Dependant child aged 18?

Dean Linz 5

o.O:/ Hi everyone, If anyone could offer me some advice it would be very much appreciated. We are hoping to move to Perth in the not too distant future, but due to being 5 points short for a permanent visa we would unfortunately need to apply for a 457 T/V with a view to applying for the 887 P/V after 2 yrs. We have a daughter who will be 18 when we apply who would apparently therefore need to be in full time education to be able to be included on our visa due to her age? We have looked into a full time college course that interests her but she has also been offered the same qualification but as an apprenticeship which she would get a small wage for; £350 p/m. She would still be living at home and obviously would be dependant on us still on such a low wage. Therefore my question is... although this apprenticeship wouldn't be classed as being in full time education, as most of her week would be hands on in placement, it is still a learner course so would this still make her eligible to be on our visa?

Sorry to make it long winded but thought I need to properly explain my circumstances.

Thank you in advance.

Hi yes I think I will need to speak to a migration agent to be sure. It is very difficult, although I have read other people say that they managed to get their children over under similar circumstances. Good luck to you and all the best for your new life. If I find out any more info on this I will repost on here for your info.

No legal / law advice from me, but some hindsight for what its worth.  I applied for (a couple of years back) and was granted a PR visa and wanted to include my two adult children (both 20+ at the time), but they were both working in good jobs and so non-dependent.  They are now both here in Melbourne on WH Visa's and looking for a longer term visa, ideally leading to PR or citizen.

The hard lesson, as a parent, is that I should have made them give up work, shown they were dependent on me and then included them on my visa.

My advice, do everything you can to get them on your visa as its not as easy as people think to bring your adult children to Oz on their own visa.  Its a minefield and so stressful for the parents.

All else fails, we all up sticks and head somewhere else. 

On 3/28/2017 at 8:48 PM, Dean Linz 5 said:

o.O:/ Hi everyone, If anyone could offer me some advice it would be very much appreciated. We are hoping to move to Perth in the not too distant future, but due to being 5 points short for a permanent visa we would unfortunately need to apply for a 457 T/V with a view to applying for the 887 P/V after 2 yrs. We have a daughter who will be 18 when we apply who would apparently therefore need to be in full time education to be able to be included on our visa due to her age? We have looked into a full time college course that interests her but she has also been offered the same qualification but as an apprenticeship which she would get a small wage for; £350 p/m. She would still be living at home and obviously would be dependant on us still on such a low wage. Therefore my question is... although this apprenticeship wouldn't be classed as being in full time education, as most of her week would be hands on in placement, it is still a learner course so would this still make her eligible to be on our visa?

Sorry to make it long winded but thought I need to properly explain my circumstances.

Thank you in advance.

Dependency of children over the age of 18 can be a complex issue. The Regulations have recently changed and the definition of "Member of Family Unit" is different depending on what visa you are applying for. There are also specific provisions if you are going from one type of visa to another (457 to a 186 for example).

Do your homework well or obtain professional advice, as your decisions now could affect future applications.