Australias Top Universities

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

While international students continue to flock to Australia in massive numbers, the latest rankings of the Australian universities reveals that Australian education providers figure high on the list of world rankings.

The 2016 Times Higher Education World University rankings were released on Thursday.

This list which ranks universities across the world revealed that The University of Melbourne is not only Australia’s top University but it also prominently features in World Top 50 at number 33.

Six Australian universities finished in the top 100.

Here are Australia’s top 5 universities:

1. The University of Melbourne
  2. Australian National University
  3. The University of Queensland
  4. The University of Sydney
  5. Monash University

Other prominent universities like University of Adelaide, University of Western Australia, University of New South Wales, University of Newcastle and Queensland University of Technology too feature high on the list.

The rankings are often referred to by students while considering international education. This year, Australia attracted over 490,000 international students till July which is a massive spike compared to last year.

These rankings are based on 13 indicators including citations, industry income, teaching and international outlook. Only 5 per cent of the world's higher education institutions made the list of the top 980 universities, and Oxford University was ranked number one.

Second that as above.  My uni was a former poly but had the best employment in the country for my course as employers liked the more hands-on approach.  I also see it with friends in med school; one uni is not a top preference one but doctors love it as you're in rounds from the first year.  Others are entirely theory up until year 5, so they are very much horses for courses.

Saying that, I would absolutely kill to do doctorate at ANU.  Their geochemistry department is a world leader!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I went to Plymouth and Bristol in the UK. I can't say my experience at Plymouth a former Poly, was any worse than Bristol despite it's prestige and trumpets at graduation. Universities suit people in different ways, I guess sometimes people go to a University purely based on the name but I'd like to think that people do their research a bit better these days. There's plenty of information out there after all!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My boys went to ANU and one went on to UQ. Both were highly dissatisfied with ANU and the one who went to UQ afterwards quit fairly quickly because he thought it's focus was all wrong for him. The main thing for them was the practice of group assessments which meant that those who wanted good marks tended to have to do all the work whilst others (some with definitely sub standard English) swanned through on the backs of others. My nephew has recently graduated from UM and we talked with him about this and he said that his experience had been much the same. Guess it is different for postgrads

• 2 weeks later...