Skilled Occupations List April 2017

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Only certain occupations are approved for use under Australia’s permanent and temporary skilled visa programmes. These occupations are listed in a legislative instrument that contains two schedules or ‘occupation lists’ that apply to different visa programmes.  

On 19 April 2017, the:

• Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) replaced the previous ‘Skilled Occupation List’ (SOL) and is available in Schedule 1 of the relevant legislative instrument
  • Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) replaced the previous ‘Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List’ (CSOL) and is available in Schedule 2 of the relevant legislative instrument.

The information below explains which lists are relevant for particular visa programmes. Information is also provided about occupations that were removed from the list of eligible skilled occupations on 19 April 2017.

Note: different eligible occupation arrangements are in place for the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 186).

List of eligible skilled occupations

Only certain occupations are approved for use under Australia’s permanent and temporary skilled visa programmes. These occupations are listed in a legislative instrument that contains two schedules or ‘occupation lists’ that apply to different visa programmes.  

On 19 April 2017, the:

• Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) replaced the previous ‘Skilled Occupation List’ (SOL) and is available in Schedule 1 of the relevant legislative instrument
  • Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) replaced the previous ‘Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List’ (CSOL) and is available in Schedule 2 of the relevant legislative instrument.

The information below explains which lists are relevant for particular visa programmes. Information is also provided about occupations that were removed from the list of eligible skilled occupations on 19 April 2017.

Note: different eligible occupation arrangements are in place for the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 186).

Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) 

You must nominate an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)if you are applying for any of the below:

Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) 

There is no separate STSOL list on our website as visa programmes that utilise this list can also access some additional occupations on the MLTSSL. For ease of reference, we have combined both the STSOL and the eligible MLTSSL occupations  together. See: Combined list of eligible skilled occupations.

You must nominate an occupation on this Combined list of eligible skilled occupations  if you are applying for any of the below:

Removed occupations 

On 19 April 2017, 200 occupations were removed entirely from the STSOL.

See:List of the removed occupations 

A further 16 occupations on the MLTSSL were restricted to only apply to the following visa programmes:

See: Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)

These changes will only apply to new applications lodged on, or after, 19 April 2017 for:

However, for the subclass 457 programme for any of these removed occupations on, or after, 19 April 2017:

• no visa applications can be granted
  • no nomination applications can be approved.

Source: DIBP

Guest The Pom Queen
1 minute ago, Migrate2017 said:

Apart from the change of name of SOL and CSOL, what are the new changes brought?

Look at occupations that have been removed.

13 minutes ago, EmmaR said:

Also anyone have any idea where you can find out what exactly the caveats are on the new list when marked with *** asterisks?

Yes, migration agents have received an email from the Department of Immigration this afternoon with the occupation specific caveats.

It is at such times that having a communicative registered migration agent on board is a good thing, so informed decisions can be taken.

Best regards.

Guest The Pom Queen
Just now, Alan Collett said:

Yes, migration agents have received an email from the Department of Immigration this afternoon with the occupation specific caveats.

It is at such times that having a communicative registered migration agent on board is a good thing, so informed decisions can be taken.

Best regards.

Is there anywhere members can find them @Alan Collett as I'm thinking you are going to be very busy in the coming weeks. Or could you please post them here

4 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Is there anywhere members can find them @Alan Collett as I'm thinking you are going to be very busy in the coming weeks. Or could you please post them here

I'm not sure I am at liberty to post all the contents in my inbox received from the Department ...

Concerned persons should be speaking with/instructing a migration agent on a one to one basis.

Best regards.

2 minutes ago, marine8611 said:

Thanks for the reply .I am still wondering whether they will make changes to the new MLTSSL within the coming months ?

After the events of today I think you should recognise that changes to skilled occupations lists can happen at any time, and without notice.

That's why you should always apply for a visa while a pathway exists, if you are minded to move to Australia.

Best regards.

• Like 2

Oh no, both mines (HR Advisor) and husbands (intelligence officer) occupations have been removed from the list today. Wish we had started looking at emigrating sooner, looks like it will be near impossible for us with today's changes. 

It states a different list/criteria for 186 visas (employer nominated scheme) does anyone know what this criteria/list is or am I getting mixed up? There doesn't seem to be any other route in for us now :( 

Absolutely gutted! 

Thanks for the link detailing the caveats!

Sorry if this has already been asked but if you are on the new STSOL list is the only option now a 2 year visa? Or are 457 visa applications still applicable for the time being?

I'm currently in Australia on a working holiday visa so was hoping for sponsorship at some point this year and trying to understand what the options are for staying longer!

Would 1-2 years on a WHV count towards the 3 years now needed to apply for PR?

On 4/19/2017 at 6:21 AM, Lauren4512 said:

Oh no, both mines (HR Advisor) and husbands (intelligence officer) occupations have been removed from the list today. Wish we had started looking at emigrating sooner, looks like it will be near impossible for us with today's changes. 

It states a different list/criteria for 186 visas (employer nominated scheme) does anyone know what this criteria/list is or am I getting mixed up? There doesn't seem to be any other route in for us now :( 

Absolutely gutted! 

I applied for my 457 visa 5 months ago (as an HR Advisor) and was expecting my visa to be approved in the next couple of weeks. Now it has been removed from the list, it looks like i have no other option but to leave the country. 

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone could shed some light on the 457 news.
I am currently on a 457 and have been since May 2015 so I am very close to applying for PR and have my company in the process of doing so. I have another 2 years left on the 457 but also been here since August 2013 when I was on a 417. Am I right in saying current 457 holders rights to be here won't change even if your occupation is removed as you are already on a 457 and working?
Would I be best to spend the $10k for a migration agent to complete the paperwork for PR or spend $4k and get my company and myself to file for PR seeing as goal posts have now moved and may become more tricky?
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

21 hours ago, Nick32 said:

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone could shed some light on the 457 news.
I am currently on a 457 and have been since May 2015 so I am very close to applying for PR and have my company in the process of doing so. I have another 2 years left on the 457 but also been here since August 2013 when I was on a 417. Am I right in saying current 457 holders rights to be here won't change even if your occupation is removed as you are already on a 457 and working?
Would I be best to spend the $10k for a migration agent to complete the paperwork for PR or spend $4k and get my company and myself to file for PR seeing as goal posts have now moved and may become more tricky?
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

You should be fine because none of the changes have come into effect yet and the earliest aren't proposed to change until July.  http://www.border.gov.au/WorkinginAustralia/Documents/reforms-australia-permanent-employer-sponsored-migration-programme.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:21 PM, New Member said:

I applied for my 457 visa 5 months ago (as an HR Advisor) and was expecting my visa to be approved in the next couple of weeks. Now it has been removed from the list, it looks like i have no other option but to leave the country. 

HR manager is still on the list that may be an option?