that and are a bit wary of being asked to move on at some stage further down the line. Does a tenant have any protection. Still that's not now and I find it very interesting to look and learn about the different areas.  Such beautiful countryside.

You may be interested in the law here re rentals.  If you'are over 70 you can never be asked to leave.  They have to wait for you to die, live with relatives or god forbid be put in a home!  No-one's rental is terminated during the winter months.  The law is certainly not on the side of the landlord and I've heard dreadful stories when tenants don't pay their rent.  Of course these are few and far between but it does happen.  France is very keen for young people to build and buy new houses and offer some very interesting packages.  At the moment they can purchase with less than 10% deposit and mortgage rates are as low as 1.03% for 25 years.  However, banks are cautious and do not lend willy nilly like the uk.  Your earning capacity is taken very seriously and they make sure you're capable of repaying the loan.  The inheritance law is a curly one and very complicated for us foreigners.  A gentleman older than us by 3 years has just purchased a block of land for 18,000e ($25,000) and intends to build a small house including land for around 100,000 e.  He has a house to sell and the local commune has agreed to hold the land for a year to give him time to sell!

On 4/27/2017 at 6:09 PM, libbye said:

Skani - have had a quick whizz around the suburbs you mention and think far too expensive for our limited budget whatever that ends up as being. ...........Do people make offers below the asking price and if so what sort of percentage would you estimate?   Rental may well have to be the way we go especially considering our age but we've never had to do that and are a bit wary of being asked to move on at some stage further down the line. Does a tenant have any protection. Still that's not now and I find it very interesting to look and learn about the different areas.  Such beautiful countryside.

I'm sorry for the delay in response:  the gremlins have been attempting to sabotage my best intentions over the past few days!

There are a few small places on the open market within that budget range you mentioned earlier - eg the   Blackmans Bay and Lindisfarne properties in my earlier post - but the average size house would exceed that budget.  However, the retirement villages/communities commonly have independent houses/units within that price range and a number of them are in the suburbs I mentioned.

Traditionally it was normal to make an offer below the asking price - maybe 10% then negotiate up from there.  But the local market is going a bit crazy at the moment.  This appears to be the confluence of two factors: (1)   mainland investors have "discovered"  the local market  and have decided the price/rental ratio in local housing is too good to ignore and (2) the Airbnb phenomenon has just hit Hobart in a big way and houses are being bought exclusively to let out for short term accommodation, hence putting extra pressure on the market.  There have been reports of investors from elsewhere buying multiple properties unseen and some properties have recently been sold for more than their advertised price.  I don't know how long this madness will last.

Unfortunately tenants in the open market have few protections compared to many European countries.  6 weeks is the normal notice to vacate.  However, many of the retirement villages have properties to rent and a tenant would be expected to stay in those until end of life or until they chose to leave.

Seems to be the story of our life!  We once sold a house in Melbourne for $90000 only to find 6 weeks later the market went mad and it was sold again 1 year later for $500000.  C'est la vie.  

I take your point with regard to the retirement villages and they may well remain stable but quite honestly we're beginning to feel too damned old and running out of energy to make such a move but if the decision on brexit goes against us then we'll have no choice.  Not a happy situation and there are thousands of us living abroad who are experiencing roller coaster emotions.  The expense of the move too is a concern as Aus is not just over the water!  

Anyway must look on the bright side all will be sorted and enjoy what we have here and now.  It is nice though to be able to converse in our own language and learn more about a place we've never been to.  Yours and others comments have been invaluable and am grateful.

Have a good day and keep smiling.

P.S.   just had a quick look at all the links you sent for retirement.  only one gave a definite price and none indicate what the fees would be. 

All the best units are shown, naturally, so very hard to gauge.  Never mind it's something else to consider.  If and when the time comes I'd even be prepared to phone and ask relevant questions.  Makes for interesting reading especially if you've got a few bob to spare.  Shouldn't think this type of accommodation would be affected by the upsurge in prices either although you never know.  Greed knows no bounds.

• 4 months later...

Its a lovely village but far too far from  Hobart from you... 83km ...1.5 hrs away. Shopping and public transport will be extremely difficult without your own transport.  It does have a good Midlands Multi Purpose Health Centre which enjoys a good reputation but in all honesty I dont think you would like the isolation. Ambulances from both Hobart & Launceston use Oatlands as a changing over point going north or south.... All those villages going north are delightful but not feasible without your own transport.There are no main shops like Woolworths or Coles, just an IGA and of course you are paying a premium for living in a rural area!

Edited to add the Redline bus goes through Oatlands Hobart - Launceston vica versa! Fares are appro $21.50 return Hobart - Oatlands !

https://booking.tasredline.com.au/trwebbooking/EZBookingCheckStops.asp?TravelType=Return&sStopFrom=HOBART+TRANSIT+CENTRE&sStopTo=OATLANDS&sday=06&smonth=09&rday=06&rmonth=09&iFare1Pax=1&sFare1Type=f1&iFare2Pax=0&sFare2Type=&service=RS&iFare3Pax=&sFare3Type=&

Edited by Evandale

Thank you Evandale.  A very honest appraisal and I'm appreciative.  Not being able to drive is a real bugbear and not ready to accept old age doesn't help. We've lived in some wayout places and right in the bush too but that was many moons ago and even now in France we're not exactly close to anywhere and neighbours are sparse on the ground.  However, commonsense has to prevail and it's time we stopped fighting it!  No wonder the houses are so reasonably priced and I thought one of us might take up fishing!!!  We really don't fancy renting as it makes us feel insecure but to find somewhere decent for what we'll have is going to prove very difficult but I think if we do decide Tassie will see us out renting first and see where it leads us. I'm assuming we have plenty of time.lol

• Like 1

You are welcome Libbye!  I do think many mature persons make the mistake of going rural and imo I think the closer you are to all the amenities the better for you both. There would be nothing worse than visiting your husband/wife in hospital and then waiting in the cold for a bus and going home to a cold house. Tasmanians are very friendly people on the whole and I am sure you will receive community support but we like to be self efficient wherever possible!  There are retirement villages whereby you can purchase a home (in this case you would be buying a lease and something to watch for!) i.e. https://www.villages.com.au/tas/kingston/oak-tree-retirement-village-kingston-6915#1078 perhaps dont discount these but do go into the small/fine print for all the additional costs  with a recommended lawyer! This particular property is around $265,000!.... My advice is not to be fooled by cheap prices here in Tasmania, i.e. Queenstown on the west coast, they are cheap for a reason!

Maybe have a look at ..https://www.seniorshousingonline.com.au/property/sale/16776/location-perfect

https://www.seniorshousingonline.com.au/property/sale/3065/baldwin-care-vaucluse-gardens-retirement-village

• Like 2

Thank you.  Good advice.  The first one looks really lovely but no garage.  MOH must have a garage or reasonable shed he can escape to.  Actually he' a retired artist but art continues to be a consuming passion so needs space for that.  No info on additional charges for the one in Claremont and there would have to be because of the facilities.  To be more independent perhaps a unit would be better suited for us as long as there was transport nearby.  I'm sure something could be sorted once we actually set foot on the new land but I think it necessary to find out all I can before the big move.  As I've mentioned before houses can sometimes take years to sell here but I refuse to go down that road.  Positive thinking s what I go for!  Whatever it's going to be we'd better get a move on.

• Like 1

Libbye, I  am no authority on "strata titles" but I am led to believe that purchasing a unit involves a ST.... see ..http://www.hobartlegal.org.au/tasmanian-law-handbook/housing/buying-and-selling-real-estate/units-flats-and-townhouses.  This appears to be something similar to Leasehold I think so will incur additional expenses for maintenance etc.

http://www.cormistonlegal.com.au/services/strata-titles-in-tasmania-frequently-asked-questions

Northern Tasmania near the airport if you like the European village feel...https://www.domain.com.au/42b-logan-road-evandale-tas-7212-2012490411.. I believe there is a bus service also to Kings Meadows shopping centre which is approx 25 minutes by bus. There is a very vibrant Sunday market here for fruit, veggies etc plus a local butcher ,  several good pubs, a small store and other various shops. Woolworths and Coles also deliver. A wonderful community spirit.

https://www.evandaletasmania.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evandale,_Tasmania

Edited by Evandale

Just now, libbye said:

I am going to try and attach a file but am none too clever with the computer.  It's a photo of the house we own now and in Australian dollars $238000 so you can see what e're up against.P1010180.thumb.JPG.0701254e1f5d50d528e7830c373d5917.JPG

Stunning  and the garden is a credit to you. Hopefully you can recreate your bit of paradise here in Australia. You have a lovely home full of character! Thank you for sharing!

6 minutes ago, Evandale said:

Northern Tasmania near the airport if you like the European village feel...https://www.domain.com.au/42b-logan-road-evandale-tas-7212-2012490411.. I believe there is a bus service also to Kings Meadows shopping centre which is approx 25 minutes by bus. There is a very vibrant Sunday market here for fruit, veggies etc plus a local butcher ,  several good pubs, a small store and other various shops. Woolworths and Coles also deliver. A wonderful community spirit.

https://www.evandaletasmania.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evandale,_Tasmania

sounds encouraging and sounds really nice.

• Like 1

Just an example for you Libbye  .............  this little house is in a small complex 2 doors up from our house.  There is a bus stop nearby for a bus into town - I walk as it isn't far.  It's also close to some nice walks by the ocean and the river and it's a nice quiet area.  I know some of the folk who live in the complex and they are all very friendly.  The Mersey Hospital is in Latrobe not far away and there is a good hospital in Burnie too. This is of course in Devonport where we live so maybe not where you are looking to live.  

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-tas-devonport-126061186

• Like 1

It sounds great Toots.  Sounds as if it would suit us pricewise too.  We have never been to Tassie so have no idea which is the better end (so to peak) of the island so renting first makes sense.  Which is the warmest????  Many thanks for your response which was really helpful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, libbye said:

We have never been to Tassie so have no idea which is the better end (so to peak) of the island so renting first makes sense.  Which is the warmest????  

I wouldn't say there is a "better end" -  all areas have their special character and it depends on individual preference and requirements.

The warmest area of Tasmania is actually the north east coast (around St. Helens and Bicheno) but it may not suit in other ways - lack of public transport, for example, or access to medical facilities.

The northwest coast  (around Devonport westward) is generally a slightly milder climate than Hobart - maybe a degree or two warmer in winter, but slightly cooler in summer.  However it also receives more rain.   The area around Launceston,  because it is away from the modifying effect of the coast,  tends to be warmer than Hobart in summer, but frostier in winter.

Edited by Skani

14 hours ago, starlight7 said:

What about Hobart?  There are more things to do there.  We used to live in Tassie in the North West and it was stunning but everything closed at 5.30, not a lot of life. I think Hobart is a bit more active  and it is probably the prettiest capital in Australia as an added bonus.

Pubs and cafes are open later and our local supermarkets are open from 7 am until 10 pm.  K Mart open 'til midnight.

• Like 1