register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

MetalToby

DAB Radios and clocks

Hi,

We are beginning to pack up our house ready for the big move in June. A couple questions for you....

Do UK DAB radios work in Australia? I have seen the there, but not sure if I can take mine from the UK.

Also, do radio controlled clocks work? The kind that set themselves via a radio signal we have in the UK.

Thanks!

Alan

Aus uses the DAB+ format so if it can receive DAB+ yes. I bought a DAB  radio in the UK that did not work but I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me instructions to convert it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetalToby said:

do radio controlled clocks work? The kind that set themselves via a radio signal we have in the UK.

Unfortunately no, they don't work.

• Like 1

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

9 hours ago, MetalToby said:

Hi,

We are beginning to pack up our house ready for the big move in June. A couple questions for you....

Do UK DAB radios work in Australia? I have seen the there, but not sure if I can take mine from the UK.

Also, do radio controlled clocks work? The kind that set themselves via a radio signal we have in the UK.

Thanks!

Alan

Hi Alan.

Some DAB radios you can get a software upgrade to make them DAB + however you need to check the area you move to have coverage. We bought a DAB+ over here and we didn't have coverage in Cairns

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

My UK PURE DAB works well here, the only thing that doesnt operate is the digital display stating what station you are on for the rest mine are all good.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Mine is also a PURE DAB radio. There seems to be an update for DAB+ on their website, so I'll try that out once I get there.

My Pure Pop MIni P240 works perfectly here including display, date and time. SmoothFM here even has the same jingle as the UK!

IELTS Academic 19/03/2011 Overall 8.5 | Skills Assessed CPA 18/06/11 | NSW State Sponsorship 19/09/11 | 176 Visa Lodged 06/10/11| CO Assigned 24/10/11| Police checks loaded 11/11/11| Medical 11/11/11, finalised 18/11/11, VISA GRANTED 21/11/11!!!

5 minutes ago, Cerberus1 said:

Coverage is the issue, if you're regional you've no chance. You can check coverage at http://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/can-i-get-digital-radio

Yeah, central Melbourne here and even then compared to London the range of stations is pretty limited. FM still rules here I guess.

• Like 1

IELTS Academic 19/03/2011 Overall 8.5 | Skills Assessed CPA 18/06/11 | NSW State Sponsorship 19/09/11 | 176 Visa Lodged 06/10/11| CO Assigned 24/10/11| Police checks loaded 11/11/11| Medical 11/11/11, finalised 18/11/11, VISA GRANTED 21/11/11!!!