1 hour ago, vasia said:

If you will cancel your private health insurance then you brige 457 visa requirements which is “you have to have private health insurance “. 

Where did you see a word "private" in that requirement? It says "adequate", not private.

1 hour ago, Loktar said:

Where did you see a word "private" in that requirement? It says "adequate", not private.

Yes it says “adequate “, which means if you don’t have Medicare you should organise something else, in this case private health insurance such as Bupa. What I am saying, that you should maintain your “adequate” health insurance while your 457 visa is still valid, even if you already got your interim Medicare card. We have interim Medicare, got it once lodged 186 application and using it all the time, because wife is pregnant and it covers everything, didn’t pay a cent. So I thought I could cancel my Bupa, asked my MA and she told me that we have to keep Bupa. I didn’t trust her much, so I called immigration department and they told me that while my 457 still in effect I can’t get rid of Bupa, but once my 457 expires and bridge visa will come in effect then I will be able to do so.

4 minutes ago, vasia said:

Yes it says “adequate “, which means if you don’t have Medicare you should organise something else, in this case private health insurance such as Bupa. What I am saying, that you should maintain your “adequate” health insurance while your 457 visa is still valid, even if you already got your interim Medicare card. We have interim Medicare, got it once lodged 186 application and using it all the time, because wife is pregnant and it covers everything, didn’t pay a cent. So I thought I could cancel my Bupa, asked my MA and she told me that we have to keep Bupa. I didn’t trust her much, so I called immigration department and they told me that while my 457 still in effect I can’t get rid of Bupa, but once my 457 expires and bridge visa will come in effect then I will be able to do so.

Lol my migration agent said different, she said Medicare is satisfied as an adequate insurance 8501. So I listen to her and cancel the private immediately when I still have 485. Everything’s fine after 1.5 years. Now on a bridging visa.

1 minute ago, vasia said:

According to my knowledge, interim Medicare is an adequate health insurance, and you can stop your private insurance while still being on 457 visa, once you got Medicare. (I did this by myself.) And I confirmed this information in the medicare office.

Also from my experience,  immigration department gives sometimes different answers to the same questions, when you call them. So I would not trust to what they say.

2 hours ago, Loktar said:

According to my knowledge, interim Medicare is an adequate health insurance, and you can stop your private insurance while still being on 457 visa, once you got Medicare. (I did this by myself.) And I confirmed this information in the medicare office.

Also from my experience,  immigration department gives sometimes different answers to the same questions, when you call them. So I would not trust to what they say.

Could be, but I decided to keep Bupa until I get PR, just don’t want to give a chance to migration to find anything what can cause complications during processing time)))

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vasia said:

Could be, but I decided to keep Bupa until I get PR, just don’t want to give a chance to migration to find anything what can cause complications during processing time)))

@vasia Are you still on 457 visitor cover or changed to domestic private insurance after you got your Medicare?

1 hour ago, rontho said:

@vasia Are you still on 457 visitor cover or changed to domestic private insurance after you got your Medicare?

You are required to change to domestic private cover as medicare users are no longer covered by the 457 visitor cover. 

This is based on my conversation with a Bupa agent. 

1 hour ago, Eddy101 said:

You are required to change to domestic private cover as medicare users are no longer covered by the 457 visitor cover. 

This is based on my conversation with a Bupa agent. 

That's right. And I am worried that many on the forum are unaware of that. That's why I earlier encouraged anyone on 457 visitor cover after getting Medicare to speak to your insurance provider asap.

1 hour ago, Pottsie said:

Anyone else going bloody stir crazy at the slowness of processing the applications, I wish someone could explain the sheer randomness of how they are processing them

Yes it really is killing me too, some days I have hope that it will be any day now.. and others o feel like giving up and moving to Canada instead.. or back home to Ireland 🙃

4 minutes ago, BB86 said:

Yes it really is killing me too, some days I have hope that it will be any day now.. and others o feel like giving up and moving to Canada instead.. or back home to Ireland 🙃

While I really dont want to move back to UK, i certainly understand the frustration, Been held like a puppet on strings is the hardest and frustrating part

• Like 1

Hi,

I just got made redundant at my job place after I've put in my application and all documents in FEB 2018 via TRT 186 as cook in WA and was waiting on my grant but then this happened!!!

anyhow,

I am now looking for a new employer to pick up my 457 visa (applied in Feb 2016 - exp. Feb 2020).

Say that I have my 457 visa transferred and all is good with my new employer..

Can I now still apply for DE system - 186 visa as cook? (grandfathering rule I think)

Thank yuo in advance.

(I need 6 more months exp. to qualify for the skill assesment though)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pottsie said:

How do you put your visa timeline information below every post ?

you just go to account settings then signature. 

In fact, I would encourage everyone to display their timelines, just makes it easier for someone to help you out when they know your circumstances

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

Hi,

I just got made redundant at my job place after I've put in my application and all documents in FEB 2018 via TRT 186 as cook in WA and was waiting on my grant but then this happened!!!

anyhow,

I am now looking for a new employer to pick up my 457 visa (applied in Feb 2016 - exp. Feb 2020).

Can I now still apply for DE system - 186 visa as cook? (grandfathering rule I think)

Thank yuo in advance.

Hello

I was in a similar situation as you and my MA told be that I could only apply for the DE stream before March 2018, where the occupations were taken off the list.As it is a seperate visa stream that is not necessarily related to the 457, you cant use the old rules of the 457 in this case.

at this point your only option would be to transfer your 457 and wait 2 years for PR through the TRT stream.

Are you sure you can still transfer your 457 to a new company tho?

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

Hi,

anyhow,

Thank yuo in advance.

Hi, not sure if it will help but I'd recommend you read previous cases of dismissal/redundancy of employees on a 457. First read on the NSW fair work website if your case is indeed a redundancy. Employers generally treat this lightly but they do not just offer a job with the 457 but an opportunity to stay in Australia. Getting rid of an employee, through redundancy or dismissal, doesn't just mean they lose a job, but they also risk deportation. Generally courts view this as an extremely harsh dismissal and you might be entitled to a nice chunk of money. Hope you didn't sign anything yet. Goodluck!

13 hours ago, BB86 said:

I've tried to change my mindset, to ignore it, to think positive, to acknowledge there are people who've been waiting for longer than I have, to convince myself it's worth the wait, to take anxiety pills, to try out new hobbies that won't make me think about it...you name it. Honestly, I think it's starting to work, a bit differently than I thought tho...because I am reaching a point where I do not care any longer if it will be grated or not. I'll give it few more months then I believe I'll take some time travelling then maybe move to UK or Ireland..why not even Canada! Been living here for 4 years, and yes, I'd love to live as a resident as well, to adopt a doggy, to consider buying a property, maybe in the future move to Melbourne or Hobart, but if that doesn't happen .. oh well 🤷‍♀️.. fought so hard these years to stay here, to have my worth validated by case officers, to demonstrate I'm what they need, and spent money in lawyers, documents, applications and so on.. just to finally realise that I am worth it, if not for Australia, maybe for another country.  💪

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Believe said:

I've tried to change my mindset, to ignore it, to think positive, to acknowledge there are people who've been waiting for longer than I have, to convince myself it's worth the wait, to take anxiety pills, to try out new hobbies that won't make me think about it...you name it. Honestly, I think it's starting to work, a bit differently than I thought tho...because I am reaching a point where I do not care any longer if it will be grated or not. I'll give it few more months then I believe I'll take some time travelling then maybe move to UK or Ireland..why not even Canada! Been living here for 4 years, and yes, I'd love to live as a resident as well, to adopt a doggy, to consider buying a property, maybe in the future move to Melbourne or Hobart, but if that doesn't happen .. oh well 🤷‍♀️.. fought so hard these years to stay here, to have my worth validated by case officers, to demonstrate I'm what they need, and spent money in lawyers, documents, applications and so on.. just to finally realise that I am worth it, if not for Australia, maybe for another country.  💪

Your story illustrates why, when people arrive on these forums asking about 457 (and now TSS) visas, we're at such pains to point out they are TEMPORARY visas to fill TEMPORARY vacancies, and anyone arriving on such a visa should accept they'll be going home at the end of it.  I wish more people would believe us before embarking on their journey, but the myth still persists that transitioning to PR is easy or even guaranteed.  Whereas as you've discovered, it's an extremely stressful and uncertain method of migrating to Australia, and getting more uncertain all the time.

I'm sure you know it's nothing to do with whether you, personally, are what Australia or any country needs. It's about quotas and politics.  Fingers crossed for you.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2