Skilled visa 189 - adding wife and child later on

Dan Mika

Dear All,

I have done most of the hard work preparing for a skilled visa 189 and would like to proceed, but we are not sure as a family that we will move right away. Therefore, is it possible for me to obtain the visa and add my wife and child later on ? Hence delaying the payment for them for the moment, but adding them later when we decide we will actually move to Australia ? Thank you in advance

Daniel

Guest The Pom Queen

As far as I know yes you can apply for the visa on your own (if you are coming on your skills). However, they will still ask for details of your family unit and I know they use to ask that they also have medicals even if they weren't emigrating. To be honest if may be easier to add them and then once they have validated they would have 5 years to make the move. Don't take my post as the truth as tbh it's been 14 years since we made the move and everything changes.

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

As far as I know yes you can apply for the visa on your own (if you are coming on your skills). However, they will still ask for details of your family unit and I know they use to ask that they also have medicals even if they weren't emigrating. To be honest if may be easier to add them and then once they have validated they would have 5 years to make the move. Don't take my post as the truth as tbh it's been 14 years since we made the move and everything changes.

Yes, they would still need medicals, and the wife would need police checks, as non-migrating dependents. 

The OP would then need to sponsor his wife, with dependent child, for a Spouse Visa later on - at a cost of nearly $7000 just for the wife, and more for the kiddie. Horribly expensive way to do it. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2017 at 7:58 PM, Dan Mika said:

Dear All,

I have done most of the hard work preparing for a skilled visa 189 and would like to proceed, but we are not sure as a family that we will move right away. Therefore, is it possible for me to obtain the visa and add my wife and child later on ? Hence delaying the payment for them for the moment, but adding them later when we decide we will actually move to Australia ? Thank you in advance

Daniel

It would be much cheaper, quicker and more efficient to include them on the initial application. Trying to save money on lodgement fees now, will costs you much more in the long run.

• Like 1