Travelling on 186 PR

Forgive me if this info is lurking somewhere in one of these threads - a quick search didn't identify what I was looking for.

We will soon have 186 PR, transitioning from 457 after five and half years here.  We're hoping that getting PR will finally ease a lot of the embuggerations about life in Aus that come with being temporary.  However, we're not sure what our overseas travel rights are once we have PR?  Can we come and go pretty much as we choose, as we could on a 457, or do we need some sort of re-entry or exit visa?  I know there are requirements if we are away for a long time (two years in five), but would a typical trip of a few weeks back to the UK, or a holiday in NZ or Fiji for example be a problem?  We're rather hoping not, as we are more than over the endless Kafkaesque administrative hurdle jumping that goes with 457 on so many aspects of our lives.

Thanks for any advice!

45 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Forgive me if this info is lurking somewhere in one of these threads - a quick search didn't identify what I was looking for.

We will soon have 186 PR, transitioning from 457 after five and half years here.  We're hoping that getting PR will finally ease a lot of the embuggerations about life in Aus that come with being temporary.  However, we're not sure what our overseas travel rights are once we have PR?  Can we come and go pretty much as we choose, as we could on a 457, or do we need some sort of re-entry or exit visa?  I know there are requirements if we are away for a long time (two years in five), but would a typical trip of a few weeks back to the UK, or a holiday in NZ or Fiji for example be a problem?  We're rather hoping not, as we are more than over the endless Kafkaesque administrative hurdle jumping that goes with 457 on so many aspects of our lives.

Thanks for any advice!

Permanent means permanent and you can come and go as you please - We transitioned last year from a 457 to 186 PR and love the security of having PR - We have been in and out of the country a few times on holidays and visits back to the UK  - the only difference is when you fill out the departure and landing cards you will not be a temporary entrant any more and the feeling is amazing ticking that PR box! Enjoy it :-)

You are right about leaving for a longer term (5 years i think) and then you have to get a resident return visa - but we have no intention of being away that long and are going for citizenship this year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got friends who have been PR for 10 years (they wanted to keep their Norway passport, and Norway wouldn't allow dual-citizenship!), and have traveled around Europe and Asia.

You will need a VISA, or an Australian Passport to enter Australia. Basically, when your PR is granted, it comes with a 5 year VISA. So, if you're still on your 5 year VISA, you don't need anything else. If your 5 year VISA expires, you will need to apply for a Resident Return VISA, which will give you another 5 years (155) or 3 months (157)

• Like 1