Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ScottieGirl

New customs process - submit your ToR for UK shipments and pets at least 3 weeks before you move

Recommended Posts

So glad you got it resolved - I think it's the same man sorting things out.  Whoever he is he needs a pay rise.  Think he's a softy for fur babies and doesn't want anything to go wrong.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an FYI. 

Just spoke to them as we haven’t had our URN through yet after applying 6th June. The woman says they have a backlog and are as of today up to the 21st May. So it appears they are taking a month or so at the moment. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need urgent help, please...

 I applied for ToR, attaching a covering letter, application form, British passport page, list of items I am importing and a utility bill from 4 years ago, to prove my address here in Australia.

 I will be staying with my father and looking for work once we arrive. I have received an email today stating this:

————————-

Dear Sir/Madam

The decision on your application for Transfer of Residence relief has been deferred as you have not provided (proof of UK residency/intention). We will review your application once this has been received.

The enclosures list on the front of the application form explains what to supply with your claim.

————————- 

Any suggestions as to what else I can submit would be gratefully received. I don’t have a rental agreement or any proof of where we will be living, other than the address. We fly out next week, with our cats, so I’m getting desperate....

I’ve been trying to call them but can’t get through.

Thanks 

 

Edited by Dee in Oz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there will be lots of response from others on the forum very soon.  

If you have British passport don't you have right of entry regardless. I would be inclined to call them today to get talking.  Perhaps it was an oversight on their end. 

Also if you're living with family - are they renting or perhaps get copy of council rates and use this as support of where you're going to be living.  Living with family is strong case as family will be supporting you. Can you get that asap? And if they're renting get copy of rental slip.  But council tax receipt is evidence of family residence - be it rental or owned. 

But I would place emphasis on your British passport status.  This means you have full rights (I don't know why you wouldn't). 

Good luck.  

Sue 

Xxx

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dee in Oz said:

I need urgent help, please...

 I applied for ToR, attaching a covering letter, application form, British passport page, list of items I am importing and a utility bill from 4 years ago, to prove my address here in Australia.

 I will be staying with my father and looking for work once we arrive. I have received an email today stating this:

————————-

Dear Sir/Madam

The decision on your application for Transfer of Residence relief has been deferred as you have not provided (proof of UK residency/intention). We will review your application once this has been received.

The enclosures list on the front of the application form explains what to supply with your claim.

————————- 

Any suggestions as to what else I can submit would be gratefully received. I don’t have a rental agreement or any proof of where we will be living, other than the address. We fly out next week, with our cats, so I’m getting desperate....

I’ve been trying to call them but can’t get through.

Thanks 

 

We just provided my mother-in-laws address and sent a covering email to say that we'd be looking for a rental once we arrived, copies of our passports to prove citizenship, but we also provided a copy of my OH's work contract because he'd managed to find work before we left.  However, you don't have this.  Could you email them back and ask what other information you need?  Also reiterate that you are moving back to your father's address temporarily whilst you look for a rental/work.  I would imagine there are lots of people who go back in the same circumstances, so there must be a way round it.

Worst case scenario, you might have to pay import duty on your cats, but you would be able to claim it back once you find a job/rental and can prove your intention to resettle.  If you are shipping belongings you should be able to sort the TOR out whilst your things are still at sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, suesmalls said:

I'm sure there will be lots of response from others on the forum very soon.  

If you have British passport don't you have right of entry regardless. I would be inclined to call them today to get talking.  Perhaps it was an oversight on their end. 

Also if you're living with family - are they renting or perhaps get copy of council rates and use this as support of where you're going to be living.  Living with family is strong case as family will be supporting you. Can you get that asap? And if they're renting get copy of rental slip.  But council tax receipt is evidence of family residence - be it rental or owned. 

But I would place emphasis on your British passport status.  This means you have full rights (I don't know why you wouldn't). 

Good luck.  

Sue 

Xxx

 

 

 

 

Thanks for your reply, Sue. I have been unable to contact them by phone, I got recorded message with an alternative number to call but couldn’t get through at all.

I wrote a covering letter stating when I had left and my reasons for returning to the UK. I have replied to the email stating that I thought I had the right to return to live there. My son also has a British passport, so he has that right too. 

I will have to get proof of my father’s address once we arrive, he will get himself in a state if I ask him to sort it by himself. I’ll just have to claim the VAT back for the cats...

Thanks again xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did not provide any details on our application and only our passports. So I don't foresee they're being an issue, just an administrative glitch. 

I'm sure this will get sorted.  Just keep on them and follow up your email.

Good luck xx

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LKC said:

We just provided my mother-in-laws address and sent a covering email to say that we'd be looking for a rental once we arrived, copies of our passports to prove citizenship, but we also provided a copy of my OH's work contract because he'd managed to find work before we left.  However, you don't have this.  Could you email them back and ask what other information you need?  Also reiterate that you are moving back to your father's address temporarily whilst you look for a rental/work.  I would imagine there are lots of people who go back in the same circumstances, so there must be a way round it.

Worst case scenario, you might have to pay import duty on your cats, but you would be able to claim it back once you find a job/rental and can prove your intention to resettle.  If you are shipping belongings you should be able to sort the TOR out whilst your things are still at sea.

Thank you. 

I think you are right about the cats and paying VAT. I’ll be buying a property once we find something suitable but I have given them my father’s address as somewhere we will be living once we arrive. I’ll get him to sign something and find a utility bill to prove he lives there too.

Our possessions were picked up last week so there’s plenty of time to sort the ToR out before they arrive....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dee in Oz said:

Thank you. 

I think you are right about the cats and paying VAT. I’ll be buying a property once we find something suitable but I have given them my father’s address as somewhere we will be living once we arrive. I’ll get him to sign something and find a utility bill to prove he lives there too.

Our possessions were picked up last week so there’s plenty of time to sort the ToR out before they arrive....

You will be able to claim it back. It just might be worth making sure you have documentation for the cats to hand, for example their adoption certificates from the pound if they were rescue cats, just to show what you paid for them.  We brought our cats back and had no trouble because we had our TOR reference, but you might need to prove what you paid for them before customs will release them (or that you didn't pay for them, I guess).  It also might be worth finding out if you pay duty on just the cats, or whether you have to pay on the shipping costs too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LKC said:

You will be able to claim it back. It just might be worth making sure you have documentation for the cats to hand, for example their adoption certificates from the pound if they were rescue cats, just to show what you paid for them.  We brought our cats back and had no trouble because we had our TOR reference, but you might need to prove what you paid for them before customs will release them (or that you didn't pay for them, I guess).  It also might be worth finding out if you pay duty on just the cats, or whether you have to pay on the shipping costs too.

It’s such a mine field and a real money earner, obviously.

We rescued the cats over 11 years ago. I’ve estimated their value at £50 each on the import paperwork. Not sure who else would want them though ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given how much they cost in food and other, you should be allowed to put a negative value ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2018 at 09:41, Dee in Oz said:

Thank you. 

I think you are right about the cats and paying VAT. I’ll be buying a property once we find something suitable but I have given them my father’s address as somewhere we will be living once we arrive. I’ll get him to sign something and find a utility bill to prove he lives there too.

Our possessions were picked up last week so there’s plenty of time to sort the ToR out before they arrive....

Hi, they aren’t taking phone calls anymore apparently. Email the same address you sent the TOR to and put live animals as the subject line. I got a reply within the hour. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys !
I am about to leave Australia soon and return back .
I i am here in Australia nearly 7 years and i think to use as evidence , a bill of electricity or the rental agreement. 
There is a section that they ask the INVOICES , PROOFS OF GUARANTEE ETC . I don't have any invoice after 7 years in Australia . What we do in that case ?
 invoices, proofs of guarantee etc. for the goods you wish to import (commercial documents)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't provide any evidence and all was ok.  I did provide summary that due to my length of time in Australia it would be impractical to keep warranties post expiry (generally only 2yrs old). 

As we didn't know at time of purchase or expiry of warranty they would ever be needed there is no need to keep. 

The shipping manifest was provided as support what was being imported to England. 

Good luck

Sue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, suesmalls said:

I didn't provide any evidence and all was ok.  I did provide summary that due to my length of time in Australia it would be impractical to keep warranties post expiry (generally only 2yrs old). 

As we didn't know at time of purchase or expiry of warranty they would ever be needed there is no need to keep. 

The shipping manifest was provided as support what was being imported to England. 

Good luck

Sue 


Also is it very important to have an address there in UK ?
My wife is there now and live in a room .
We was thinking to send the container there and unload everything in a Self Storage , till we get a house !
One more question is , do i have to make a specific item list and write down one by one item , or just general for example : kitchen hardware , hi fi stereo equipment etc....

Thank you very much for the reply Sue!

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi There 

The shipping manifest was generalised.  Bedroom furniture, clothing, stereo, 2 x flat screen tv, gardening tools, exercise bike, and stated how many boxes of clothes,  how many beds. 

Not extremely detailed but as we had boxes it was noted how many and from what room they were taken.  Assume you're packing yourself?

We used mother in laws address as point of contact.  Do you have family / friend with residential address? Can't see why your wife's address albiet temporary couldn't be used but we did have a long term address.  We didn't actually stay there either. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope all goes well.  Shipping company kept container for first few weeks as part of our overall fee we paid. They would unload into storage area I would imagine? You pay for unload?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to pack , load and unload myself !
It is way cheaper and i am very fusy with my equipment , so i will take care of the stuff ? 
The plan is for me to leave Australia when i ship the container .
That means that i will be UK at least one month before the container arrive .

In that 30 days i will try to get a house and inform the customs agent about the address .
If not i will rent a self storage and the delivery of the container will be there and i will unload everything myself .
I don't have too many , just a 2 bedroom house , me and my wife ? 
So i will try to use the address that my wife rent the room now and let's hope that i am not going to have any issue !

Thank you very much Sue ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t provide any receipts or paperwork. I made a general list on a spreadsheet and attached that as I did my own packing. Used a movecube not a container.

I used my aunts address for the TOR but told the shipping company the general area I would want my stuff delivered to and will have it stored if I’m not ready.

Just use very low resolution scans for the TOR as it only accepts very small attachments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had so much stuff. Full container they are squeezing shut the doors.  

We used Chess they were good.  But if you can save money then great. 

I think that address should be ok.  They'll let you know either way. 

Good luck with it all. I found rent very expensive in England. But I'm sure you've been looking. 

Good reminder about the scan of your list, use low resolution.  Or the Elson submission gets bounced. 

Best wishes xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to Newcastle Upon Tyne and rent for self storage is not that bad .

30 pounds a week for big room to fit everything in. 

I don't think that I am going to need it more than a month .

Thank you for all the info guys , good helpful people ?.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys it's me again ? 
Why they ask 2 signed lists of goods .... ?
this is how they ask
• two signed lists of goods, state the goods you wish to import on this list and identify any goods not eligible for ToR
So what the difference if i make one list instead of two ?

Thank you very much 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nick Raptis said:

Hello guys it's me again ? 
Why they ask 2 signed lists of goods .... ?
this is how they ask
• two signed lists of goods, state the goods you wish to import on this list and identify any goods not eligible for ToR
So what the difference if i make one list instead of two ?

Thank you very much 

 

I only attached one. Maybe the 2 lists is for posted applications? I agree, 2 electronic forms makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

I only attached one. Maybe the 2 lists is for posted applications? I agree, 2 electronic forms makes no sense.

That's it, no problem ?  
I was very confused.... 


Thank you very much !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only posted one list and can't recall being asked for two.  Play it safe as all goods you want to import. 

Good luck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×