Should we get a container?

SARAH1974

Me, my hubbie and our 2.5 year old are moving on a 190 visa from Manchester to Brisbane in September.  We are hoping to sell / bin / charity shop the majority of our stuff but still have a few items of furniture, pictures, clothes etc that we would like to take.  I think half a container would be more than large enough to fit in everything.  My question is does anyone know roughly how much this would cost and also do any firms offer space in a container rather than having to have the whole thing or half?.  Also we are thinking of just paying 6 months rent up front once we have found a place - does anyone have any experience of this? Is it the norm if you have no Australian credit history, previous address etc?  Any advice would be great!

• Like 1

Hi. We're going to use a MoveCube as we don't have a lot of furniture to take. We're also going to take MoveCube boxes.

You'll find more info here https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/GetQuote

I can't endorse them as we haven't moved and used them yet, quite a few on here have however, Do a search for movecube up the top of this page to find posts.

Regarding rent - I would only pay 6 months in advance if the area was a hugely sought after one and I really really wanted to secure a rental. Others who have moved can advise on this however.

I used Movecube and sounds like it would be ideal for your needs. Certainly cheaper than a container. THere have been some stories on here about shared containers and having to wait quite a while for them to fill before shipping occurs, but research and work out exactly how much you need is the first thing to sort out.

My thread about my experience is here:

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @SARAH1974 I think Movecube would be a good option. There are lots of people on here who have used a shared container which is a good option but only if you aren't in a desperate need for your belongings. No matter what date they predict for your goods to arrive I'd add an extra 4 weeks on. 

'In regards to renting, it depends on where you are looking for. Suburbs that are in high demand it is a good idea to offer the 6 months up front. You will find agents don't really care about UK references nor if you are working, all they need to see is that you can afford the rent. I would put a few things together with your application, ie a letter explaining you have just arrived, a reference even though they won't really care, a bank statement showing you have funds available to pay the rent.

It's all on the website but just for clarity, you can select door to door or, door to port. Door to door is exactly that. Also there is a cost in Australia when it arrives, there also may be custom costs etc.. I think you need to book about 5 weeks in advance to secure dates over a busy (ie: summer) time.

• 3 weeks later...
Me, my hubbie and our 2.5 year old are moving on a 190 visa from Manchester to Brisbane in September.  We are hoping to sell / bin / charity shop the majority of our stuff but still have a few items of furniture, pictures, clothes etc that we would like to take.  I think half a container would be more than large enough to fit in everything.  My question is does anyone know roughly how much this would cost and also do any firms offer space in a container rather than having to have the whole thing or half?.  Also we are thinking of just paying 6 months rent up front once we have found a place - does anyone have any experience of this? Is it the norm if you have no Australian credit history, previous address etc?  Any advice would be great!

Hey I had a quote for half a container for £2890 from Crowns which includes them wrapping and packing door to door and unpacking and taking away the rubbish.. also getting it through customs

I don't know if that's good as I need to shop around see what else is on offer

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2017 at 23:36, SARAH1974 said:

We moved from Manchester a fair few years ago now. We sent about 8 boxes in a shared container with Crown Relo and doing that worked for us. 

Unless its proving difficult to secure a rental in the area you want , i wouldnt bother offering 6 mths rent upfront. If not having a job seems to hinder your applications then try offering 3mths as a last resort.. When applying for rentals have everything ready to submitt and include a covering letter explaining your new and thats why you have no Aussie history, that you are job searching etc etc. Include all ID documents, paid up utility bills if you have and you should be fine.

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...