What would you do differently?

So this is a question for those who have already made the move. Just wondering if you had your time again, what would you do differently?

Not looking for 'never have moved' sort of thing (and please if we can not have a Australia vs. UK heated debate), more of a 'wish I had taken x, y and z' or 'left the... behind' or done something in advance of the move.

We've 6 month exactly today until we arrive so grateful for those with experience & thanks for any insights.

Guest The Pom Queen

I think we would have taken our belongings. We only arrived with a few suitcases and didn't realise how long it would take to get everything back. Things like bedding, towels, kitchen utilities and coat hangers. It took years before we finally got everything. 

I regretted dumping my lovely leather boots because it was supposed to be warm all the year round ( in Melbourne? Gotta be kidding!) Wish we'd have brought the cat because it died soon after we left in the charge of m-i-law. Our bedroom suite - in those days the things on offer here were disgusting but things have definitely improved in that respect.

• Like 2

I wish I'd better prepared myself for setbacks.

The first one destroyed my confidence and left me with all sorts of anxiety problems, it's still affecting me now and I've been back in the UK for two months.

Australia is amazing but it's not all plain sailing, good luck with the move.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I think we would have taken our belongings. We only arrived with a few suitcases and didn't realise how long it would take to get everything back. Things like bedding, towels, kitchen utilities and coat hangers. It took years before we finally got everything. 

Thanks PQ. We are drastically reducing everything however I'm definitely going to make sure we take good quality linen.

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

I regretted dumping my lovely leather boots because it was supposed to be warm all the year round ( in Melbourne? Gotta be kidding!) Wish we'd have brought the cat because it died soon after we left in the charge of m-i-law. Our bedroom suite - in those days the things on offer here were disgusting but things have definitely improved in that respect.

Sorry to hear about your cat x

40 minutes ago, Daryl Boyce said:

I wish I'd better prepared myself for setbacks.

The first one destroyed my confidence and left me with all sorts of anxiety problems, it's still affecting me now and I've been back in the UK for two months.

Australia is amazing but it's not all plain sailing, good luck with the move.

Sorry to hear you didn't go through a great time in your time in Oz and that it didn't work out for you. . Do you think there is someone you can talk to perhaps to help deal with it and leave the anxiety issues back there?

I'm hoping and planning for the best and just expecting there will be some 'oh jeez' moments.

We brought just about everything, except for the things which were due for renewal like TV, Fridge and dryer and no way would the hover mower have coped out here. Then when every thing arrives here in OZ it is like the best Christmas ever unpacking. However and without any doubt it made our house our home again.

• Like 5

We brought pretty much everything as well and I don't regret bringing any of it.  Even the wardrobes that we didn't need as we sold them and got far more for them here than we would have done in the UK.  We didn't bring any of our outside tools or furniture but I kind of regret not bringing some of the gardening stuff, especially my retractable hose, and a painted outside bench.

Agree with NicF - particularly tools and garden implements, all the forks, spades, other crap you collect I sold off drills, angle grinders, plastering tools, all sorts. My rationale was that it was too much hassle to clean. I brought my drill, toolbox and my dads stanley socket set. The amount i left/sold/dumped makes me shudder.

I can and did buy new stuff, but the cheap stuff that you get to get by with is a false economy and is rubbish. The quality end of the market are so much more expensive to replace than bringing what you have.

• Like 1

I half wish I'd moved to London for a year to "practice" living in a huge city, although, to be fair, my intention was to live in Perth, not Sydney. Whenever I got off, sorry "alighted" from the train at Waterloo (from The New Forest near Southampton) I felt like a single ant in an anthill. Sydney's anthill is one which has been permanently poked with a stick, but I've gone native now and couldn't live anywhere else..

• Like 1

Things like towels(I found half decent towels expensive in Oz), yellow dusters if you still use them, hit up M&S for some basics, hair products(if you use them as hard to find a replacement as less choice). Clothes and shoes depending on what you wear and what type of shops you go to, as some things here less choice and more $$ if you can actually find them. If you are bringing you bedding over ie duvet, covers etc get some extras in the UK, much cheaper and the bedding here will not fit the UK measurements. If you are bringing you bed, check out what size it is as the previous comment also applies. Do a search on wikipedia for bed sizes.

This is one thing I wish I brought, as impossible to find but so useful:

http://www.diy.com/search?Ntt=folding+crates

Also things like 4 way adapters are very useful, just buy a new plug in Oz and swap it over and then no hassle. Maybe some extension cords.

As a few other poster's mentioned bring as much as you can afford in the shipping costs, will work out cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yelverton said:

My long boots and winter coat. Adelaide is cold and winter is coming again. Dreading it...

It's my central heating, radiators, double glazing and gas heater in the sitting room that I wish I could have taken with me to Sydney. My unit is not actually too bad in winter but some of the homes I've been in are bleak and un-heatable in winter. My brother had a rumpus cellar which was heaven in summer but an icy hell in winter - an igloo would have been warmer and more welcoming.

Next life...Not to go to Smellbum. Perth, yes, Brissie, yes, Adelaide would be better than Smellbum, The Darwin, most likely.

The rest, I went north and would do so, again. Not a lover of cities...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, Ozzie said:

So this is a question for those who have already made the move. Just wondering if you had your time again, what would you do differently?

Not looking for 'never have moved' sort of thing (and please if we can not have a Australia vs. UK heated debate), more of a 'wish I had taken x, y and z' or 'left the... behind' or done something in advance of the move.

We've 6 month exactly today until we arrive so grateful for those with experience & thanks for any insights.

STAYED PUT

• Like 1

Wish we hadn't sold our U.K. Home - it would have appreciated very nicely. Wish we had had regular "status" talks and regular progress decision dates. Wish we hadn't hoarded quite so much over the years we were there, just keep the sentimental stuff not the "it might come in handy one day" stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may hit up Poundland and Primark for lots of cheap household items, plugs and lots and lots of hair ties my little girls go threw them by the hundreds

How much does vitamins cost... I take 5 different types and get them so cheap in savers should I stock up?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1

Wouldn't bother bringing cheap plastic kitchen containers. I've been through a few rounds of pantry moth and the critters got into all my containers even the better quality stuff. I've seen lock n lock advertised and would replace with these if I was replacing.