Food from Uk

smudge

Guest The Pom Queen

You have Britain on the Bayside and on the same complex is the English fish and chips and the English Indian.

Hi

Coles have been doing an English Section I only saw it a few weeks ago so they haven't got it standing out. But this week I saw Traditional English Sausages made in Oz BEEF AND BACON I never remembered these but anyway I gave them a go yesterday around 11pm I was throwing up in the kitchen feel as sick as a dog this morning AUSSY FOOD IS OKAY SO LONG AS THEY DON'T TRY TO MAE ENGLISH

• Like 1

A lot of the cheapest Coles biscuits are made in the UK, such as bourbons etc..   They're not the good chocolaty M+S or Waitrose ones though, they're the cheap, nasty and tasteless homebrand stuff like you'd get at Tesco or Sainsbury's.

Mr Kiplings UK-made cakes and the UK-made Cadbury mini-rolls are always in Coles mixed in with the local stuff.

There will be a lot more of this as the £ drops, and hopefully at better prices than the usual international sections in the supermarkets.

I tried some British bacon recently and paid about $8, it shrivelled up into nothing.  Much prefer the Aussie stuff now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pommysheila said:

Hi

Coles have been doing an English Section I only saw it a few weeks ago so they haven't got it standing out. But this week I saw Traditional English Sausages made in Oz BEEF AND BACON I never remembered these but anyway I gave them a go yesterday around 11pm I was throwing up in the kitchen feel as sick as a dog this morning AUSSY FOOD IS OKAY SO LONG AS THEY DON'T TRY TO MAE ENGLISH

If you got sick from eating sausages then it would be because they were not properly cooked.  Any processed meat can make you ill if it is not heated right through.

Edited by Gbye grey sky

Thanks for replies, we've been here 10 years now so pretty happy with most food  its just certain things I miss, all the unhealthy stuff like crisps, chocolate, biscuits, Ready Brek lol. Looked on some sites but postage is so expensive. Probably a good thing really!!

22 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

If you got sick from eating sausages then it would be because they were not properly cooked.  Any processed meat can make you ill if it is not heated right through.

I think after 70 years on this planet I no how to cook a sausage I like it done to a moment of it's life VERY BROWN

On ‎2‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:12 AM, The Pom Queen said:

You have Britain on the Bayside and on the same complex is the English fish and chips and the English Indian.

Britain on the bayside has closed down! though there is a one in Cleveland and another at Victoria point as well as another English fish and chip shop.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
22 hours ago, smudge said:

Thanks for replies, we've been here 10 years now so pretty happy with most food  its just certain things I miss, all the unhealthy stuff like crisps, chocolate, biscuits, Ready Brek lol. Looked on some sites but postage is so expensive. Probably a good thing really!!

The supermarkets sell digestives and hobnobs

I was trying to remember where I went back in 2010.I was literally like a kid in a sweetshop :D and I think we had only been away from the UK couple of months. I lived in Pacific Pines so the shop wasn't that far away sure it was Coomera. Am I right and is it still there?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeff74 said:

We have just used up our supply of crisps :( 

The kids are missing all the chocolate and snacks loads. The chocolate just isn't the same is it!

Agree that the chocolate is not the same. But I find the silver lining is that I then don't eat so much of it!! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeff74 said:

We have just used up our supply of crisps :( 

The kids are missing all the chocolate and snacks loads. The chocolate just isn't the same is it!

I've found after 4 years here it doesn't really notice anymore. You forget how it tasted in the UK and after a while, eating the Aus stuff isn't a big deal.

I tend to buy Green and Blacks mostly as I like better quality chocolate over Cadbury and the like. Maltesers and things are fine. I just ate some Cadbury choc eggs and didn't pull a face. 

2 minutes ago, snifter said:

I've found after 4 years here it doesn't really notice anymore. You forget how it tasted in the UK and after a while, eating the Aus stuff isn't a big deal.

I tend to buy Green and Blacks mostly as I like better quality chocolate over Cadbury and the like. Maltesers and things are fine. I just ate some Cadbury choc eggs and didn't pull a face. 

Lindt Dark Chocolate and Chilli is the same in both countries :D

8 hours ago, snifter said:

Also, the UK brands are changing their recipes all the time anyway, so what you remember doesn't always exist anymore anyway.

Kraft's tinkering with Cadbury to squeeze every last penny out of a bar of chocolate is to it's detriment, they're only interested in packing every supermarket shelf and i just don't buy the stuff anymore.

21 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I purchased a bar of cadburys in America at Christmas and it was disgusting, so sweet and sickly. 

Yum Yum ? think I will eat my double decker in the fridge now.All this talk of chocolate is making me hungry.

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 11:04 AM, MelbourneTractor said:

Lindt Dark Chocolate and Chilli is the same in both countries :D

As is Toblerone. The reason Aussie Cadburys tastes different is that something is added to stop it meltng at higher temperatures.

I have never to this day worked out what is English about Heinz English recipe baked beans.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

As is Toblerone. The reason Aussie Cadburys tastes different is that something is added to stop it meltng at higher temperatures.

I have never to this day worked out what is English about Heinz English recipe baked beans.

I agree,I buy the beans but not sure what the difference is.