Fly to Cairns on 4th april for a reccie

SUPERSTARDJ01

Hi all,

We fly to Cairns on tuesday for a reccie/holiday with the family all 6 of us, staying in Edge hill, any advise on things to do? how can we get a few property viewings? etc

Hopefully the weather perks up as I have 4 children to convince a move from the UK will be a good thing and the weather shows rain :(  

Guest The Pom Queen

You will absolutely love Cairns. Please ignore the weather, we lived there for 4 years and everyday it would say rain and it was always blue skies. I know at the moment they are enjoying a heatwave. 

Are you hiring a car? How long are you going for?

Things to Do:

A trip to the reef or if you aren't good swimmers go to Green Island or Fitzroy, I prefer Fitzroy as it's away from the tourists.

A trip to Kuranda I would recommend going up on the cable car and down on the train. They have a shuttle service to get you back to your car. I wouldn't bother getting off at the first stop on the cable car but do get off at the second and take a stroll to see the Falls.

Hartleys Crocodile Farm

A day up the coast to Port Douglas

These will get you started.

Hi
www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au are the two biggest websites. Select type and size of property, then suburb(s) that you are interested in.
The Cairns Post Saturday property feature is also useful.
LJ Hooker have an office at the Edge Hill roundabout. They would be keen to arrange viewing of property. Ray White is another large real estate company covering Cairns. There are many local companies including: Joan Robb; Remax; Professionals (I think that they focus on the beaches); First National; etc.
All of the real estate companies have their own websites which list the properties they have on offer.
If you just want to see what is on the market, rather than appear particularly interested, open houses are advertised on www.realestate.com.au and in the Saturday edition of the Cairns Post.
The system of selling property is different in Australia. You will only meet the vendor after the contract of sale is signed, and then only maybe. All viewings are conducted by the real estate agent. You will be required to give name, address and sometimes proof of ID to view, as the real estate agent generally stays at the entrance.
Each suburb has better and less good sections, with some suburbs probably best avoided, as in all cities.

And blue skies, low 30s today. The forecast is low 20s at night, mid 30s during the day (usually achieved mid morning). Humidity is currently 80%.
If mountain biking is any of your children's hobby, we have some of the best in the world, and sea fishing is apparently excellent.
Outdoor games can be played all year round.
It would be worth calling into some of the tourist information centres to see what is around.

Guest The Pom Queen

Please don't worry, it's dry season now. You may get rain for an hour here or there but nothing like the UK rain.

Guest The Pom Queen
3 hours ago, ChrisH1 said:

If it wet again tomorrow consider Jump Mania. Our children. Love it, and it leaves them exhausted: http://www.jumpmania.com.au/

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

And if you look on Groupon or pick up one of the entertainment books you can get some good discounts

Guest The Pom Queen
On 09/04/2017 at 5:12 AM, adele244 said:

We loved Hartleys crocodile park, it also has the feed the kangaroos experience and hold koala. We loved Port Douglas and Kuranda. In fact Pom Queen gave us most of these tips.

Have a fab time

How are you doing Hun?

On 8 April 2017 at 10:12 PM, adele244 said:

We loved Hartleys crocodile park, it also has the feed the kangaroos experience and hold koala. We loved Port Douglas and Kuranda. In fact Pom Queen gave us most of these tips.

Have a fab time

I did all that too and have to agree. Loved the drive up to Port Douglas and stopping in the pull ins on the way looking at the views and beautiful coves. Port Douglas would be my choice for retirement if I had the choice :D

Guest The Pom Queen
31 minutes ago, doubter said:

I did all that too and have to agree. Loved the drive up to Port Douglas and stopping in the pull ins on the way looking at the views and beautiful coves. Port Douglas would be my choice for retirement if I had the choice :D

I like Palm Cove but hate the tourists lol. 

21 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

How are you doing Hun?

Good thank you. It seems to be all coming together now. Hubby has been offered a job on the Sunshine Coast and fingers and toes crossed someone is interested in buying the business (which is literally like a noose around our necks at the moment) August we are going regardless!!!!

Are you still in Lockyer? Thought about you when we visited there. I loved it there. Big hugs x x x x x x 

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @adele244 that is wonderful news on both counts (The job and the the business) my fingers are tightly crossed for you.

Yes we are in the Lockyer, love it here, a lot more settled than in Townsville. Once you get over we will have to arrange a meet up.

On 11 April 2017 at 2:37 PM, The Pom Queen said:

Hi @adele244 that is wonderful news on both counts (The job and the the business) my fingers are tightly crossed for you.

Yes we are in the Lockyer, love it here, a lot more settled than in Townsville. Once you get over we will have to arrange a meet up.

Is that between Ipswich and Toowoomba? Only went as far as Gatton with work.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, mudcrab said:

Just being nosey and wondered how you got on.   Edge Hill is lovely, isn't it.  Wouldn't mind living there !!

Yeah edge hill was lovelly, but weve found where we want to eventually live and thats kanimbla, we found everyone was really friendly and more respectful than they are in the uk, it is however completley different to the uk and a little less convenient, we unfortunately went over easter bank holiday and like the 80's in the uk everything except restaurants shut for 3 days, all the malls shut at 17:30 as well, but its just a slight adjustment to lifestyle but we all loved it and my wife is starting to study now for the PTE exam we just need to decide if we're going to instruct an agent or do it ourselves.

Guest The Pom Queen
19 hours ago, mudcrab said:

Just being nosey and wondered how you got on.   Edge Hill is lovely, isn't it.  Wouldn't mind living there !!

Edge hill is beautiful especially around the botanical gardens. It's got the reputation of being the young yuppie village now. The only time I don't like Edgehill is when the markets are on.

Guest The Pom Queen
33 minutes ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

Yeah edge hill was lovelly, but weve found where we want to eventually live and thats kanimbla, we found everyone was really friendly and more respectful than they are in the uk, it is however completley different to the uk and a little less convenient, we unfortunately went over easter bank holiday and like the 80's in the uk everything except restaurants shut for 3 days, all the malls shut at 17:30 as well, but its just a slight adjustment to lifestyle but we all loved it and my wife is starting to study now for the PTE exam we just need to decide if we're going to instruct an agent or do it ourselves.

Unfortunately Easter is like that. It is law across Australia that certain shops have to be closed on Good Friday, Anzac Day and Christmas Day it varies on the state law as to what can trade. Everything in Cairns would have been open Easter Saturday.

I agree about all the shops closing at 5:30 that seems to be Australia wide. In Queensland we have a late night shopping until 9pm every Thursday. When I was in Perth CBD it seemed to be Friday.  However, most of your large stores seem to be open until 9pm most nights ie Target, BigW and KMart.

I am surprised you chose Kanimbla although it's nice looking across on it from Lake Morris Road

On 25/04/2017 at 1:45 PM, The Pom Queen said:

Edge hill is beautiful especially around the botanical gardens. It's got the reputation of being the young yuppie village now. The only time I don't like Edgehill is when the markets are on.

How often are the markets on?  I saw some photos on Facebook the other day....looked quite interesting.

1 hour ago, mudcrab said:

How often are the markets on?  I saw some photos on Facebook the other day....looked quite interesting.

Markets at Edge Hill

2017 dates

• April 30
  • May 28
  • June 25 (Body, Mind and Soul)
  • July 30
  • August - no market
  • September 24
  • October 29
  • November 26

Markets on the Esplanade

Every week on Saturday from 8am to 4pm (until Wet Season I think)