retirees from france moving to tassie

libbye

We lived in Melbourne for more than 50 years before embarking on an adventure to live in France which we've done now for 12 years.

We're originally from the uk but that was in 64 and now at the ages of 79 we're seriously thinking of returning to Aus BUT obviously

things have moved on especially cost of living and real estate.  I think we'd need to look at Tassie and so my question to all you

lovely people is where would you look to buy/rent for medical services, transport (as probably won't be allowed to drive now) and if

to buy prices between $250,000-$350000?  How long is a piece of string I know but this will be our last move obviously and we'd like, in 

an ideal world, for it to be as stressless and friendly as possible.  Your comments would be appreciated.

Guest The Pom Queen

You have some wonderful members who can help with Tassie @Skani @Toots @Evandale And @Bound4Tassie although in the U.K. Have done lots of research.

Can I ask, what was life like in France? Hubby wanted to leave Australia and head for France, but I love Australia too much. 

What I will say is make sure you are within walking distance of shops, doctors etc. We moved recently on to acreage, the local shop is an hour round trip, a few weeks after we bought the house I lost my license and ended up in a wheelchair. I feel totally isolated. Also look for a bungalow, I think the majority will be in Tassie anyway, but one thing for us is that we lived in a Queenslander prior to this house so we would have struggled. 

'Good luck with the move back. Do you have friends or family over here to help?

Hello there, thank you for your response.  sorry to hear you've lost your licence.  what a pain.  I know we lived in the bush for many years in Victoria, with only a generator at one stage, so do know how difficult life can be.  I know all about being isolated too.  We love being in the countryside and still are to a point in Brittany but need the car as there's no transport at all in rural areas, only in the cities.  Driving licences here are for life so no problems about my husband losing his yet but Aus is a different kettle of fish.  His Aus licence ran out about 2 years ago and we think by the time we get back, if ever, he'll be too old or would have to sit another test and that wouldn't do at all.   Can you suggest names of places where I can have look on the internet to see what they're like where transport is available.  No good us living way out any more as much as we'd like but maybe there are some rural areas where a bus service is available to people who don't own a car anymore.

Living in France has been a wonderful experience but the biggest drawback is not speaking the language fluently.  It stops you from integrating and causes a l;ot of stress particularly over the telephone.  I speak a little but my husband none so if I pop off first and we're still here, heaven help him.    

No matter how much research you do wherever you land it's always a question of swings and roundabouts.  I don't think I would head for Tasmania if I were younger and had a family.  From what I've read it's difficult to get jobs and that's no good if you have a family.  Tassie is not for all but it does seem to have interesting features and lovely fresh air!   Cost of living sounds high in Aus now partiicularly more so in Tas but one would expect that.  I can't believe the price of houses.  How the youngsters get a look in I've no idea.  Same as in the uk I'm told.

Anyway thanks for your pointers and maybe I'll hear from the others you mentioned.  

• Like 1

Hello Libbye,

I can only speak for northern Launceston so I am trying to give you an example of what is available in our area.  I live in an old colonial village just outside of the the the northern capital of Tasmania Launceston. Hobart being our capital.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evandale,_Tasmania.

"Evandale is situated in the Australian state of Tasmania, on the South Esk River 20 km south of Launceston and 5 km from the main highway and Launceston Airport.

"Evandale today is a National Trust classified Georgian village, popular with tourists for its unspoiled heritage buildings notably St Andrews Church, the Uniting Church, with its classical bell tower and Doric columns, Blenheim (1832) in High Street; Royal Oak (1840) and adjoining stables now Evandale Antiques, Clarendon Arms Hotel (1847) and Fallgrove (1826) in Russell Street; Solomon House (1836), and the saddler's shop (1840) at the intersection of Russell Street and High Street".  http://www.evandaletasmania.com/history.html. We are pretty self sufficient in this small village i.e. medical centre, a selection of small shops, Sunday markets comprising of fresh fruit and vegetables, antiques and bric a brac. Woolworths & Coles are in abundance in Launceston with online delivery services.  I would perhaps suggest you choose somewhere with good medical facilities & social services and certainly Launceston General Hospital enjoys a wonderful reputation . Although we havent tried the bus service I do believe it is pretty good/http://www.tassielink.com.au/tassielink-government-concessions  Launceston airport is a hop & skip away.  Properties such as these are available http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-tas-evandale-124800650. Perth (Tasmania) is another smallish village just outside of Launceston https://www.domain.com.au/sale/perth-tas-7300/?gclid=CLWZiPHRrtMCFcRMvQod_6YKug and for example this cottage goes for around $285.000https://www.domain.com.au/10-acacia-court-perth-tas-7300-2013365041.  

In Launceston itself, have a look at Real Estate.Com / http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/between-250000-400000-in-launceston%2c+tas+7250/list-1?source=location-search

Although I live in a wonderful old two storey home in Evandale,  single floor cottages are readily available. I am not sure about the rental market but also and I am led to believe that "affordable housing i.e. various churches have properties for rent.(??). I think Skani lives in Hobart and Toots in Devonport so regarding pensioner concessions etc they are more likely to be able to assist you than I can but they will put you on the right path.

http://www.concessions.tas.gov.au/

There are some wonderful old villages in Tasmania but the old adage of "location location" particularly without a car and good hospital accessability  should be important for you both as well as choosing "flat terraine"  as a good many places are built  on sloping declines.

We dont have passenger trains in Tasmania! Its basically buses throughout the whole state / and planes or The Spirit of Tasmania from Melbourne to Devonport.

Regarding driving licenses have a look at http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/licensing/information/older_drivers  " It would be just a question of changing your husband's licence over at https://www.service.tas.gov.au/. Drivers over the age of 75  are no longer required to take an annual medical.

I wish you well with your research, and hope this just gives you a taster but feel free to ask as many questions as you like, I am sure one of us can try and point you in the right direction.

Kind regards

Evandale

Edited by Evandale
Page Layout!

Hi Libbye. We live in Tasmania about 25 minutes from Hobart in a semi rural area but a bus service runs past the bottom of our road to and from Hobart, several times a day there are lots of bus services as there are no trains. We have lived here for 10 years after coming from the UK and love it here. There's a lot of similarities to the English countryside and lots to see and do. It's difficult to suggest areas without knowing more about your requirements. Many older properties are single story and house are generally more expensive close to the city due to east commuting for workers etc. it can be cheaper in the outer suburbs where you can catch buses in and out. It may be worth looking at places you like the look of and then asking for more information on the area on here. Driving here is easy as there's not the amount of traffic as there is on the mainland. There are main hospitals in Hobart and Launceston. We are content with the thought of having an older life here and my exercise classes are full of older people who stay fit and healthy here. There seems to be lots of things for older people to do and lots of free places to get out and about to enjoy. A beautiful Botanical Gardens, a waterfront, lots of parks and most major tourist things are all within a half an hour drive. Tasmania is Australia's best kept secret! 

Gosh what helpful people you are.  Like the look of some of the places especially if they have a bus service.  I need things to join in or

somewhere to meet people as where I am in France I liken it to a cemetary with the lights on!  It would be nice to start living again.  Not

that I haven't enjoyed my time here as it's very different and interesting and learning french has kept my mind reasonably active.  

Mrs. May has rather thrown a spanner in the works with regard to selling houses here to english people as everything seems to close

down until it's all over.  Although saying that our house should appeal to the french as it's very modern and clean.  Anyway it's been lovely reading your posts

and gives me an insight into Tassie.which I know nothing about except from what I read.  Someone did say there's an island mentality but exactly what that means I'm not sure!  At nearly 80 I don't care anyway.  As long as people are friendly and kind and give you the time of day what more can we ask.  We are stilll full of fun and hav a great sense of humour.

Incidentally can you send a private message from this forum?

2 hours ago, libbye said:

Gosh what helpful people you are.  Like the look of some of the places especially if they have a bus service.  I need things to join in or

somewhere to meet people as where I am in France I liken it to a cemetary with the lights on!  It would be nice to start living again.  Not

that I haven't enjoyed my time here as it's very different and interesting and learning french has kept my mind reasonably active.  

Mrs. May has rather thrown a spanner in the works with regard to selling houses here to english people as everything seems to close

down until it's all over.  Although saying that our house should appeal to the french as it's very modern and clean.  Anyway it's been lovely reading your posts

and gives me an insight into Tassie.which I know nothing about except from what I read.  Someone did say there's an island mentality but exactly what that means I'm not sure!  At nearly 80 I don't care anyway.  As long as people are friendly and kind and give you the time of day what more can we ask.  We are stilll full of fun and hav a great sense of humour.

Regarding "Island Mentality"  sure, probably the same as "Island mentality Britian" .. Insular?? who knows, but I find the people very friendly and reasonably open minded and we have never found it a problem in making friends. I love this state.  naive, innocent way of life here, its uncomplicated!  My better half is a Tasmanian born and bred but in general the acceptance level of migrants is very healthy! 

What I do love is coming home from work Melbourne to Launceston and there is a "village like" atmosphere on the planes, with people generally knowing each other.. smiles all around!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, libbye said:

I think we'd need to look at Tassie and so my question to all you

lovely people is where would you look to buy/rent for medical services, transport (as probably won't be allowed to drive now) and if

to buy prices between $250,000-$350000?

Although house prices are going silly  in some areas of Tassie (IMHO) your price range is still achievable even in Hobart (my local area).  A couple of examples:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-tas-blackmans+bay-125038494

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-tas-lindisfarne-125188682

Another alternative worth considering is a specific retirement village where you live independently - in varying configurations from a 1 bedroom unit to a 3 bedroom house - but have assistance with maintenance or gardening if required and access to communal facilities, help with housework or medical monitoring if required.  So you can be as independent....or not....as you wish.    There are quite a few of these in the Hobart area - some examples below.

https://www.seniorshousingonline.com.au/property/sale/3065/baldwin-care-vaucluse-gardens-retirement-village

https://www.aveo.com.au/retirement-villages/tas/hobart/aveo-derwent-waters/

http://www.oaktreegroup.com.au/kingston-about-village.html

http://www.rochesbeachliving.com.au/

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-retirement+living-tas-kingston-125102630

http://www.fairwayrise.com.au/?page_id=1204#!prettyPhoto

http://www.fairwayrise.com.au/?page_id=664

• Like 1

4 hours ago, libbye said:

Yes, you can.  Click on the profile icony thing of the member you wish to contact (or just hover your mouse over it) and you will see the "Message" envelope icon appear.  Then click on that.   Don't hesitate to bombard us with questions. :-)

16 hours ago, Evandale said:

What I do love is coming home from work Melbourne to Launceston and there is a "village like" atmosphere on the planes, with people generally knowing each other.. smiles all around!

Had to chuckle at this.  I'm always surprised if I'm on a plane from Melbourne or Sydney to Hobart and I don't see anyone I know.  

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:20 PM, libbye said:

Hello there, thank you for your response.  sorry to hear you've lost your licence.  what a pain.  I know we lived in the bush for many years in Victoria, with only a generator at one stage, so do know how difficult life can be.  I know all about being isolated too.  We love being in the countryside and still are to a point in Brittany but need the car as there's no transport at all in rural areas, only in the cities.  Driving licences here are for life so no problems about my husband losing his yet but Aus is a different kettle of fish.  His Aus licence ran out about 2 years ago and we think by the time we get back, if ever, he'll be too old or would have to sit another test and that wouldn't do at all.   Can you suggest names of places where I can have look on the internet to see what they're like where transport is available.  No good us living way out any more as much as we'd like but maybe there are some rural areas where a bus service is available to people who don't own a car anymore.

Living in France has been a wonderful experience but the biggest drawback is not speaking the language fluently.  It stops you from integrating and causes a l;ot of stress particularly over the telephone.  I speak a little but my husband none so if I pop off first and we're still here, heaven help him.    

No matter how much research you do wherever you land it's always a question of swings and roundabouts.  I don't think I would head for Tasmania if I were younger and had a family.  From what I've read it's difficult to get jobs and that's no good if you have a family.  Tassie is not for all but it does seem to have interesting features and lovely fresh air!   Cost of living sounds high in Aus now partiicularly more so in Tas but one would expect that.  I can't believe the price of houses.  How the youngsters get a look in I've no idea.  Same as in the uk I'm told.

Anyway thanks for your pointers and maybe I'll hear from the others you mentioned.  

I moved to WA from France, but from Central not too far from Paris. France has/had a lot going for it, in the way of pension and heath care. But your question are regards to Australia and Tasmania in general. I'm afraid I can be of little help regarding that, as it remains the only state not yet been to. My observations though would be certain similarities to Brittany, (which I do know) but more remote if seeking a rural location.

But in my opinion if not speaking the language after twelve years to a reasonable extent a return to Australia, is in all likelihood the way to go. I can only imagine the difficulties to be of an age, in a country and perhaps having health issues as well as mobility would seriously under mine quality of life.

I had considered a move to Portugal, a country I adore, but don't speak the language, and unlikely to reach any degree of fluency at this stage. (a hard language to boot) Besides Brexit has probably dashed any chances of that or a French return (my Carte de Sejour has long expired)

Tasmania or possibly SA do appears cheaper options in a country where real estate is religion and long ago went heavenwards in price. WA prices are repairing a little, but still over the top.

There are of course some larger rural cities/towns where reasonable health care can be found and maintain a public transport system of sorts.

Anyway Bonne Chance where ever you end up ... 

Hi  your observations are spot on and funnily enough we've several friends here who are actually going to move to Portugal very soon for various reasons. One being the inheritance law in France is a big problem for some, cost of living has risen sharply, uncertainty with brexit  which Portugal has addressed in a helpful way thus giving confidence to wouldbe immigrants, change of government etc.   We wouldn't entertain a move there for the same point you raise, language.  As tempting as Portugalt sounds it causes too much stress at our age.  The health service in France is still second to none and we've been very impressed.  A different kettle of fish in  Aus but then one has to bite the bullet and not expect every box to be ticked.  I've been overwhelmed by the response I've had from my initial post.  Such a lot of good advice and information which we're digesting but as properties take forever to sell here it could be long time coming or we could be waving to one and all from the clouds!  

Many thanks for your comments.  Interesting.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 5:55 PM, libbye said:

"A different kettle of fish in  Aus but then one has to bite the bullet and not expect every box to be ticked."Having lived in many places in the world including France, I have been  inordinately impressed with the health service here in Australia both in the public and private sector.  I find it hard to find any negative to say about it! We are blessed!

Evandale - I'm glad you've found the Aussie medical sector impressive.  The trouble is we've had some horrible experiences in Victoria and although

time has passed it's always hard to forget the nasty bits.  Still guess it's the same everywhere but when a system nearly kills your husband it's tough. Am still willing to give it a go though always remembering the aussie saying "no worries mate"!.  lol

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, libbye said:

Hi  your observations are spot on and funnily enough we've several friends here who are actually going to move to Portugal very soon for various reasons. One being the inheritance law in France is a big problem for some, cost of living has risen sharply, uncertainty with brexit  which Portugal has addressed in a helpful way thus giving confidence to wouldbe immigrants, change of government etc.   We wouldn't entertain a move there for the same point you raise, language.  As tempting as Portugalt sounds it causes too much stress at our age.  The health service in France is still second to none and we've been very impressed.  A different kettle of fish in  Aus but then one has to bite the bullet and not expect every box to be ticked.  I've been overwhelmed by the response I've had from my initial post.  Such a lot of good advice and information which we're digesting but as properties take forever to sell here it could be long time coming or we could be waving to one and all from the clouds!  

Many thanks for your comments.  Interesting.

Yes health care is very good in France and I certainly have my qualms with standards in places in Australia) (beautiful country as well)It can be good but a little too hit and miss in areas and private health is in a mess in my opinion. If language was your only concern living in France, the Dordogne region has areas heavily British populated and many don't speak French. Like wise Spain. Portugal has free health care, or near enough to countries outside EU that have receptacle agreements. Australians would be fine. I believe it is possible to live under 1000 Euro a month in places like Setubal etc. Lisboa would of course cost more.

The important thing IMO though is to go where the heart tells you. The only thing being a rather long way to come, if feel unsettled at a later stage. Europe is rather special, not being as easy to shake off as we may expect. (in my case anyway)  Ireland another popular place for some as well. No 'real' language difficulties there.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, libbye said:

Evandale - I'm glad you've found the Aussie medical sector impressive.  The trouble is we've had some horrible experiences in Victoria and although

time has passed it's always hard to forget the nasty bits.  Still guess it's the same everywhere but when a system nearly kills your husband it's tough. Am still willing to give it a go though always remembering the aussie saying "no worries mate"!.  lol

There are still some concern going around. I'm not quite sure the 'no worries mate' anthem of old, plays a part what so ever when a surgeon performs in a haphazard way when under the knife than the 'establishment' rounds the wagons on itself, and action proves near impossible. Some horror stories out there to be sure.

On 4/19/2017 at 1:31 AM, tassieheather said:

Hi Libbye. We live in Tasmania about 25 minutes from Hobart in a semi rural area but a bus service runs past the bottom of our road to and from Hobart, several times a day there are lots of bus services as there are no trains. We have lived here for 10 years after coming from the UK and love it here. There's a lot of similarities to the English countryside and lots to see and do. It's difficult to suggest areas without knowing more about your requirements. Many older properties are single story and house are generally more expensive close to the city due to east commuting for workers etc. it can be cheaper in the outer suburbs where you can catch buses in and out. It may be worth looking at places you like the look of and then asking for more information on the area on here. Driving here is easy as there's not the amount of traffic as there is on the mainland. There are main hospitals in Hobart and Launceston. We are content with the thought of having an older life here and my exercise classes are full of older people who stay fit and healthy here. There seems to be lots of things for older people to do and lots of free places to get out and about to enjoy. A beautiful Botanical Gardens, a waterfront, lots of parks and most major tourist things are all within a half an hour drive. Tasmania is Australia's best kept secret! 

what suburbs would you recommend around Hobart please?   Won't be coming any day soon but I like to see what's on offer although of course I realise it could well have changed for better or worse by the time we can sell up here.  There are so many brits desperately wanting to sell in Brittany so if anyone would like to do a transfer you'll get a beautiful property for nearly nothing!

Love Brittany, adore the culture, the architecture and am proficient in the language but no thanks / I feel far more secure here in Australia and whilst La France has so much culturally to offer we are better suited to the Australiasia way of life personally!

22 hours ago, libbye said:

what suburbs would you recommend around Hobart please?   

I personally prefer the southern suburbs on the western shore (closest to the mountain).  Their suitability will vary depending on your budget and how close you want to be to the CBD.   But, starting closest and working out, these are Battery Point, South Hobart, Dynnyrne (pronounced DeNURN ;-)),  Sandy Bay,   Mount Nelson, Taroona, Kingston, Blackmans Bay.   Some people prefer the eastern shore  - and there are some nice areas in suburbs such as   Lindisfarne. Howrah and Tranmere.

Skani - absolutely.  no-one has any idea what ramifications there are going to be especially if (god help us) Marie le Penn gets voted in as president.  One alternative is to become a french citizen but that entails answering a heap of questions all in french plus any other curlies they decide to throw at us.  Many older people, like us, think it's time to come home anyway.  We've had our fun and excitement and although personally we don't expect the family to fall at our feet on our return nor do we expect to be "looked" after, it's nice to know you all speak the same language and will offer a helping hand if necessary.  Brexit is causing problems some never thought about but I won't go on about it on here.  It's done now and I fear there's worse to come.  Maybe not, we don't have a crystal ball but it's going to be an interesting few years.  The most serious problem facing those of us who wish to sell up is seeing our life's investment disappear as the housing market is in a dire situation.  Still that's life and as they say C'est la vie.