Applying for a credit card

Imran-

Hello Everyone 

Hope all is well.

I just arrived in Sydney and it seems to be an awesome place. I was wondering if anyone could help with information on how to go about getting a credit card? I wanted to get one in case of an emergency.

Hey mate,

I assume you are working/have an income.  This is the main criteria in assessing risk.  Do you travel much?  Some good deals on at the moment which give you lots of free ff points (both Virgin and Qantas or AMEX points which can be converted to either of the above).  

I was doing a lot of domestic travel for family reason and became very aware of ff  points - got me a few free flights, loung access and upgrades to business (nice on a Syd- Per flight).

I found the AMEX Explorer card really good, Yes there is an annual fee (most good cards have one) but they give you $400 of travel credit which covers that and all sorts of "free" insurances, I like the mobile phone screen one.  

Only issue is AMEX is not accepted everywhere

I have 2 Amex cards - a Velocity (Virgin) one and an Explorer one.  The link above if for the Velocity card, this one for the Explorer card.  Both good cards which give nice perks.  I originally only got them for the bonus points and planned to cancel them after a few months but have kept them