Breaking News - 457 Visas Stopped

Guest The Pom Queen

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 07:09, Raul Senise said:

This will be my last response to your comments as you are making less sense and going more off topic, with every post. Again this is about the Subclass 457 visa.

Just pointing out a few glaring mistakes for you:

• There is no age limit for student visas. As such you can not gauge if someone is on a student visa based on age;
  • The subclass 457 visa has an English language requirement, no exceptions;
  • Bus drivers, security staff, cleaners, super market staff are all occupations which CAN NOT be sponsored for a subclass 457 visa;
  • 457 numbers have continued to fall. Last year approximately 85 thousand were granted. That's about 0.3% of the population. This is compared to 310,845 student visa.

If you want to argue against Immigration in general, please start a new thread because your comments thus far are way off the mark in regards to the subclass 457 program.

I never said bus drivers can be sponsored. In fact many taxi drivers here in Perth (I do take them regularly) entered the country on a 457 visa usually some form of engineering or IT and failed to obtain on going employment in their area. Others came indeed as students and remained but failed to enter their studied profession for one reason or another. I am fully aware of no age restrictions on this visa. It is ever expanding and indeed the concern is the dumbing down of degrees to meet foreign student expectations.

Yes. I am fully aware the 457 is falling in number. Really with the continued outcry little else could be expected from government. Sadly though overall immigration numbers are rocking along at near record levels, if not record levels so a lot needs to be done to rid the ridiculous policy that remains in place towards record population growth. 

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 15:52, Starrynight said:

This site is for people emigrating to Oz and for people who want to advise and help them, or that's what I thought?

Well knowing a situation from ground level, with no vested interest, besides maintaining a welcoming migrant policy accepted by most, must surely be of some assistance. The original reason for posting as been lost of time I suppose, which was in response to some absurdity's written at the time.   

REMINDER - this thread topic is about the changes to 457 visas in order to help those who either hold a 457 or are considering/in the process of applying for one.  If anyone wants to debate the general topic of immigration, please start a new thread.  In the meantime, it's appreciated if further posts in this thread remain on topic.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

The Department of Immigration has released information on their website suggesting that transitional provisions will be in place for those who held a 457 visa on 18 April 2017 to be eligible for employer nominated permanent residence after March 2018.

At this stage, no details have been released other than the following:

Advice on transitional provisions

Some agents continue to seek advice in relation to the permanent skilled transitional provisions for March 2018 (including TRT arrangements).

As previously advised, from March 2018, individuals who were existing subclass 457 visa holders (or subclass 457 applicants) as at 18 April 2017 will continue to have access to an employer sponsored pathway to permanent residence. Detailed information in relation to the transitional provisions is not, however, yet available.

Work is still in progress to provide further policy clarification regarding TRT transitional caseloads for March 2018. We hope to be able to provide additional advice on this in the next edition of the newsletter. The FAQs on the website will also be updated when this information is available.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

The Department of Immigration has released information on their website suggesting that transitional provisions will be in place for those who held a 457 visa on 18 April 2017 to be eligible for employer nominated permanent residence after March 2018.

At this stage, no details have been released other than the following:

Advice on transitional provisions

Some agents continue to seek advice in relation to the permanent skilled transitional provisions for March 2018 (including TRT arrangements).

As previously advised, from March 2018, individuals who were existing subclass 457 visa holders (or subclass 457 applicants) as at 18 April 2017 will continue to have access to an employer sponsored pathway to permanent residence. Detailed information in relation to the transitional provisions is not, however, yet available.

Work is still in progress to provide further policy clarification regarding TRT transitional caseloads for March 2018. We hope to be able to provide additional advice on this in the next edition of the newsletter. The FAQs on the website will also be updated when this information is available.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Sounds like good news for a few people on here
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/10/2017 at 04:30, Pura Vida said:

I never said bus drivers can be sponsored. In fact many taxi drivers here in Perth (I do take them regularly) entered the country on a 457 visa usually some form of engineering or IT and failed to obtain on going employment in their area. Others came indeed as students and remained but failed to enter their studied profession for one reason or another. I am fully aware of no age restrictions on this visa. It is ever expanding and indeed the concern is the dumbing down of degrees to meet foreign student expectations.

Yes. I am fully aware the 457 is falling in number. Really with the continued outcry little else could be expected from government. Sadly though overall immigration numbers are rocking along at near record levels, if not record levels so a lot needs to be done to rid the ridiculous policy that remains in place towards record population growth. 

You do realise that if you lose your sponsorship on a 457 visa you need to find another job IN THE SAME CATEGORY or else you have to pack your bags and leave? Or are you implying that said person actually held down a job in IT for at least four years, (and therefore was good enough for the job for at least that length of time), and then, as soon as he got Permanent Residency, boom! he lost his job? Nice one.

Edited by Ronsaik

2 hours ago, Ronsaik said:

You do realise that if you lose your sponsorship on a 457 visa you need to find another job IN THE SAME CATEGORY or else you have to pack your bags and leave? Or are you implying that said person actually held down a job in IT for at least four years, (and therefore was good enough for the job for at least that length of time), and then, as soon as he got Permanent Residency, boom! he lost his job? Nice one.

You do realise that labour market testing wasn't a primary concern by employer I suppose? Hence not too difficult to rid oneself of an employee. As I have said on repeated occasions immigration is but a business. The government has to an extent heard the outcry and papers over a few of the obvious cracks but without through 'fixing' underneath the paper, the rorts will continue in one form or another.

There is certainly abuse on all sides. Sponsoring should only be allowed when no on shore applicant is available then protection should be offered to the imported worker in the case of abuse as described.

Just as a matter of interest, why exactly on receipt of PR was the person in question sacked? Could it have been they were earning under the amount legally paid to a full time resident? If so the employer should be forced to walk over hot coals. Imported labour should not be sought for cheapness but to fulfil a role unavailable by a person already onshore.

• Like 1

You do realise that labour market testing wasn't a primary concern by employer I suppose? Hence not too difficult to rid oneself of an employee. As I have said on repeated occasions immigration is but a business. The government has to an extent heard the outcry and papers over a few of the obvious cracks but without through 'fixing' underneath the paper, the rorts will continue in one form or another.
There is certainly abuse on all sides. Sponsoring should only be allowed when no on shore applicant is available then protection should be offered to the imported worker in the case of abuse as described.
Just as a matter of interest, why exactly on receipt of PR was the person in question sacked? Could it have been they were earning under the amount legally paid to a full time resident? If so the employer should be forced to walk over hot coals. Imported labour should not be sought for cheapness but to fulfil a role unavailable by a person already onshore.

I don’t think you have actually backed any of your claims up up this thread all you’ve done is throw some mud around hoping it might stick

1 hour ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I don’t think you have actually backed any of your claims up up this thread all you’ve done is throw some mud around hoping it might stick

Throwing mud around? I do realise it is a wasted effort to state the actualities on a thread as this but the reality remains as such. Instead of branding the messenger a little research on own back will reveal the true situation. I have in earlier posts produced the outcomes to reviews under taken of the immigration system and the chaos around it. You may refer to those posts if want, but likely have own axe to grind.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I applied for 457 visa on 30-Aug 2017 but my employer sponsorship got expired on 11 oct 2017 for which i and my employer received a justice letter from immi dept, any one having idea how to proceed in this case?

is it wise for employer to apply for sponsorship renewal and it the same time apply for new nomination even the sponsorship is not approved?

how shall i respond to immi dept they asked me to comment within 28 days, i received letter on 11 nov 2017. 

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Ijaz Ahmad 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Ned Kelly said:

Hi Guys, just a quick question if i may with regards to the New(457). If an applicant applies when they are 44 and they complete the 3 years of the mid/long term option. Will they be eligible to transition to permanent residency. cheers Ned

No. The age cut off for sponsored pr is 45.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,
My employer lodged his nomination and my 457 visa together in October 2017.
Nomination is approved and now I am waiting for my visa. Just want to know that immigration dept will grant me 457 visa or 482 TSS visa. Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Madhav said:

Hi Everyone,
My employer lodged his nomination and my 457 visa together in October 2017.
Nomination is approved and now I am waiting for my visa. Just want to know that immigration dept will grant me 457 visa or 482 TSS visa. Thanks in advance.

You will be processed under the 457.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am de facto on my girlfriend's 457 visa. She is sponsored by her company but hates her job and wants to quit. Meanwhile my company are willing to sponsor me on a 482 visa and she could then become de facto on my visa so she can change jobs without any visa restrictions. I have been working for my company for 10 months.

Does anyone have any experience of that switch? Do my company have to carry out labour market testing (LMT) even though I've been in the role for 10 months already? 

Is there anything else we should consider?

Thanks for your help.

9 hours ago, JamieB said:

Do my company have to carry out labour market testing (LMT) even though I've been in the role for 10 months already? 

Its 2 years and you have to be from a WTO country or 

• the worker you nominate is a citizen/national of China, Japan or Thailand, or is a citizen/national/permanent resident of Chile, South Korea, New Zealand or Singapore

On 23/05/2018 at 13:43, JamieB said:

Hi,

I am de facto on my girlfriend's 457 visa. She is sponsored by her company but hates her job and wants to quit. Meanwhile my company are willing to sponsor me on a 482 visa and she could then become de facto on my visa so she can change jobs without any visa restrictions. I have been working for my company for 10 months.

Does anyone have any experience of that switch? Do my company have to carry out labour market testing (LMT) even though I've been in the role for 10 months already? 

Is there anything else we should consider?

Thanks for your help.

The fact that you have been working there 10 month, does not exempt the company from LMT.