Credit report help!

Hi all.

I have just moved to Hobart from the uk (4 days ago) with my wife and two children.

We are at the moment housesitting for someone but will need to find some rented accommodation pretty soon. 

After visiting a few real estate agents I now realise that in order to rent a property we will need credit reports. The problem is i dont think that its possible to get a retrospective report as we should have got one before we moved out here.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Guest The Pom Queen

Unless Hobart is totally different to the rest of Australia you don't need credit reports at all. You will need to meet the 100 point check, however, most agents will not worry about this as long as they have your passport and copy of visa.

They will need proof that you can afford the rent, either a bank balance showing you have enough funds to cover 6 months OR wage slips/employment contract.

Thanks for your reply!

We visited three real estate agents yesterday and they all told us the same thing about the credit report so, i'm thinking that this is the 'norm' here. 

However, if we cant obtain one i'll try showing our bank balance as I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Victoria and Queensland definitely don't operate like that. Maybe @Skani can advise if it's all of Tas.

Never had to do it in WA either. And I'm sure I've never seen anyone ask about it before - lets hope Skani can tell us if its common in Tas.

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Victoria and Queensland definitely don't operate like that. Maybe @Skani can advise if it's all of Tas.

I haven't had recent personal experience but I believe it is now a common practice if renting through real estate agencies.  I don't know if it is required by all of them, however.  This is from the Tenants' Union of Tasmania website:

http://tutas.org.au/factsheet/beginning-a-tenancy/

Landlords/Agents are barred from accessing credit files from credit reporting agencies such as Tasmanian Collection Services under the Privacy Act. However, they can ask a prospective tenant to provide them with their credit file.

Two friends of mine  have recently rented privately and were not asked for credit files by their respective landlords.

Do you have other records which would provide proof of rent reliability such as a rental history in the UK?  Otherwise, as mentioned, bank balance (and proof of employment if already obtained).