On the news earlier the WA powers are trying to ban the use of plastic carrier bags from all shops, as it is having an impact on the local coastline apparently?

I am all for clean beaches and a cleaner environment, but when ever we walk the beaches here i can honestly say hand on heart we never see any litter only washed up seaweed. 

Now the areas around some shopping centres are sadly beginning to show the signs of litter drop, but thats allsorts of rubbish not just the grey plastic bags? 

Sadly, most Australians in my locality are behind the times on this issue as they are on many other environmental issues.  We take our own carrier bags but we are almost unique in this where we live and shop workers will routinely bag single small items and use many more bags than are actually needed - and shoppers here clearly want and expect this.

There is very little littering but I don't think people consider what happens to rubbish once it has been collected. 

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

I must admit I was surprised when I visited QLD at the profusion of plastic supermarket bags.  Not like that in SA at all.

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Don't get me wrong the parts of WA we have visited and live in are exceptionally clean, but some of the larger shopping centres do appear to be on a grubby route of late. Especially centres like the one at Midland the surrounding shopping outlets all seem to have gone down hill of late, i know there as been massive infrastructure improvements but it just looks tired and scruffy, ok this is not down to plastic shopping bags alone but it does raise a bigger issue of general rubbish especially around some centres.

2 hours ago, Sunset said:

On the news earlier the WA powers are trying to ban the use of plastic carrier bags from all shops, as it is having an impact on the local coastline apparently?

I am all for clean beaches and a cleaner environment, but when ever we walk the beaches here i can honestly say hand on heart we never see any litter only washed up seaweed. 

Now the areas around some shopping centres are sadly beginning to show the signs of litter drop, but thats allsorts of rubbish not just the grey plastic bags? 

They used to plough the beaches in the early morning to bury rubbish. Do they still do that?

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

1 hour ago, Sunset said:

Don't get me wrong the parts of WA we have visited and live in are exceptionally clean, but some of the larger shopping centres do appear to be on a grubby route of late. Especially centres like the one at Midland the surrounding shopping outlets all seem to have gone down hill of late, i know there as been massive infrastructure improvements but it just looks tired and scruffy, ok this is not down to plastic shopping bags alone but it does raise a bigger issue of general rubbish especially around some centres.

I have been amazed at the difference it has made in the UK. Plus it's no great hardship, but I do tend to forget to take the long life ones out of the back of the car. I do wish they would work out a better system for internet delivery of groceries.

• Like 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

27 minutes ago, newjez said:

They used to plough the beaches in the early morning to bury rubbish. Do they still do that?

I don't think so maybe down at the 'hotspot' beaches but not up here on the out of the tourist way beaches.

In the UK plastic bags are charged for and it means most people take their own. Far better for the environment.

3 hours ago, Sunset said:

Once debris gets into the ocean it is carried by strong currents all around the world.  So you may not notice much locally but somewhere it will be doing damage - particularly to marine creatures who die as a result of ingesting plastic.  Turtles are especially vulnerable.    Each year there is a clean up of the beaches of the south west wilderness coastline of Tasmania.  No one lives there and very few people visit as it's very difficult to get to  (you have to bushwalk in or land by boat on a very treacherous coastline) ...but this February they arrived back in Hobart with 66,000+ items of debris (they count as they collect).   And if you think that's bad - they've been doing this annually for about 7 years.   These have come on  currents down the west coast of Australia and across the Indian Ocean.

http://wha-marinedebris.blogspot.com.au/   

The problem with supermarket plastic bags is that they take aeons to break down, even if they are in land fill.  I'm really surprised they haven't been banned in all Australian states.  Here (in Tas. ) the only plastic bags available at supermarkets are reuseable ones - at a cost of 20 cents each. The ones provided by butchers etc. have to be biodegradable.

I've been using reuseable fabric bags for about 20 years.  Once you get into the habit of keeping them in the car it's no problem.  And for unexpected purchases you can also buy nylon bags which are very strong but which fold up very small for pockets or handbags.

• Like 1

We banned plastic bags about 3 years ago in ACT, you can purchase the thicker re-usables for 15c and then re-use them, or just take your own bags or boxes in.   Caused the usual fuss, but a no-brainer really. 10 years ago in gas guzzling America they were packing your shopping in brown paper bags that would degrade, so why Australia and then the UK took so long, god only knows.

I saw the Daily Mail article when they introduced it in the UK, and the helpful advice that you could "beat the charge" by taking your own bags...dur. O.o

Matt Hancock on TV, crying like the stepfather appealing for the return of the daughter he knows is buried under the garage floor.

•  

Not long ago Perth (and other aussie beaches) had a huge problem with syringes that the druggies left behind.. I suppose plastic bags aren't as bad as that.

6 hours ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

I saw the Daily Mail article when they introduced it in the UK, and the helpful advice that you could "beat the charge" by taking your own bags...dur. O.o

Seems logical to most people

1 hour ago, simmo said:

Seems logical to most people

The intention of the ban is to make you take your own bags. After spending weeks complaining about the 5p charge, they suddenly had a brainwave about how they could avoid paying 5p..

Matt Hancock on TV, crying like the stepfather appealing for the return of the daughter he knows is buried under the garage floor.

•  

3 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

The intention of the ban is to make you take your own bags. After spending weeks complaining about the 5p charge, they suddenly had a brainwave about how they could avoid paying 5p..

so what's the problem?

1 hour ago, simmo said:

so what's the problem?

you'll have to work that one out for yourself mate !

•