First stop Perth!

Jamiemadden7

Hello

Coming over on a WHV with the Mrs next month (29th April). We are staying for 10 nights in the Billabong hostel then over for 14 nights in Fremantle prison.

Do you have any tips?

Would be looking to gain 2nd year visa at earliest chance 

what to pack and not to pack?

any mistakes or things to watch out for?

places to see around Perth?

Thanks in advance

Review what you are going to pack, then ditch half of it :) Seriously though look at what you are going to pack and bring, as if you are moving around a lot, you want to look at how your clothes can combine outfits. Review the possibly travel route you may have and work out the weather. Also remember you could be carrying this stuff multiple times over a few days.

But as I wrote that, are you planning to settle in one place for a while or keep moving?

If the latter, keep shoes to a minimum probably two, less weight.

This can/could be a useful item especially if you are hostel living(bedbug alert):

https://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-COCO-01-Cotton-TravelSheet/dp/B001DX803W

For the 2nd year visa, are you prepared for the work that is involved to secure that. You may be, but is the wife up for it. Others may be offer advice as to what places to contact the work to get the 2nd year extension.

Any tips, have fun and make the most of it. One of you may even be lucky enough to find someone to sponsor you, if that is your desire.

Guest The Pom Queen

A quick question if you are married can you get a WHV, or do you mean Mrs as in girlfriend. They change the rules so much I never know what's the go these days.

I agree with @evets we have travelled around Australia in a campervan and never wore half of the clothes we took. Personally I would buy some cheap clothes when you are here. A lot of backpackers head for the charity shops and then drop them back off when they leave. I think it's carrying bags everywhere I would hate. If you have a car it's not too bad. 

Are you staying in Perth? 

6 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

A quick question if you are married can you get a WHV, or do you mean Mrs as in girlfriend. They change the rules so much I never know what's the go these days.

I agree with @evets we have travelled around Australia in a campervan and never wore half of the clothes we took. Personally I would buy some cheap clothes when you are here. A lot of backpackers head for the charity shops and then drop them back off when they leave. I think it's carrying bags everywhere I would hate. If you have a car it's not too bad. 

Are you staying in Perth? 

Yes you can get a WHV if you are married, makes no difference. You can even get a WHV if you have children, as long as those children are not coming to oz with you. 

5 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Thanks for that, so a wife doesn't class as a dependent but a child does?

For a WHV, no. If the wife wishes to come she needs to get her own visa, as you cannot add a dependent to a WHV. And children can't come at all. 

Will echo the points about ditching half of what you plan to bring.

Lay it all out on the bed, cut it in half and then half again.  Perth is shorts, tshirts and thongs (flip flops) for 9/10 months of the year.

Get yourselves smartrider cards when you arrive for public transport (like the Oyster card in London).  Perth CBD can be quiet at times, btw Freemantle (Freo) is really a suburb and is only 1/2 hour away on the train.  IMO Freo is a lot nicer than Perth CBD and has a nice vibe to it.

Northbridge is the backpacker area of Perth, lots of bars etc.

Not sure about backpacker jobs but Perth is doing it tough at the moment regarding work.

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2017 at 6:18 AM, Collie said:

BTW - what do mean by 14 nights in Freo prison - is there a hostel there?

Freo prison is about a 2 hour tour, not sure what you'd do for 2 weeks there.

Apologies i have been away for a little bit!

The prison is partly a YHA Hostel, if you google it you will see the pictures... The womens wing has been renovated and looks brilliant! :)

• Like 1

Don't take too many clothes, you'll buy stuff here. I brought quite a lot that I never even wore and ended up buying stuff from target and Kmart. 

For 2nd year check out the harvest line.   

Places to check out - freo, kings park, rottnest island, get the boat over to south Perth, hillarys harbour. Maybe some day trips to pinnacles etc.   Have a great time, I'm jealous! Wish I could do mine all over again. Let us know how you get on :) 

• Like 1

I spent two months and an half in Perth. For job is TERRIBLE. I used to stay in a hostel and almost everyone was complaining for luck of hours. Usually backpackers work in hospitality and constructions. I met so many backpackers not working full time in both the fields. I met backpackers that didn't get a job after one month!. It's hard to find even kitchen porter job! Many backpackers in Perth are out of work or they work but just a few hours. Actually backpackers are struggling everywhere in Australia, but in Perth much more. Western Australia is in recession now and even Australians are struggling. Avoid Perth. Land in the city, visit it, but start your job hunt somewhere else. Avoid this city...It's not the place to be. I was there from November 2017 till February 2017.

• 3 weeks later...

Perth is really in an economic downturn with the mining boom evaporating.   So many people are out of work or are on reduced hours.  However as @Quokka2005 says, there is casual work if you are prepared to go out into a regional/remote areas.   If you are having a working holiday purely for the experience of being in Australia, working in a regional/remote area will certainly give you that experience.   Perhaps Quokka2005 will give you some leads on where to find jobs like this.

I am an old chook now, but when I was on my Oz working holiday in the late 1960's, every job I had was not in a major city.  I worked in Tasmania in the Huon Valley picking and packing apples - in Coober Pedy as a general factotum in an underground guest house - in Alice Springs in a cafe - on a cattle ranch about 100km out of Katherine in the NT as a cook - in Darwin in a cafe.   Then I moved on to Port Moresby in PNG working for the UN.   Those experiences were amazing and I wouldn't be the person I am today without all those experiences. 

So maybe think outside the box of getting a job in each major city around Australia and look at the regional/remote areas in each state you visit.   If you have skills or a trade that is in demand you can do well.   A few years ago I met a young couple on their working holiday.... we were staying in a campsite in Denmark, south west Australia.   She was a hairdresser, he was a mechanic but could do all sorts of DIY.   They bought a motorcaravan when they arrived in Oz and wherever they went they put posters up to offer their services.  They did well because in each campsite they stayed for a week or two there would be someone who needed a haircut or their vehicle serviced, or have a problem in their caravan that needed help. 

Be good to hear how you go so keep posting.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Thank you for your comments and advice it has been greatly appreciated!

I thought I would update use as some asked for.

I stayed in Billabong, Perth for 10 Night, thoughts are that Kings park is so beautiful, the city is amazing and the cost isn't as bad as I though (currently getting $1.75 to the £1 and gathering that it's gone up as 30 days ago it was $1.61.

Nowiam staying in Fremantle Prison YHA and have done the Tours (highly recommended) and also have my tickets for Rottnest Island, love the Fremantle area, being close to docks and smaller area is more homely for me though so gather that might be why!

Next week I will slowly move down to Dunsborough and hopefully look for some farm work through the colder months to get my next VISA in place ready and start to enjoy myself for the summer not having to worry!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jamiemadden7 said:

Hello All,

Thank you for your comments and advice it has been greatly appreciated!

I thought I would update use as some asked for.

I stayed in Billabong, Perth for 10 Night, thoughts are that Kings park is so beautiful, the city is amazing and the cost isn't as bad as I though (currently getting $1.75 to the £1 and gathering that it's gone up as 30 days ago it was $1.61.

Nowiam staying in Fremantle Prison YHA and have done the Tours (highly recommended) and also have my tickets for Rottnest Island, love the Fremantle area, being close to docks and smaller area is more homely for me though so gather that might be why!

Next week I will slowly move down to Dunsborough and hopefully look for some farm work through the colder months to get my next VISA in place ready and start to enjoy myself for the summer not having to worry!

Goof to hear you are enjoying your holiday so far Jamie.  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4 May 2017 at 08:27, Rossmoyne said:

Perth is really in an economic downturn with the mining boom evaporating.   So many people are out of work or are on reduced hours.  However as @Quokka2005 says, there is casual work if you are prepared to go out into a regional/remote areas.   If you are having a working holiday purely for the experience of being in Australia, working in a regional/remote area will certainly give you that experience.   Perhaps Quokka2005 will give you some leads on where to find jobs like this.

I am an old chook now, but when I was on my Oz working holiday in the late 1960's, every job I had was not in a major city.  I worked in Tasmania in the Huon Valley picking and packing apples - in Coober Pedy as a general factotum in an underground guest house - in Alice Springs in a cafe - on a cattle ranch about 100km out of Katherine in the NT as a cook - in Darwin in a cafe.   Then I moved on to Port Moresby in PNG working for the UN.   Those experiences were amazing and I wouldn't be the person I am today without all those experiences. 

So maybe think outside the box of getting a job in each major city around Australia and look at the regional/remote areas in each state you visit.   If you have skills or a trade that is in demand you can do well.   A few years ago I met a young couple on their working holiday.... we were staying in a campsite in Denmark, south west Australia.   She was a hairdresser, he was a mechanic but could do all sorts of DIY.   They bought a motorcaravan when they arrived in Oz and wherever they went they put posters up to offer their services.  They did well because in each campsite they stayed for a week or two there would be someone who needed a haircut or their vehicle serviced, or have a problem in their caravan that needed help. 

Be good to hear how you go so keep posting.

What an interesting read there, I bet your travels in the 60's were wonderful 

Long time lurker but first time member and poster here.   

Some great information and experiences on this thread.    I am an Australian Citizen now, but when I did my 2 years WHV in 2005 and 2006 I worked mainly in rural areas as I found it easier to get work.   I am a secondary teacher (English) and did a bit of relief teaching in country schools in WA as the education authority were desparate for teachers at that time.   I also picked fruit in Tully (Qld) and was a barista in Darwin and Sydney.  

I wasn't a lover of hostels though, so 4 of us who met in Sydney, bought an old Ford station wagon and some camping equipment and camped as much as possible.  Luckily one of the guys was a mechanic and his skills were called on a fair bit as we made our way around the country. 

I totally loved the whole experience, and the best advice I can give is to be prepared to step outside your comfort zone and try new experiences, but also listen to your gut feeling.

• Like 2