Are migrants discriminated against?

lbooth

Hi

My partner and I are looking to emigrate in the next year but worried with the recent visa changes that even if we do get granted a visa, we wont find work as employers will favour an Australian candidate (of a lower standard - obviously not looking for preferential treatment!). 

Has anyone had experience of this kind of discrimination or am I just being paranoid?

Cheers :)

When I first moved, it took me 3 months to get a job. A lot of the questions I was asked by employers and agents were, if not discriminatory, certainly sceptical of any immigrant especially "fresh off the boat". I arrived on a 189, have great experience and qualifications (in IT) and eventually had to take something far below my skill and experience. Now I've established myself, I've been looking a while now again, and I can say I'm coming up against a lot of the familiar scepticism. I'm English by the way.

This may be the IT industry, or the area of IT I work in (support or ideally infrastructure), rather than the job market in general, but it's the only area of my life I've not been welcomed with open arms.

• Like 1

On another tack, the comments this week by Peter Dutton (Borders and Immigration secretary) are certainly unhelpful. With them attacking the 457, Dutton refused to narrow his criticism to just temporary residents, and said in a recent TV interview I watched "Australian's first for Australian jobs, only employ an immigrant as a last resort." I cannot believe that statements like this won't have an effect in a competitive job market.

• Like 2

I was just about to start a new thread about this after all the latest visa changes but you beat me to it.?

My question is slightly different because I realise the job market is far more competitive in certain states than it was so harder to secure work.Hard to say if that is discrimination or not though we currently have a world wide wave of, "taking our jobs"

Sorry to hijack your thread but I will add to it. Once people secure a job do you experience any discrimination or racism in or outside the workplace in this current climate? When I was there in 2010 it was generally accepted in my area of work they had a shortage of skilled workers and that's why I was recruited. I found a handful of people in the workplace a little standoffish but nothing major. Did have a couple of idiots take the piss out of my accent one time which I classed as banter even though I didn't like it as it was in front of the public. Generally people were friendly and interested in where you are from and you are still called a Pom which was fine with me ? Yes I seen a little verbal racism not against me but against coloured people but it still exists in the UK and elsewhere. At that time it seemed they weren't so politically correct in what they say like we are here in the UK.

If I was to return in the near future because I have the chance to I would feel uncomfortable if I was seen as the person taking our jobs and treated as such. It was hard enough last time feeling like an alien who has just landed trying to adapt and settle without discriminatory actions against you as well. It's easier when you live and work where you come from and you don't have to think about these things even though people have migrated around the world for centuries.

So what's it like for those of you who have recently settled in Australia in this current mad world climate?

7 hours ago, gtaylor30 said:

On another tack, the comments this week by Peter Dutton (Borders and Immigration secretary) are certainly unhelpful. With them attacking the 457, Dutton refused to narrow his criticism to just temporary residents, and said in a recent TV interview I watched "Australian's first for Australian jobs, only employ an immigrant as a last resort." I cannot believe that statements like this won't have an effect in a competitive job market.

This is our worry - I appreciate they are doing the right thing for the country but IMO if they have enough Aussies for the job then it wouldnt be on the skills list! 

Its a hard decision - we dont want to pass up the opportunity of being able to move over while we have a job on the list but equally we dont want to move and then be told "you've taken someone's job" or worse be left without employment! 

On 4/18/2017 at 1:29 PM, Kirstyj said:

We have been here over a year now and we have not found any discrimination when applying for work, if you were the best person for the job then you got it.  

Can I ask what you do/where you are? Glad you've found it ok :) 

• Like 1

When I first arrived I got friendly with Australian Colleagues, they'd had their fill of Brits coming over (nursing) and immediately bagging the system and the immortal words of "in the UK we did/had etc., etc., to the point that my friend said ...if it was so good why did they leave.

I think, like anywhere you have to be conscious of working in a new environment, new processes etc., and not to come across as being 'too good for the job'.  My personal experience was that I was a senior nurse in the UK but took a job on the wards as an RN to get my foot in the door, learn the new processes and build from there.

• Like 6

On 4/18/2017 at 6:51 AM, lbooth said:

Hi

My partner and I are looking to emigrate in the next year but worried with the recent visa changes that even if we do get granted a visa, we wont find work as employers will favour an Australian candidate (of a lower standard - obviously not looking for preferential treatment!). 

Has anyone had experience of this kind of discrimination or am I just being paranoid?

Why worry about things you do not control and ultimately migration is a voluntary choice since I assume the nation of Australia is not trying to pull you you away forcibly from wherever you are now...so if you choose to migrate you do so at your own risk (that is one way of looking at it at least since your question appears to be based on the fear of something negative).

43 minutes ago, ali said:

When I first arrived I got friendly with Australian Colleagues, they'd had their fill of Brits coming over (nursing) and immediately bagging the system and the immortal works of "in the UK we did/had etc., etc., to the point that my friend said ...if it was so good why did they leave.

I think, like anywhere you have to be conscious of working in a new environment, new processes etc., and not to come across as being 'too good for the job'.  My personal experience was that I was a senior nurse in the UK but took a job on the wards as an RN to get my foot in the door, learn the new processes and build from there.

Quite right I was working for the ambulance service and I sometimes had to stop myself saying that ?

You have to fully embrace whatever you are doing and do it the Australian way.Just play the game and tell yourself I came for the lifestyle not the job, which was what I did.If you keep going on moaning and groaning you will soon be known as the whinging Pom ?

• Like 2

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 11:51 AM, lbooth said:

Hi

What do you do? It will vary by sector and it will also depend on whether the hiring manager is an Aussie or a migrant which again will vary by sector.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

What do you do? It will vary by sector and it will also depend on whether the hiring manager is an Aussie or a migrant which again will vary by sector.

My partner is a chemical engineer and I'm a project manager (although I'm hoping for a change when we get over there :)

4 minutes ago, lbooth said:

My partner is a chemical engineer and I'm a project manager (although I'm hoping for a change when we get over there :)

I would have said the private sector in science and  technology is less likely to have a preference that said my experience is based on NSW. I know WA has been hard hit by the mining down turn so there could be a lot of competition. Other members ftom WA are better placed to comment.

Guest The Pom Queen
7 hours ago, doubter said:

I was just about to start a new thread about this after all the latest visa changes but you beat me to it.?

My question is slightly different because I realise the job market is far more competitive in certain states than it was so harder to secure work.Hard to say if that is discrimination or not though we currently have a world wide wave of, "taking our jobs"

Sorry to hijack your thread but I will add to it. Once people secure a job do you experience any discrimination or racism in or outside the workplace in this current climate? When I was there in 2010 it was generally accepted in my area of work they had a shortage of skilled workers and that's why I was recruited. I found a handful of people in the workplace a little standoffish but nothing major. Did have a couple of idiots take the piss out of my accent one time which I classed as banter even though I didn't like it as it was in front of the public. Generally people were friendly and interested in where you are from and you are still called a Pom which was fine with me ? Yes I seen a little verbal racism not against me but against coloured people but it still exists in the UK and elsewhere. At that time it seemed they weren't so politically correct in what they say like we are here in the UK.

If I was to return in the near future because I have the chance to I would feel uncomfortable if I was seen as the person taking our jobs and treated as such. It was hard enough last time feeling like an alien who has just landed trying to adapt and settle without discriminatory actions against you as well. It's easier when you live and work where you come from and you don't have to think about these things even though people have migrated around the world for centuries.

So what's it like for those of you who have recently settled in Australia in this current mad world climate?

In my first job I had no problems but then I was new to working with Aussie wildlife. In my second job I was head hunted and the people who worked under me were not happy that I was the one who became their boss and in the end I was bullied until I left. If you are coming in at a similar level then you should be fine but they don't like taking orders from new arrivals. 

On 4/18/2017 at 8:51 PM, lbooth said:

Hi

Of course foreign applicants should be discriminated against if there is a local candidate that can do the job.

Exactly as you would expect the UK to employ a local rather than a Polish jobseeker.

Why should this be surprising ? Every country first has to look after their own citizens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

In my first job I had no problems but then I was new to working with Aussie wildlife. In my second job I was head hunted and the people who worked under me were not happy that I was the one who became their boss and in the end I was bullied until I left. If you are coming in at a similar level then you should be fine but they don't like taking orders from new arrivals. 

I would imagine the same applies everywhere. I for one do/would not like to 'take orders' from a new arrival, unfamiliar with local terrain. I feel certain that the sentiment would get across adequately expressing as much.

Only natural newcomers to some extent take a step back and learn the ropes. My question would be though, unless disclosed, just how would the 'shop floor' be aware their 'boss' is just of the boat?

41 minutes ago, Parley said:

Of course foreign applicants should be discriminated against if there is a local candidate that can do the job.

Exactly as you would expect the UK to employ a local rather than a Polish jobseeker.

Why should this be surprising ? Every country first has to look after their own citizens.

Well not exactly if we had an immigration policy performing the task it was meant to do. That being of course to fill roles, that after proper market testing, have been shown to be unable to be filled by a already landed person.

The policy as has been in place during recent is clearly subversive of 'normal' procedure and the question is the wonder of not greater intolerance as a result of this.

• Like 1

I would imagine the same applies everywhere. I for one do/would not like to 'take orders' from a new arrival, unfamiliar with local terrain. I feel certain that the sentiment would get across adequately expressing as much.
Only natural newcomers to some extent take a step back and learn the ropes. My question would be though, unless disclosed, just how would the 'shop floor' be aware their 'boss' is just of the boat?

Where do you draw the line? If someone was 'Australian' but had moved interstate would this not be new territory also?

When I arrived in Australia 12 years ago I honestly thought 'Australia' gave everyone a 'fair go' ... I can honestly say that from my broad range of experience this is not necessarily the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, lbooth said:

Awesome - we are looking to go to the west coast too :) 

We love it here, yes people are always calling me a Pom and take the Micky out of my accent as I'm from Lancashire, but I lived in Edinburgh before coming here and I found that was a lot worse, and you always get 'I love the way you talk' , I take it with a pinch of salt as we all do it.  Anyway a sunny 28deg in Perth today a lovely autumn day think it's time to go for a swim ???‍♀️?‍♀️X

• Like 5