New customs process - submit your ToR for UK shipments and pets at least 3 weeks before you move

ScottieGirl

10 minutes ago, Rmcg said:

Ok so we are staying with my in-laws when we are there so do I need to get a letter from them to say we will be living with them or is my British passport enough?

I think I just put the address on the form. Definitely didn’t get a letter but my uk drivers license had that address and I cannot remember if I supplied that. Do the instructions say you need evidence of an address? If not, your passport will be enough, you are legally entitled to be here. 😀

ETA: not sure if they have increased the size of the uploads you can attach but when I did mine last year it was a tiny amount. I had to scan in at the lowest resolution so I didn’t go over the size limit.

You should get an instant reply saying it’s been received when you submit, if you don’t it means it probably hasn’t got there and that’s usually the size of the uploads is too big. This was last year so hopefully they have refined the process further and the system is working better!

Edited by Amber Snowball
Add information

On 31/05/2018 at 11:46, Amber Snowball said:

So. Fairly sure this process has aged me 20 years......

Read this thread, thank you everyone, scanned all my docs, filled in form, sent to email on form. Nothing back. Sent again to the alternative email on this thread. Nothing back. Realised I hadn’t written “live animals” in the subject line, so resent to both emails. Nothing back. Asked Chess removals, they provided a contact number. Rang the number, lady said not here, transferred me to man. Man said not him and TOR no longer take calls. Have to send an email enquiry. Sent email enquiry with no attachments to both emails. Got an automated response from both emails. Decided attachments must be too large. Rescanned all attachments at lowest dpi. Got email from man at hmrc saying send it directly to him. Sent to hmrc man. Number given within 1.5 hours.

Much relief. Many hours of my life I will not get back but tenacity is definitely required! ?

Hi Amber Snowball. I am having the same issue now getting hold of TOR people in the UK for my URN number. I have tried via twitter, tried phoning and an automated response says they are too busy and cuts the call. I got my automated email response to say the application got there but its impossible to contact anyone directly. I saw your post here and was wondering if you could fish out the old direct email you got from the man at hrmc last year and give me that persons direct email so I can try that. It may be a long shot and they may not even work anymore but I am desperate and will try anything. It's just impossible to make a direct contact with them but you seem to have had success. Our stuff is meant to ship this week and need the URN number before it can go. I would truly appreciate if you could share that direct contact email you managed to eventually get so I could try that avenue .Thanks a lot.

6 hours ago, Matt Green said:

Hi Amber Snowball. I am having the same issue now getting hold of TOR people in the UK for my URN number. I have tried via twitter, tried phoning and an automated response says they are too busy and cuts the call. I got my automated email response to say the application got there but its impossible to contact anyone directly. I saw your post here and was wondering if you could fish out the old direct email you got from the man at hrmc last year and give me that persons direct email so I can try that. It may be a long shot and they may not even work anymore but I am desperate and will try anything. It's just impossible to make a direct contact with them but you seem to have had success. Our stuff is meant to ship this week and need the URN number before it can go. I would truly appreciate if you could share that direct contact email you managed to eventually get so I could try that avenue .Thanks a lot.

We had an email from a person rather than automated. It was Michael.frys@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk 

you could try that, it was back in Feb 2017 but worth a go.🙂

• Like 1

On 12/06/2019 at 18:12, Matt Green said:

David murphy was the man I spoke to. 

Not sure if they want us sharing these on a public forum but you won’t have access to private messages yet! Good luck!

Hi all, I’ve had a quick skim through here and elsewhere online but can’t seem to find clarification so apologies is this has been asked before. 

I have booked a shipment with Seven Seas which will depart in around 3.5 weeks time. I know there is currently a 4 week backlog on HMRC processing ToR forms so I am keen to get these wheels in motion ASAP. 

I’m struggling with the inventory list. We will only be sending back a tool bag with some some handtools and some of my clothing. How specific does the list need to be? 

I’ve read that people just using the shipping company packing list but we are packing our own boxes and Seven Seas haven’t asked us for specific info as to what is in them. 

In terms of clothing, does anyone know what is acceptable for the list? Is “Ladies clothing - 20 items all worn and purchased over six months ago” enough or does it need to be more specific and list each individual item, such as “Ladies winter coat, bought in 2017 for A$150”? 

The issue is I haven’t decided exactly what items of clothing I’like be packing my my suitcase and what I will be shipping. I don’t want to delay the process but also don’t want to risk it getting knocked back after being in a queue for four weeks. 

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

34 minutes ago, dingdong said:

Hi all, I’ve had a quick skim through here and elsewhere online but can’t seem to find clarification so apologies is this has been asked before. 

I have booked a shipment with Seven Seas which will depart in around 3.5 weeks time. I know there is currently a 4 week backlog on HMRC processing ToR forms so I am keen to get these wheels in motion ASAP. 

I’m struggling with the inventory list. We will only be sending back a tool bag with some some handtools and some of my clothing. How specific does the list need to be? 

I’ve read that people just using the shipping company packing list but we are packing our own boxes and Seven Seas haven’t asked us for specific info as to what is in them. 

In terms of clothing, does anyone know what is acceptable for the list? Is “Ladies clothing - 20 items all worn and purchased over six months ago” enough or does it need to be more specific and list each individual item, such as “Ladies winter coat, bought in 2017 for A$150”? 

The issue is I haven’t decided exactly what items of clothing I’like be packing my my suitcase and what I will be shipping. I don’t want to delay the process but also don’t want to risk it getting knocked back after being in a queue for four weeks. 

Thanks in advance. 

I just wrote ‘clothes’. No costs or detail. My list to HMRC for the TOR had loads more on than I actually sent and it wasn’t an issue. Just write everything you might take on the TOR so it’s covered if you do take it. If it’s only clothes, shoes and work tools then that’s it. You could pad out with toiletries, boots, coats to make it more interesting but otherwise that’s it!

4 hours ago, dingdong said:

Thanks in advance. 

We were not specific at all. We just literally listed what we were bringing. Ok we used the packers list as our list but still that just said “clothes” “kitchenware” “linen cupboard” etc. Also write on the box the same thing, i.e contents and from which room. I am pretty sure that the completion of the form is just a formality because they cannot literally check every box! It is also to confirm that for VAT purposes the goods are your own and you intend to keep them in your possession for 12 months after your move. Obviously if you decide to sell some furniture etc they won’t know, we bought a motorbike with us as we didn’t just want to sell it there for a low price just to get rid of it, after 12 months we sold it which was fine. Honestly we had no problems. If they want further information they will contact you by email. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Brit Girl said:

Hi guys, 

just a few questions.With move cube do they drop off the boxes you need or do you have to source your own.Also can i ship artifical plants back to the Uk or shall i start selling them off now? Pls advize

Brit Girl

They usually provide some boxes but check what’s included in your quote. They can supply as many extra as you like, but will charge you for them 

10 hours ago, Brit Girl said:

Hi guys, 

just a few questions.With move cube do they drop off the boxes you need or do you have to source your own.Also can i ship artifical plants back to the Uk or shall i start selling them off now? Pls advize

Brit Girl

I got half a dozen boxes I think with my large cube. I should think artificial plants are fine. No dirt for bugs and things to live in.

• 1 month later...

Hello all..

Just about to make a start on this process and have a couple of questions if I may.

Am thinking about sending 2 separate shipments by different methods, a few items I want to arrive quickly as I will need them will go by air freight, and the remainder in a move cube as no real hurry for that stuff.

Can I use 1 TOR number for both?

We're also shipping our fur baby but I read somewhere already that he can use the same TOR as our other shipment so I think that is covered.

Thanks in advance, and +1 to whoever said this processed aged them 20 years, just thinking about it has done that to me (especially the fur baby part).

Paco_2.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alrsv1 said:

Hello all..

Just about to make a start on this process and have a couple of questions if I may.

Am thinking about sending 2 separate shipments by different methods, a few items I want to arrive quickly as I will need them will go by air freight, and the remainder in a move cube as no real hurry for that stuff.

We're also shipping our fur baby but I read somewhere already that he can use the same TOR as our other shipment so I think that is covered.

Thanks in advance, and +1 to whoever said this processed aged them 20 years, just thinking about it has done that to me (especially the fur baby part).

Paco_2.jpg

Oh, he’s so cute!

Yes I think you use the same number for everything. Just list it out. I did general descriptions, ie ‘kitchen utensils ‘ ‘ linen’ that sort of thing.  List the dog as well! It’s only so you don’t get charged VAT. I listed far more than I actually ended up taking and it wasn’t an issue.

Good luck and a happy return!

9 hours ago, Alrsv1 said:

Hello all..

I think you need one TOR for each shipment especially if they are arriving at different times. We were the first people to complete a TOR with Chess and they thought we had to do one per PERSON, so we did and then we only got one TOR number which worries me slightly!! I contacted HMRC and they said it was one per SHIPMENT. Ask the shipper of your main lot, they should know really. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 05:48, roltyid said:

Any changes to the ToR processing times?  It's been 4 weeks since i posted off the forms and supporting documents but not heard anything as yet.  Need the ToR to get a Movecube booked in for next month.

Mine only took a few days to get approval, (that was about 6 weeks ago) but that was the online one, hard to believe the postal one would take that much longer.

FWIW you dont need to have the ToR before you book your move cube, you can book it etc and then provide the ToR number afterwards.

I didn't have my ToR # when we shipped, when the dogs arrived I was just prepared to bite the bullet and pay whatever, however it was only £50 for the 2 of them which I couldn't even be arsed filling the forms in to get the money back. The ToR # came through before the MoveCube turned up, that took 6 weeks anyway, not sure how much that would have been. Didn't need the ref ID to actually move stuff.

On 12/11/2019 at 20:54, Alrsv1 said:

Mine only took a few days to get approval, (that was about 6 weeks ago) but that was the online one, hard to believe the postal one would take that much longer.

FWIW you dont need to have the ToR before you book your move cube, you can book it etc and then provide the ToR number afterwards.

Ended up emailing HMRC in the end - got the ToR reference within two days.  No doubt some additional clusterfcuk will occur when they attempt to process the postal application and discover they've already issued it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just did our ToR application yesterday, seemed to be straight forward, just asked for 3 items of documentation, passport, utility bill and inventory of our items ( we used our inventory summary from our removals quote plus an estimated insurance  value form from letton percival ).

no pets , no car 

Emailed it off to nch.tor@hmrc.gov.uk. , got auto-reply acknowledgement straight away , then got the number back within a few hours.

one item ticked off the list 🙂

• Congratulations 1