Wont insure work tools - help

adele244

Just had a quote from Letton Percival to insure our container and had a right shock when the quote states that as of 1st April work tools will not be insured - at all! Even normal tools are only insured up to £100.

That is something we certainly wasn't expecting and as it is mainly my husbands work tools we are taking that are worth anything, we obviously have to find an alternative.

Does anybody know of any other independent reputable insurance companies, I was banking on using  the above as they are highly recommended which is really disappointing.

If anyone could point me in the direction of another good insurer it would be very much appreciated.  Thanks x x x x xx 

Exactly the same with us!! We wouldn't even be getting a container if it wasn't for all the tools. They are worth far more than our beds and sofas!!  I have asked them if this is a new thing across the board or if it is only with Letton Percvial. Will let you know the outcome.

I honestly dont know what we will do if we cant get them insured! Crazy really.

Guest The Pom Queen

Have you tried Insure Your Move, or shipping a box with one of the removal companies and asking them for insurance 

I have just had a lovely email back from Letton and they have said that the reason is because last year had an incredible amount of thefts with tools, so that's the reason insurance companies are making this big change. I just hope it isnt across the board.

That's probably more concerning in itself :-(

I'm quite wary of insuring with the shippers themselves as I have heard bad experiences, but I certainly will try "insure your move"

Thank you

• Like 1

Over the last year, we have seen a dramatic increase in the amount of claims for theft of highly valuable industrial tools. Since our Scheme began over 12 years ago, we have insured hundreds of shipments which have included tools without any problem whatsoever. For our Scheme to remain competitive, Insurers have taken the decision to exclude industrial tools, and limit domestic tools to £2,500, with an any one item limit of £250, (this has just been increased from £1,000 with a £100 item limit). We are unable to say what has caused this recent increase in claims. We continue to offer competitive rates and cover to compete against the removals companies insurance, but the Scheme was in danger of coming to an end without Insurers addressing the issue in the way they have.

Sounds like the shipping handlers maybe recruited a bad egg or two this last year and they're helping themselves to other peoples belongings, what a shame migrating families are penalised for it, especially when lots of migrating families are tradies who need their tools.. Maybe its time to clamp down on who is employing dodgy shipping handlers or at least see if the missing items are being transported by the same company.

Cal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...