Inspecting apartments

Imran-

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well. 

I have arrived in Sydney a few days back and living at a hotel. Trying to get an apartment asap. I'm very new to how apartment search works here. I did do about 5 inspections and applied 3 places. One of the agents is asking for a holding fee i.e 1 weeks rent. Is that a common practice?

Also I am doing a job search right now, so that makes it a little tough to get an apt too. That's why I've applied for 3 places. Any feedback or tips on apt searching for newbies would be helpful.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @imran I have heard of holding fees in WA but never in Qld, Vic or NSW. I think though that agents can ask for a holding fee if they want. Now if you chose to go with an agent who does this please be wary as in NSW if you change your mind you won't get the holding fee back. This is different in Qld where they have to refund it within 3 days. 

Personally I wouldn't use an agent who asks for a holding fee as it means you can only risk submitting one application at a time.

In regards to employment, you don't need a job to get a rental but you do need to show you can make the payments. If you have a good bank balance, attach a copy of your bank statement to your rental applications.

Good luck with your search. 

Hi Pom Queen, thanks for following up. I'm still searching. Having submitted a few applications I'm hoping to hear back after the holidays. Also have a few more inspections lined up for tomorrow. So let's see how it goes :)

Hope you're enjoying the holidays on your end!

Edited by Imran-