Snap General Election Called

VERYSTORMY

Just reading through some of the comments it's quite clear the conservative's are not liked and are being criticised for jumping in with the DUP and think that Mr Corbyn should be forming the next government and become PM 

unless I have missed something would Mr Corbyn not also have jump into bed with the DUP

I have still not worked out how Mr Corbyn proposed to fund everything in his manifesto the 11 billion to pay for student loans or the 5% pay increase for everyone  just a couple of items , maybe it's money saved from leaving the EU who knows 

maybe it's from the Diane Abbott school of economics that all seems to work out fine if you can believe what she said. 

As it stands the country is up sh## Creek with out a paddle , it's about time we got some decent politicians from all parties that are prepared to put the good of the country and the people first , but this will never happen in my life time they are all more concerned about what's in it for themselves , pensions , expenses and giving themselves above award inflation rises . 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Just reading through some of the comments it's quite clear the conservative's are not liked and are being criticised for jumping in with the DUP and think that Mr Corbyn should be forming the next government and become PM 

unless I have missed something would Mr Corbyn not also have jump into bed with the DUP

I have still not worked out how Mr Corbyn proposed to fund everything in his manifesto the 11 billion to pay for student loans or the 5% pay increase for everyone  just a couple of items , maybe it's money saved from leaving the EU who knows 

maybe it's from the Diane Abbott school of economics that all seems to work out fine if you can believe what she said. 

As it stands the country is up sh## Creek with out a paddle , it's about time we got some decent politicians from all parties that are prepared to put the good of the country and the people first , but this will never happen in my life time they are all more concerned about what's in it for themselves , pensions , expenses and giving themselves above award inflation rises . 

Corbyn doesn't have a mandate.

Neither does May.

Article fifty has been triggered and the clock is ticking.

It is a war like situation, and I believe in the war did the parties not join to form a coalition?

I would suggest olive branches are in order, and a brexit coalition needed.

Then agree to have another election post brexit.

I don't think backing out is an option, as I doubt the EU will allow it. We would have been edged out sometime over the next ten years, so it may as well be now as far as they are concerned.

Let's try and get the best deal we can, and try and preserve our economy, industry and jobs.

It won't happen though. People will die because of this. The next Manchester may well not involve Islam.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_war_ministry

Edited by newjez

Corbyn doing a deal with the DUP  would be like Trump betting into bed with Hilary Clinton.  But even if that happened Labour won 56 fewer seats than the Tories.  So they would need to do a deal with multiple parties one of which would have to be the Lib Dems who have categorically ruled out doing  deals . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, newjez said:

Corbyn doesn't have a mandate.

Neither does May.

Article fifty has been triggered and the clock is ticking.

It is a war like situation, and I believe in the war did the parties not join to form a coalition?

I would suggest olive branches are in order, and a brexit coalition needed.

Then agree to have another election post brexit.

I don't think backing out is an option, as I doubt the EU will allow it. We would have been edged out sometime over the next ten years, so it may as well be now as far as they are concerned.

Let's try and get the best deal we can, and try and preserve our economy, industry and jobs.

It won't happen though. People will die because of this. The next Manchester may well not involve Islam.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_war_ministry

This is ridiculously over the top and melodramatic.  Always a good idea to read through ehat you have typed before hitting the send button and committing random thoughts to the thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Corbyn doing a deal with the DUP  would be like Trump betting into bed with Hilary Clinton.  But even if that happened Labour won 56 fewer seats than the Tories.  So they would need to do a deal with multiple parties one of which would have to be the Lib Dems who have categorically ruled out doing  deals . 

I can't help wondering whether Corbyn is being a bit 'tongue in cheek' with his talk of governing on the basis of the election result.  He is of course perfectly entitled to put up proposed amendments to May's Queens Speech but it would be merely a debating point with no prospect of being passed.

2 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

I disagree @newjez I think the EU would allow us to back out of Brexit, Juncker is on record saying he would and so is some other Eurocrat whose name I have forgotten. Britain may have more to lose but Brexit will cost the EU as well. 

For goodness sake, Brexit is going to happen.

3 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

This is ridiculously over the top and melodramatic.  Always a good idea to read through ehat you have typed before hitting the send button and committing random thoughts to the thread.

Maybe it will happen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/12/tory-labour-mps-plot-secret-deal-ensure-soft-brexit/

I don't think I'm being melodramatic. The UK has backed itself into a shocking state of affairs, and if they are not careful there are some particularly nasty potential outcomes. Let's hope they see sense and work together. 

Edited by newjez

1 hour ago, newjez said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/12/ruth-davidson-suggests-theresa-may-ready-change-brexit-strategy/

And one from the Torygraph. Oh dear..... Oh deary me......

Schadenfreude with a touch of sugar & a pinch of nuts seems to be the dish of the day. 

Re the post i put up earlier:

REVEALED: The List Of DUP Demands In Exchange For Helping Tories

It's not sectarian, it's satire.  It comes from a very funny satirical website called Waterford Whispers news.  They poke at lots of things.  I thought it was obvious, espeically with the :biglaugh: emoji's at the begining.  Just trying to lighten the mood and give people a laugh.

Although, most satire starts with a grain of truth.

BTW - I'm an Aethist and dislike all religions equally - Is that sectarian?

Edited by Collie

10 hours ago, simmo said:

so you're a republican.  Who'd of guessed it.

Well that depends on your definition of a republican and the answer will depend on the context.

In it's purest sense (see the following def), yes I would consider myself a republican and was raised in a republic with an elected Head of State.  Recent Presidents have represented the country with distinction and have been good Statesmen/women.   

However the term has come to mean different things in different jurisdictions.  In Ireland, the term has been hijacked by the Shinners through the troubles and relates mainly to the status of NI.  I certainly would not be a SF supporter and am indifferent to the topic of a United Ireland (on economic terms).

In the US, it refers more to the Republican political party & my beliefs would not align with theirs, particularly on social policy which ironically enough would be close to the DUP.

In Australia (my home), it refers to replacing a foreign monarch with an An Australian as Head of State and I would be supportive of that.  

A republic (Latin: res publica) is a form of government in which the country is considered a "public matter" – not the private concern or property of the rulers – and where offices of state are elected or appointed, rather than inherited. It is a government where the head of state is not a monarch.[1][2][3]

In American English, the definition of a republic can also refer specifically to a government in which elected individuals represent the citizen body, known elsewhere as a representative democracy (a democratic republic),[4] and exercise power according to the rule of law (a constitutional republic).[5][6][2]

Hope that clarifies it for you Simmo :D

#reasoned argument beats trolls everytime

Yep - I have no problem with a meritocracy rather than an inherited monarchy.  I know many English people who feel the same. 

You must struggle with your anti - immigrant views and being a monarchist when the monarchy are a bunch of German and Greek immigrants.  I'm interested in how you resolve that contradiction in your mind.

4 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

The end of austerity......thats got to be a good thing.....give those public sector workers a pay rise and put some more money into the NHS.

So where's the cash flowing from to pay for all of these public sector wage increases and the NHS?

9 minutes ago, kungfustu said:

being an Irish Republican is not about religion......its a way of life....its about teaching your kids to hate anything and everything to do with the British.

Well, that's not my definition or anybody I know in Ireland.

I can see where you got that impression based on the provos and the troubles of the 70's,80s and 90s but it is not representative of the vast vast majority of Irish people, many of whom have British family members.  That is the hi-jacking of the term by the Shinners.

I encourage you to visit the republic of Ireland sometime, you will receive a warm welcome.

• Like 1

I dont think TM has a lot of choice to be honest.....austerity was the brain child of GO and DC and at the time was as good a plan as any......7 years later its probably time to make some changes and as TM has no majority within her own party she has got little choice but to appease some of her critics and back benchers......its also not fair on those public sector workers that have been hit hard for the past 7 years.

1 minute ago, Collie said:

Well, that's not my definition or anybody I know in Ireland.

I can see where you got that impression based on the provos and the troubles of the 70's,80s and 90s but it is not representative of the vast vast majority of Irish people, many of whom have British family members.  That is the hi-jacking of the term by the Shinners.

I encourage you to visit the republic of Ireland sometime, you will receive a warm welcome.

:laugh:.....where on earth do you think I gleaned this impression????

18 minutes ago, Collie said:

Yep - I have no problem with a meritocracy rather than an inherited monarchy.  I know many English people who feel the same. 

You must struggle with your anti - immigrant views and being a monarchist when the monarchy are a bunch of German and Greek immigrants.  I'm interested in how you resolve that contradiction in your mind.

Britain is a Democracy not a Monarchy and where did you get the idea I was "anti-immigrant"? I can see that you struggle with anything outside your belief system.

• Like 1