The Pom Queen

Breaking News - 457 Visas Stopped

194 posts in this topic

This is going to sound harsh. But it is true. 

If you come on a 457 visa, you come on a visa that it is what it says on the tin. A temporary visa. It has never had an automatic path to permanent residence and big changes to the system are not uncommon. As a result, people posting on the forum have always been advised to treat it as a temporary move and that at the end of the visa you leave. 

On an average year there are over 1000 changes to migration law. Most will have consequences for some. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moneycorp
Moneycorp
6 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

This is going to sound harsh. But it is true. 

If you come on a 457 visa, you come on a visa that it is what it says on the tin. A temporary visa. It has never had an automatic path to permanent residence and big changes to the system are not uncommon. As a result, people posting on the forum have always been advised to treat it as a temporary move and that at the end of the visa you leave. 

On an average year there are over 1000 changes to migration law. Most will have consequences for some. 

It doesn't seem fair on employers though, if they want to keep you but can't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2017 at 5:41 AM, dodziu said:

 

Cant find my occupation on any list on border.gov.au ( medium and long term, short term or removed) -Accommodation and Hospitality Manager (nec) 141999;looks like disappeared

Or maybe I am blind???

Is it possible that they removed my occupation without removing?

 

It's on the STSOL, so only eligible for the 2-year temporary visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Agz15 said:

It doesn't seem fair on employers though, if they want to keep you but can't. 

Fair is a relative term.  What's fair to one person will seem unfair to someone else.  And the government isn't making this change to be fair to employers, they're focused on Australian workers.  Well really they're focused on Australian voters, but they hope that's the same thing.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason of cheap labour is because 457 employers often make the employees pay back under table. If they go through the proper way, the cost is still high as they need to make up the business plan, pay migragion agent, pay market price wages and provide ongoing training.

No doubt certian industries have no choice but to look for employees from overseas. Sadly general public see this visa as a way for foreign chef/waitress/accountant etc to enter into Australia while the local with same skills are hunting for jobs. There is no perfect solution, but locals are/should be protected first hence this changes come in.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Owl said:

The reason of cheap labour is because 457 employers often make the employees pay back under table. If they go through the proper way, the cost is still high as they need to make up the business plan, pay migragion agent, pay market price wages and provide ongoing training.

No doubt certian industries have no choice but to look for employees from overseas. Sadly general public see this visa as a way for foreign chef/waitress/accountant etc to enter into Australia while the local with same skills are hunting for jobs. There is no perfect solution, but locals are/should be protected first hence this changes come in.

The percentage of employers doing the wrong thing is minimal. When they are caught  it is highly publicised and this is why many think the 457 system is a rort. You never see reports of how successful the program has been for Australia as that is not considered news worthy.

The reality is that the vast majority of employers do the right thing and there are measures in place to audit and punish the wrongdoers.

It is difficult to fill the positions with locals, if there are no locals with the requisite skills or experience for the job.

When applied properly, the 457 program is used to fill key positions that cannot be readily filled locally. This allows the business to grow and creates employment opportunities for Australians in other roles.

A sensible review and amendment would have been welcomed by most, however, the current  rushed through changes will only hurt Australian business, will not help Australian workers and will still be open to rorting.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2017 at 2:34 PM, Agz15 said:

Rubbish, this announcement has really messed up our plans.

Also confused about the one onshore renewal rule...maybe there will be options to renew or return if you apply offshore??

On a separate note - does anyone have any experience with the direct entry 186, partner would be at 3 years work experience point by jan/feb next year but haven't been able to find any info on if applications submitted before the March 2018 changes will only be applicable to applications submitted after that date. 

I'm curious about renewing another 2 years via offshore as well.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2017 at 11:24 PM, VERYSTORMY said:

This is going to sound harsh. But it is true. 

If you come on a 457 visa, you come on a visa that it is what it says on the tin. A temporary visa. It has never had an automatic path to permanent residence and big changes to the system are not uncommon. As a result, people posting on the forum have always been advised to treat it as a temporary move and that at the end of the visa you leave. 

On an average year there are over 1000 changes to migration law. Most will have consequences for some. 

Agreed, it has never been an automatic path, it wasn't before, it still isn't now. 

However, in the old system, you can still APPLY for a PR, now, as long as you're not in the MLTSSL, you're out; and a lot of the jobs in that STSOL aren't the usual ones that get abused by the low-income. mass-hiring job segment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/04/2017 at 5:16 PM, Vic154 said:

Think as long as you apply before March 2018 you should be ok, but this hasn't been confirmed. My MA isn't even 100% sure.

I'm on my second 457, haven't managed to get PR due to changing jobs and the 2 yr rule. I'm hoping to get my TRT app in before March, if something goes wrong and I can't get PR and have to leave after 457 expires, that would mean I've been in the country for 8 years, working constantly in a good job, paying taxes, settled down and still not allowed to stay. If I then do the short stay work visa twice (4yrs) then it's 12 years total been here and no right to stay! Then add to that the 4yrs to get citizenship if/when get PR. This is seriously messed up but am optimistic it will work for me and majority of us surely.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you not apply via the Direct Entry route, like us? We applied after three months and hope to have it by December 🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2017 at 9:08 PM, ItchyFeet76 said:

that!

It's going to really affect the IT Security industry because, as of next March, they'll only be able to hire people on the short-term visa because it's on the STSOL and not the MLTSSL. Very few people will be willing to move over here temporarily with no hope of PR and won't be prepared to move their lives over for just a couple of years (or 4 at the most, if they renew once). The 457 may be a temporary visa but you're not telling me that most of us don't come over here with the hope or expectation of getting PR and staying; we simply wouldn't do it if we thought there was no chance of making it permanent!

There aren't enough Aussies to do this job so it may push up wages (not complaining there!) and it'll definitely leave a sour taste in the mouths of leading cyber security companies, that's for damn sure... 😕

Edited by ItchyFeet76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Could you not apply via the Direct Entry route, like us? We applied after three months and hope to have it by December


Fingers crossed for you, hope you get it by December!

I could apply for DE, but I foolishly didn't earlier as skills assessment process was laborious for my field and my current company said they'd sponsor me in the TRT steam when time comes anyway so I never saw the mad rush. Stupid in hindsight I know....

My MA told me the other day I may as well
wait for for the 2 yr mark, as it's coming up soon in July, and apply under TRT stream then.

The irony of all this is I would've had PR by now if I had not been headhunted by an Australian company whilst I was almost 2 yrs into a 457 with another company. I took the gamble to take on new job and start 2 yr clock again as was good opportunity and they wrote in my contract they would do PR for me. And now the Aussie government is saying I don't have the skills to stay long term! Despite the only reason why I don't have PR, and almost citizenship, like most of my friends do, by now is because an Australian company wanted my skills & experience and actively pursued me. Very frustrating but it is what it is....hopefully I'll get there before March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've been browsing several forums and the immigration website and not been able to found an answer.....

balBsically my current 457 started 25/10/16,  however I manage to find a new employer who is an approved sponsor and I believe the application for change of sponsor was started 07/04/17. I have noticed my job is now on the STSOL list but from my understanding this won't affect current 457 visa holders as I'm not applying for a new 457, this shouldn't affect me right? Or will it? 

Also, if this does gets rejected or if I wish to withdraw this, would this affect my current sponsorship and it will just stay the same?

 

thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, theveed said:

I'm curious about renewing another 2 years via offshore as well.. 

I feel like there is more to come on this...that's why they specified "onshore" only. They seem to have no idea what they're doing!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finally spoke to our migration lady (she was on holiday) even though my hubby has a sponsor (floor finisher) looks like its not gonna happen for us (yet) he's still going in June as the company has paid for him to go over and see how they work and they are hoping it'll somehow workout as they really want him. They can't find people for all the work they have booked in with the games coming up. Hopefully he'll go over, love the way they work and as soon as it comes possible that somehow we can go we will. Ill just keep saving and pounce if they ever change the lists. So sad that for now we cant plan to move. I was all ready to pack up and go...so where the kids. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pwood said:

So finally spoke to our migration lady (she was on holiday) even though my hubby has a sponsor (floor finisher) looks like its not gonna happen for us (yet) he's still going in June as the company has paid for him to go over and see how they work and they are hoping it'll somehow workout as they really want him. They can't find people for all the work they have booked in with the games coming up. Hopefully he'll go over, love the way they work and as soon as it comes possible that somehow we can go we will. Ill just keep saving and pounce if they ever change the lists. So sad that for now we cant plan to move. I was all ready to pack up and go...so where the kids. 

:( Sorry to hear this, hopefully you'll figure something out for the future. What about your profession? If yours is on the list maybe you go in on a skilled 189 / 190 as main applicant? Longer and more pricy option but so worth it x good luck

Edited by bella1458
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2017 at 8:20 AM, MaggieMay24 said:

Fair is a relative term.  What's fair to one person will seem unfair to someone else.  And the government isn't making this change to be fair to employers, they're focused on Australian workers.  Well really they're focused on Australian voters, but they hope that's the same thing.

We will see pretty quickly on how positive this changes will be on the Australian job markets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jess6 said:

We will see pretty quickly on how positive this changes will be on the Australian job markets. 

What's the odds that this change has no identifiable downward impact on the unemployment rate?

Pretty good, I reckon.

We shall see!

Best regards.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

What's the odds that this change has no identifiable downward impact on the unemployment rate?

Pretty good, I reckon.

We shall see!

Best regards.

Certainly not from the IT security industry as there aren't many Aussies qualified to do the job my husband does!

Am curious as to whether the new PR rules (job on MLTSSL from 01.01.18) will affect the 186 TRT stream as well (as the DE stream)? Don't think I saw this mentioned...? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now