New customs process - submit your ToR for UK shipments and pets at least 3 weeks before you move

ScottieGirl

Only took 20 mins tops.  Did you see the posts about alternate email address to that listed on the form (you'll see the stated email address at the end of the form when you get there).

I haven't had response yet.  Will be ringing.  Did mine on 24 June.

Good luck 

• Like 2

I agree about 20 mins. You only need to do ONE though. We thought we had to do one each but it is one per shipment apparently. I found that out when we only got one reference number and I rang to query it[emoji4].

Good luck Pixie77 when is your move date? Suesmalls, I know when yours is!!!!![emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well my TOR came through today as successful/granted, whatever..... First attempt to apply was June 23rd, don't think that one went through. Second try, different email address, June 26 and I think that's the one that got ok'd. 11 to 12 working days and just in time, packers turn up in the morning!!

• Like 2

Hi @Pixie77

Not long now.  Hope all going well. We're packing now & have Chess coming on Thursday & Friday this week.  We're flying on 26th & the same day as settlement too. 2 cats go same day. 

Got alot of things to sort out & take care of before we go.  Still haven't sold our main car.  Got buyer coming on Sunday / Monday for look.  Fingers crossed.  

Glad you got your TOR @Gareth 666

I'll call tmrw night. Did mine similar time as you.  

• Like 1

Hi,

We applied for our TOR on 1 July and have received it today.  

Still got things to sell, dropped prices as it seems only low value items selling, we have also got a car to sell and have dropped the price on that.  Everything else booked and ready to go.  

Chess packing 27 & 28 and collecting 31 July, settlement 1 August.  Dogs being collected 1 August and going to kennels ready to fly on the 2 arriving 3 and being staying in kennels at Heathrow ready for collection on Friday 4.  We fly evening 1 August, planning to buy a car in between picking the dogs up.  

Have managed to get a short term rental in Devon for 3 months, job market a bit slow over there due to summer holidays so hopefully a couple of jobs that were put on hold till whilst we were over there in June will spring back into life after the holiday period.  Got a couple of areas in mind with regards to house purchase Dorset/Wiltshire areas, but depends on what jobs come up!

Not had a good nights sleep since we got back from the UK at the end of June!  Too much to think about and organise!  So far all is going well.

• Like 3

We got a second TOR with a different number as well.  We tried both of the email addresses as well due to the first one didn't receive a confirmation email once sent.  So we assumed it wasn't working and sent another one through to the other email address!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just got a quick question for those who have sent the TOR forms recently.  When I did ours I sent it to the email that was at the end of the form first, but it bounced and I saw on here that there was another email address to send it to, so I tried to send it to that one and it bounced again.  I saw that there had been a problem with file size, so I fixed that up and sent it to the second email again.  I got an immediate response from that email address which I assumed to be a receipt, since it said 'NCH Auto-Receipts' as the subject line.  I didn't click on the email at the time because I figured it was just an automatically generated receipt.  However, I've just had a look at the email and it mentions nothing about the TOR at all.  It says that 'HMRC acknowledges receipt of your email' but then goes on to say something about marine and air import clearance times of 2-3 hours, nothing about the TOR.  Is this the email message that other posters got on emailing the forms and supplementary evidence, or should I do it again?  I'm a bit worried that I won't get the number in time for our four cats to be shipped.

2 hours ago, LKC said:

I've just got a quick question for those who have sent the TOR forms recently.  When I did ours I sent it to the email that was at the end of the form first, but it bounced and I saw on here that there was another email address to send it to, so I tried to send it to that one and it bounced again.  I saw that there had been a problem with file size, so I fixed that up and sent it to the second email again.  I got an immediate response from that email address which I assumed to be a receipt, since it said 'NCH Auto-Receipts' as the subject line.  I didn't click on the email at the time because I figured it was just an automatically generated receipt.  However, I've just had a look at the email and it mentions nothing about the TOR at all.  It says that 'HMRC acknowledges receipt of your email' but then goes on to say something about marine and air import clearance times of 2-3 hours, nothing about the TOR.  Is this the email message that other posters got on emailing the forms and supplementary evidence, or should I do it again?  I'm a bit worried that I won't get the number in time for our four cats to be shipped.

That message is the same one I got, TOR came 3 weeks later.  If you don't get the TOR in time your cats will still be shipped but you will have to pay VAT when you pick them up then claim it back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

That message is the same one I got, TOR came 3 weeks later.  If you don't get the TOR in time your cats will still be shipped but you will have to pay VAT when you pick them up then claim it back. 

Thank you!  That puts my mind at rest.  I think I'm finding things to worry about at the moment!  I guessed we'd just have to pay VAT and then claim it back, but I'm a bit stressed about the whole cat shipping thing at the moment.

1 hour ago, LKC said:

Thank you!  That puts my mind at rest.  I think I'm finding things to worry about at the moment!  I guessed we'd just have to pay VAT and then claim it back, but I'm a bit stressed about the whole cat shipping thing at the moment.

Tell me about it. My dogs flight was delayed 5 hours. I was a nervous wreck, they were in a much better state than I was when I picked them up. 

Hi @LKC

I haven't been on the forum since arriving in England 27 July.  We had quite few unexpected snags back in Perth with house settlement & last 4 days were manic chaos. 

But we got thru. Little rattled but on one piece.  We sorted the TOR  by phone call.  The cats went with Dogtainers on Emirates. I rang the HMRC  from phone # given from Chess. Waited 30 minutes on hold but eventually got through.  Explained the date we sent off TOR email (& we used both email addresses too). 

He said it was taking 3 weeks.  Which at that time we were into the 3rd week.  He then asked if we had animals.  When I told him we had 2 cats he said well I'll sort it now.  Within 10 minutes of that phone call we got TOR number emailed thru.  Worth making a phone call. 

The ARC also require a local phone number here in England. We used Mother in Law.  When they found out at the ARC we were landing at 1pm and cats landing at 7.40pm and we were going to wait for them they also sent us email to advise they would come through around 9 to 10pm. We got told by Dogtainers usually it takes 4 hours so expect midnight.  We got to ARC 9.30pm and had to wait 15 mins while they sorted out a terrier from Chilli. Then they got cats (2)  through. Everything went well. 

Wish the last 4 days in Perth went better.  But looking forward now. 

Are you putting 2 cats in 2 carriers? We put our 2 in one carrier.  I was genuinely surprised and pleased how well they coped  with the flight.  My 14yr old girl with hyperthyroidism doesn't liked our temporary house on main street in Whittlesey. Neither do I.  So noisy.  Traffic.  Grrr. 

Our rental in Longthorpe near Peterborough city isn't available until 26 September. Container arrives 26 August. 

Hope you get your TOR sorted. 

Sue 

1 hour ago, suesmalls said:

Hi @LKC

I haven't been on the forum since arriving in England 27 July.  We had quite few unexpected snags back in Perth with house settlement & last 4 days were manic chaos. 

But we got thru. Little rattled but on one piece.  We sorted the TOR  by phone call.  The cats went with Dogtainers on Emirates. I rang the HMRC  from phone # given from Chess. Waited 30 minutes on hold but eventually got through.  Explained the date we sent off TOR email (& we used both email addresses too). 

He said it was taking 3 weeks.  Which at that time we were into the 3rd week.  He then asked if we had animals.  When I told him we had 2 cats he said well I'll sort it now.  Within 10 minutes of that phone call we got TOR number emailed thru.  Worth making a phone call. 

The ARC also require a local phone number here in England. We used Mother in Law.  When they found out at the ARC we were landing at 1pm and cats landing at 7.40pm and we were going to wait for them they also sent us email to advise they would come through around 9 to 10pm. We got told by Dogtainers usually it takes 4 hours so expect midnight.  We got to ARC 9.30pm and had to wait 15 mins while they sorted out a terrier from Chilli. Then they got cats (2)  through. Everything went well. 

Wish the last 4 days in Perth went better.  But looking forward now. 

Are you putting 2 cats in 2 carriers? We put our 2 in one carrier.  I was genuinely surprised and pleased how well they coped  with the flight.  My 14yr old girl with hyperthyroidism doesn't liked our temporary house on main street in Whittlesey. Neither do I.  So noisy.  Traffic.  Grrr. 

Our rental in Longthorpe near Peterborough city isn't available until 26 September. Container arrives 26 August. 

Hope you get your TOR sorted. 

Sue 

Thanks for this @suesmalls.  It's interesting to note that you sent the two cats in one carrier with that particular pet transport company.  We decided to go with an oft mentioned company after some glowing reviews on here, but we've not been impressed so far.  It took multiple attempts via email and phone to even get quotes, which they did for both Glasgow and Edinburgh (which involves an extra flight from LHR), we sent the quote acceptance back for Glasgow route (since it is only 10 minutes more drive from our new home, and two flights must be less stressful for them than three) only to have them email and say they'd arrange our pet transport via Edinburgh.  We asked if we could send two cats in a bigger carrier when we initially spoke to them, and were told that they wouldn't do that and that the airlines won't allow it in case they hurt each other on the flight.  When we initially contacted them back in March we were told they'd only need a couple of weeks to organise things, but we're getting closer and closer to our departure and still don't have things organised.

I'm finding the whole process somewhat frustrating, not to mention stressful.  We fly on the 4th of September and were hoping that the cats would fly on the 5th so time is getting on.

• Like 1

Hi @LKC

I'm sorry you're having trouble - I didn't use JetPets because they seemed more sales orientated but many others have and get great reviews.  I'm not sure who you're using and I'm not shy about naming as it can help decide which way to go - for others.

Now you've selected and having issues - I would become a little more forceful with them and ask a few straight questions - I'm hoping they've rectified their error on the booking - this shouldn't be at your cost.

Emirates do allow the cats in one carrier - not sure what airline you're using going to Scotland.  Ask to get someone else involved if your contact isn't assisting.

I'm sure you know what to do but don't be shy in pushing for results and resolution - you're paying good money to get your precious babies moved so you want to make sure they're interested and giving the right results.  I don't like hearing you're having a hard time sorting it out.

That's just my work head on - because it's quite emotional given their you're babies I found it easier for me to treat the coordination like I would be organising something at work.  But Dogtainers did sort things without hassle.

Best wishes in getting this resolved.  I hope you can get through on the phone to resolve TOR number - would be easier to not have to pay out more funds for VAT upfront.  They were easy to deal with on the phone and all they needed from me was the actual day I sent email and name on application .

We've had sunny days so we've been lucky with the weather.  Went to London yesterday for interview with Michael Page and about to follow up on more jobs.  I have realised I need to rewrite my resume to align with the local market - use different terms / phrases to describe the same roles / functions.   Not looking forward to unpacking a whole sea container - flip side can't wait to get into our long term house with garden.  Not as big as Australia house but much bigger than the 2 bedroom mid terrace we're staying in now.  And so quiet in new house.  It's not far from Ferry Meadows in Peterborough - so we've got a beautiful location on our door step.

I do wish they had fly screens in England - would be easier to open windows with pets in the house.  Maybe I can launch a company and try and sell the benefits of flyscreens.  We do get flies and small midgees come in; so wouldn't go astray. 

Good luck

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got my URN in 1 hour and 10 mins after the email of ToR application was sent to nch.tor@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

I guess the HMRC ToR team has taken actions to improve the efficiency in processing applications. The approval email was sent from an officer from "Surge and Rapid Response Team (SRRT)"

Additionally, there is no automatic response after I have sent the documents. I was concerned about the size of my attachments being too big (close to but less than 6M), but it turned out to be fine. Also I've got all the documents ready (ToR application form and 10 supporting documents) and I'm not sure if that helps with the fast turnaround.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So. Fairly sure this process has aged me 20 years......

Read this thread, thank you everyone, scanned all my docs, filled in form, sent to email on form. Nothing back. Sent again to the alternative email on this thread. Nothing back. Realised I hadn’t written “live animals” in the subject line, so resent to both emails. Nothing back. Asked Chess removals, they provided a contact number. Rang the number, lady said not here, transferred me to man. Man said not him and TOR no longer take calls. Have to send an email enquiry. Sent email enquiry with no attachments to both emails. Got an automated response from both emails. Decided attachments must be too large. Rescanned all attachments at lowest dpi. Got email from man at hmrc saying send it directly to him. Sent to hmrc man. Number given within 1.5 hours.

Much relief. Many hours of my life I will not get back but tenacity is definitely required! ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

So. Fairly sure this process has aged me 20 years......

Read this thread, thank you everyone, scanned all my docs, filled in form, sent to email on form. Nothing back. Sent again to the alternative email on this thread. Nothing back. Realised I hadn’t written “live animals” in the subject line, so resent to both emails. Nothing back. Asked Chess removals, they provided a contact number. Rang the number, lady said not here, transferred me to man. Man said not him and TOR no longer take calls. Have to send an email enquiry. Sent email enquiry with no attachments to both emails. Got an automated response from both emails. Decided attachments must be too large. Rescanned all attachments at lowest dpi. Got email from man at hmrc saying send it directly to him. Sent to hmrc man. Number given within 1.5 hours.

Much relief. Many hours of my life I will not get back but tenacity is definitely required! ?

Now you can sit back and relax with a nice big glass of wine.  ?

• Like 2