You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Me, my hubbie and our 2.5 year old are moving on a 190 visa from Manchester to Brisbane in September.  We are hoping to sell / bin / charity shop the majority of our stuff but still have a few items of furniture, pictures, clothes etc that we would like to take.  I think half a container would be more than large enough to fit in everything.  My question is does anyone know roughly how much this would cost and also do any firms offer space in a container rather than having to have the whole thing or half?.  Also we are thinking of just paying 6 months rent up front once we have found a place - does anyone have any experience of this? Is it the norm if you have no Australian credit history, previous address etc?  Any advice would be great!

• Like 1

Hi. We're going to use a MoveCube as we don't have a lot of furniture to take. We're also going to take MoveCube boxes.

You'll find more info here https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/GetQuote

I can't endorse them as we haven't moved and used them yet, quite a few on here have however, Do a search for movecube up the top of this page to find posts.

Regarding rent - I would only pay 6 months in advance if the area was a hugely sought after one and I really really wanted to secure a rental. Others who have moved can advise on this however.

I used Movecube and sounds like it would be ideal for your needs. Certainly cheaper than a container. THere have been some stories on here about shared containers and having to wait quite a while for them to fill before shipping occurs, but research and work out exactly how much you need is the first thing to sort out.

My thread about my experience is here:

• Like 1

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019

Hi @SARAH1974 I think Movecube would be a good option. There are lots of people on here who have used a shared container which is a good option but only if you aren't in a desperate need for your belongings. No matter what date they predict for your goods to arrive I'd add an extra 4 weeks on. 

'In regards to renting, it depends on where you are looking for. Suburbs that are in high demand it is a good idea to offer the 6 months up front. You will find agents don't really care about UK references nor if you are working, all they need to see is that you can afford the rent. I would put a few things together with your application, ie a letter explaining you have just arrived, a reference even though they won't really care, a bank statement showing you have funds available to pay the rent.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Great advice! Definitely going to look into getting one or more Movecube's and Kevsan your packing pictures and tips are great!!

• Like 1

It's all on the website but just for clarity, you can select door to door or, door to port. Door to door is exactly that. Also there is a cost in Australia when it arrives, there also may be custom costs etc.. I think you need to book about 5 weeks in advance to secure dates over a busy (ie: summer) time.

We used John Mason. We didn't have enough for a container, so used a groupage service, all arrived safe in 13 weeks and got packed up so I didn't have to bother doing it. 

Me, my hubbie and our 2.5 year old are moving on a 190 visa from Manchester to Brisbane in September.  We are hoping to sell / bin / charity shop the majority of our stuff but still have a few items of furniture, pictures, clothes etc that we would like to take.  I think half a container would be more than large enough to fit in everything.  My question is does anyone know roughly how much this would cost and also do any firms offer space in a container rather than having to have the whole thing or half?.  Also we are thinking of just paying 6 months rent up front once we have found a place - does anyone have any experience of this? Is it the norm if you have no Australian credit history, previous address etc?  Any advice would be great!

Hey I had a quote for half a container for £2890 from Crowns which includes them wrapping and packing door to door and unpacking and taking away the rubbish.. also getting it through customs

I don't know if that's good as I need to shop around see what else is on offer

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

I would suggest a 20 foot container (half the larger size) or groupage. The latter can take longer. Movecube sounds interesting.

Best of luck!

B

190 State Nomination (65 + 5 = 70 pts) | Primary Teacher | AITSL Skills Assessment submitted 10 04 '16 | Successful AITSL Skills Assessment 10 06 '16 | Recce to Mellie August 2016 | IELTS result 27 08 '16 (Av. 8.5) | State Nomination Application lodged 31 08 '16 | State Teaching Registration approved 23 12 '16 | State Nomination approved 23 01 '16 | EOI lodged 13 05 '17 | Invitation to apply received 15 05 '17 | Visa application lodged 03 07 '17 | CO allocated, medicals requested 24 07 '17 | Medicals completed 31 08 '17 | OMG! Visa Grant 28 09 '17 - we're Aussie Residents!!! Wahoo!

On 4/3/2017 at 23:36, SARAH1974 said:

We moved from Manchester a fair few years ago now. We sent about 8 boxes in a shared container with Crown Relo and doing that worked for us. 

Unless its proving difficult to secure a rental in the area you want , i wouldnt bother offering 6 mths rent upfront. If not having a job seems to hinder your applications then try offering 3mths as a last resort.. When applying for rentals have everything ready to submitt and include a covering letter explaining your new and thats why you have no Aussie history, that you are job searching etc etc. Include all ID documents, paid up utility bills if you have and you should be fine.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Thanks for the advice - we have started looking at houses - it's getting real now!!