Photos of Tasmania

Johndoe

7 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

@ali did you not have any photos to share. We hardly ever see photos of Tasmania. I think we need a photo thread for each state.

9411657135_bee7ea69b6_b.jpgLake Llewellyn, Tasmania (HDR) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

9468796885_3cc14a6279_b.jpgTamar estuary Homestead, Tasmania by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

9259888246_f9737abdca_b.jpgLow Head Lighthouse - Georgetown, Tasmania by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

9712473117_af3ed88c37_b.jpgThe Nut, Tasmania by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

20787555001_ff40554958_b.jpgLunatic Asylum Port Arthur Prison by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

25198711282_e6fec79b56_b.jpgRiver Tamar Tasmania (1) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

16328782260_4e993cc153_b.jpgClose Of Day, Tamar Estuary, Tasmania by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

9254386204_054c706010_b.jpgTowards Cape Hauy by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Toots said:

@newjez Years ago a village in the Lake District (UK) and villages in Scotland and Wales were "drowned" when areas were dammed.  

Also @newjez, Ardingly Reservoir was constructed in 1978/79 and flooded the Ouse River Valley where the old village of Ardingly was originally built in the 1500/1600s.    The "new" village of Ardingly slowly moved to its current position on the hill in early 1800s... probably because of constant flooding when the Ouse over-ran its banks I guess.   But there are still buildings under the water.   In the early 1980's when the sailing club there first started, there were areas that were not to be entered because the buildings were near the surface.   Interesting place... you might like to have one of your cycle rides there.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any bragging rights to this photo - it's the work of a French photographer, Loic LeGuilly, who now lives in Tasmania.  This was taken a couple of weeks ago on an early morning flight out of Hobart, with the caption "God I love this place!"  

HobartDawn.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, libbye said:

Looks absolutely beautiful  Reminds me of Provence where there are lavender fields aplenty.  It must be a good temperature for

it though in Tassie.  

Yes:  if you read the "Our Story" page on their website you will see that the original seeds for this place came from France (in the 1920s) and the founder chose this location because it had similar climate and growing conditions to Provence.

9 hours ago, libbye said:

.  Wouldn't have thought Tasmania would have had a similar temp to Provence. 

Not all of it  - as there are great variations in temperature (due to altitude) and rainfall within the state.  But certainly the north east  is comparable.