489 work condition d

muthu

Hi All

Need your help with this doubt about 489 condition. 

Me and my wife are on Skilled - NT Sponsored (subclass 489), We lived in Darwin for 2 years and applied for 887 in Dec 2016 and are awaiting decision. Meanwhile, after we submitted our application for 887, we moved to Brisbane. Are we violating the law by residing and working in Brisbane?

Please advise.

Regards

Muthu

I understood that under visa 489 you had to live and work for 4 years in the nominating state.   So if that is the case, yes you have breached your visa conditions.    However if you were sponsored by the NT, I think you only have to stay there for 2 years.   It might pay you to contact DIBP to confirm your situation though.

You need to read the conditions listed on your 489 visa, which likely state that you must live/work only in a specified regional area as long as you hold this visa.  Brisbane is not a specified regional area so you are currently in breach of your 489 visa conditions.  Only after the 887 is approved can you move away from a specified regional area.

Thank you the response guys

I contacted DIBP and was informed by the officer that since it is NT sponsored visa, NT migration dept will have a say on this situation.

If they allow me to move out of NT, i am covered by the law to live in any regional area in aus.  I sent an email to migration NT and noticed that migration NT's timeline to respond to a query is 3 months.

Don't know what to do.

Any one had similar situation before? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just want to know two things

1) On 489 if someone went on holiday for 4 weeks overseas - does that 4 weeks need to be deducted on the completion of 2 years ? Example : I came in Darwin in Sept 15 and will be completing 2 years in sept 17, shall I apply for 887 now in Oct ?

2. After lodging 887, can I move to another regional area ? will it effect the result of my 887?