Can I take ......

Barry1986

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has taken any floor rugs? We have two rugs (one cotton large rag rug type) and one medium - not sure if its wool or acrylic.

I was thinking about having them professionally cleaned and wrapped for transport. Just wondering if anyone had any problems bringing rugs in? Or what you would wrap them in to keep them clean en route?

Many thanks 🙂

25 minutes ago, EsBear said:

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone has taken any floor rugs? We have two rugs (one cotton large rag rug type) and one medium - not sure if its wool or acrylic.

I was thinking about having them professionally cleaned and wrapped for transport. Just wondering if anyone had any problems bringing rugs in? Or what you would wrap them in to keep them clean en route?

Many thanks 🙂

Yes you can take those. We used an international removalist company so they wrapped & shipped ours. Sorry, no idea what they used though.

• 2 months later...

Yes I packed a box of toiletries including perfumes and cosmetics And cleaning products.  Just make sure they are well sealed. Not worth buying just to ship but if you have space why not.  I had already given away loads of stuff like herbs and spices and food staples etc so was happy to get my extra box when it arrived.

5 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Yes I packed a box of toiletries including perfumes and cosmetics And cleaning products.  Just make sure they are well sealed. Not worth buying just to ship but if you have space why not.  I had already given away loads of stuff like herbs and spices and food staples etc so was happy to get my extra box when it arrived.

Thank you for the reply.  I thought liquid stuff, like you have mentioned,  would explode in the container due to pressure/heat etc??? My perfumes are going in my suitcase though, but I've got lots of cleaning stuff, lotions etc.....so will pack those now. 👌

7 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you for the reply.  I thought liquid stuff, like you have mentioned,  would explode in the container due to pressure/heat etc??? My perfumes are going in my suitcase though, but I've got lots of cleaning stuff, lotions etc.....so will pack those now. 👌

As I said make sure they are well sealed and preferably in a plastic box. Heat may be an issue but no pressure if they are going overland/sea.

• 4 months later...

I have some dried flowers pressed between stained glass and sealed with solder as little frames. The flowers are not loose, completely sealed in. Anyone have any idea if I can put these in my shipping container if they are declared? Or does it depend on the type of flower?

We also have sheepskins and a kangaroo skin. Anyone sent these or had any issues?

Finally, I have some pieces of driftwood which have macrame wall hangings attached to them. Are these worth taking? They're sentimental, so keen to take them. 

2 hours ago, bicek said:

I have some dried flowers pressed between stained glass and sealed with solder as little frames. The flowers are not loose, completely sealed in. Anyone have any idea if I can put these in my shipping container if they are declared? Or does it depend on the type of flower?

We also have sheepskins and a kangaroo skin. Anyone sent these or had any issues?

Finally, I have some pieces of driftwood which have macrame wall hangings attached to them. Are these worth taking? They're sentimental, so keen to take them. 

It's a long time ago now, but we were advised not to (I'd had my wedding bouquet dried)

Dried or preserved flowers or foliage

All dried and preserved cut flowers and foliage must be inspected on arrival to verify that they are free from exotic pests and diseases and ensure that they are dried or preserved and are not fresh.
Check the import conditions and whether you will need an import permit in our Biosecurity Import Conditions system (BICON).

Shells/rocks:

Seashells (excluding oyster shells), sand, rocks and fossils are allowed into Australia if they are free from insects, soil, and animal and plant material. The items must be inspected on arrival to ensure they are free from infestation and contamination.

If items do not meet these import conditions they must be treated, exported or destroyed at the importer’s expense.

If the goods are identified as soil, an import permit will be required, refer to BICON.

Some seashells (e.g. Queen Conch) may be subject to control under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). Items known to be or considered to be covered by CITES will be referred to the Department of Home Affairs on arrival in Australia.

If you are unsure whether the item you wish to bring into Australia is of CITES concern please check the department’s information on non-commercial wildlife trade.

Wooden items

Wooden items are allowed into Australia if they are free from bark, insects and signs of insect damage (such as borer holes) or any other contamination. To check for insect damage look closely at wooden items for holes and sawdust. Wooden items must be declared and inspected on arrival.

Wooden items that do not meet these import conditions will be treated, exported or destroyed at the importer’s expense.

For more information visit importing wooden and bamboo articles for non-commercial (personal) use.

Thanks Ali, the dried flowers seems like a grey area, they are restricted item but not prohibited, and usually allowed entry from what I can find when searching online. So it seems like a gamble but might be ok!? 

We have a side table that is a section of tree trunk (including bark around the edge) but has been lacquered in many many layers of varnish, it is completely sealed. I am wondering if this would pass inspection....?🤔

3 minutes ago, bicek said:

Thanks Ali, the dried flowers seems like a grey area, they are restricted item but not prohibited, and usually allowed entry from what I can find when searching online. So it seems like a gamble but might be ok!? 

We have a side table that is a section of tree trunk (including bark around the edge) but has been lacquered in many many layers of varnish, it is completely sealed. I am wondering if this would pass inspection....?🤔

Hard to say, we didn't take the risk with my bouquet (left it with the in-laws), the shippers had said that even though sealed, if any of it broke/unsealed due to the high heat in the container that it would not pass inpection and it would have broken my heart for it to be destroyed.  You hear some stories of things getting through and others not.  There is a high cost I believe if they have to treat it (and a cost to destroy it).

2 minutes ago, ali said:

Hard to say, we didn't take the risk with my bouquet (left it with the in-laws), the shippers had said that even though sealed, if any of it broke/unsealed due to the high heat in the container that it would not pass inpection and it would have broken my heart for it to be destroyed.  You hear some stories of things getting through and others not.  There is a high cost I believe if they have to treat it (and a cost to destroy it).

Yes I'm trying to find out what the actual cost of fumigation/destruction would be as the figure seems elusive! Would definitely help to know this so I could make a more informed decision on the risk. I'm sorry you were unable to take your bouquet, but glad it is still safe!

The biggest issue is that if you put items that need inspection/fumigation inside your container/Movecube, they will unpack the whole thing to inspect them.   If things gets damaged or lost during the unpacking/repacking, that's too bad - it's not their problem.  You can also imagine that when they repack it, they don't always pack it securely, and then stuff gets broken as everything  gets jostled on its way to your home. 

So on the whole, if you have things that need inspection or fumigation, either carry it in your luggage or send it separately (you can send individual boxes with Seven Seas). 

The cost of fumigation varies according to the size and nature of the item.

• Like 1

I had most of my wedding bouquet framed in a floating frame and sealed . ( I did spray them) I declared it along with my garden equipment, bikes etc. and had all declarables placed at the entrance of the containers along with the required paperwork and this caused no problem at all. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Freemantle said:

I had most of my wedding bouquet framed in a floating frame and sealed . ( I did spray them) I declared it along with my garden equipment, bikes etc. and had all declarables placed at the entrance of the containers along with the required paperwork and this caused no problem at all. 

Thank you, that's really helpful to know. I think I may risk it, and do similar to what you did, itemising it all clearly and packing it together, and near the front ready for inspection. Can I ask which removal company you used? Did you pack the items yourself?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bicek said:

Thank you, that's really helpful to know. I think I may risk it, and do similar to what you did, itemising it all clearly and packing it together, and near the front ready for inspection. Can I ask which removal company you used? Did you pack the items yourself?

We have only used Grace for international and 3 Australian domestic moves. We have found them to be amazing, thorough with an eye for detail (usually) !   Grace packed for us on all occasions but latterly I supervise packing of Tv's etc to ensure that leads, aerial cables, remote controls etc are packed together because its tiresome opening dozens of boxes in the hope of ...! They will erect beds etc for you on arrival! A picnic set with kettle, bedding, essentials is invaluable and last to go on (first off)  in a highly visible box/trunk/suitcase .  I have a favourite brand of bed linen and towels and no I didnt declare those but I did declare a new  Lin music system with duplicate receipts and generously Customs passed it! https://www.agriculture.gov.au/travelling/moving-immigrating. Good luck with your move!

• 4 months later...

Hi PIO

I was wondering :

when you power wash/Jeyes fluid your 

trampoline

garden tools

garden toys etc

bikes

garden furniture

shoes

where do you leave it to dry - as I’m thinking of doing this when we get a hot day here in the UK, then packing said items straight away (we can dedicate a room in the house to boxes) but if I dry them in fresh air on said hot day, won’t they get trace amounts of pollen on again?? 

Last question: DIY tools...

ive read on here that ppl have got them steam cleaned by a mechanic. Is that necessary or can I scrub them with hot soapy water and Jeyes Fluid them myself?

what is the steam clean trying to remove from them?

Just now, LandM said:

Also, we have two stools made from bare untreated wood - if I paint them/varnish them would that count as them being ‘treated’ and ok to ship?

I'd like to know the answer to this one as we have one side table that is varnished heavily on the top and sides but it is made of a log slice including bark. The underside is bare, the bark is not flaky or loose and under many many coats of thick varnish. Wondering whether we can bring this with us as I know bark is seen as a bit of a no no, but would that just be raw untreated bark?

1 minute ago, LandM said:

Last question: DIY tools...

ive read on here that ppl have got them steam cleaned by a mechanic. Is that necessary or can I scrub them with hot soapy water and Jeyes Fluid them myself?

what is the steam clean trying to remove from them?

I'll just be cleaning my tools at home thoroughly and using jeyes fluid to disinfect. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LandM said:

Hi PIO

I was wondering :

when you power wash/Jeyes fluid your 

trampoline

garden tools

garden toys etc

bikes

garden furniture

shoes

where do you leave it to dry - as I’m thinking of doing this when we get a hot day here in the UK, then packing said items straight away (we can dedicate a room in the house to boxes) but if I dry them in fresh air on said hot day, won’t they get trace amounts of pollen on again?? 

Power wash outside, leave to dry, then jeyes fluid indoors...?

We'll just be scrubbing everything well and then using jeyes, we haven't got a power wash tool. It's only a couple of kids bikes and a few garden tools.