You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Anyone else watch channel 7s Sunday Night program last night?

He makes bold claims usually against scientific facts, heres a few:

Paleo 

We promote an organic diet of small to moderate amounts of well sourced seafood and or meat from land animals, an abundance of colourful vegetables and fruit, (lower carb preferably as the majority of your intake) and good quality dietary fat as opposed to the criminal low fat movement.

Avoid dairy 

We encourage people to ditch the dairy as a marketed health food from the dairy association for 3 months and see how their bodies feel without it.

Some of his other claims are really out there, how do you stand on his whole approach to life and eating 'well'.

Money spinners or does he talk sense? 

Edited by Sunset

My middle son is non dairy by choice and he is pretty damn healthy, without having to do anything to maintain it.

My husband and son are paleo and looking at them you would think they are as strong, fit and healthy specimens as you would see anywhere. DH pushing 70 looks around 50 and lifts weights that many 40 year olds would struggle with. At 35 DS is one of the strongest people I know, both seem quite healthy (touch wood) and both have been avidly paleo for around 15 years. My granddaughters are paleo and have been since birth, they're pretty healthy specimens too.

• Like 1

I like cheese too much to go non dairy xD besides wouldn't cutting out dairy increase your chances of getting osteoporosis when you're older? Or are vitamin supplements enough to help?

11 hours ago, BritChickx said:

I like cheese too much to go non dairy xD besides wouldn't cutting out dairy increase your chances of getting osteoporosis when you're older? Or are vitamin supplements enough to help?

Lots of other places to get calcium from.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BritChickx said:

You can get calcium from canned fish (sardines and salmon which have the bones), broccoli, spinach and other green leafy veg amongst other things.  The list of places it can be found is quite surprising!  You do need adequate vitamin D and magnesium along with it though.  I don't drink milk (and never have done really) and just have a tiny bit in my tea or coffee.  I do like cheese though!  I think Paleo Pete takes it a bit too much to the extreme, but in principle I don't think that eating lots of veggies and some fruit, meat, fish and healthy fats is a bad way to go.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LKC said:

You can get calcium from canned fish (sardines and salmon which have the bones), broccoli, spinach and other green leafy veg amongst other things.  The list of places it can be found is quite surprising!  You do need adequate vitamin D and magnesium along with it though.  I don't drink milk (and never have done really) and just have a tiny bit in my tea or coffee.  I do like cheese though!  I think Paleo Pete takes it a bit too much to the extreme, but in principle I don't think that eating lots of veggies and some fruit, meat, fish and healthy fats is a bad way to go.  

I do like my dairy, but the allowed foods seem quite reasonable. But it does look like it would cost more.

• Like 1

I think he is sadly misguided and would also like to see his degrees in medicine/nutrition. A publicity stunt which could be very dangerous.