UK Police Officer moving to Victoria

matt796

My partner is being sponsored on a 187 rsms visa for Geelong, VIC and I have been informed by three MARA agents that as the spouse I am able to work in Melbourne CBD if I wish - I assume this is correct.

I will be looking for work to do with crime and justice preferably with the Victoria Governemnt and wondered if anybody has any advice regarding applications etc?

many thanks 

Hi. I would happily consider this position, I was making a slight assumption that I may need to travel to the CBD if that's where the jobs were. Hopefully I will manage a successful application to something like the Sheriff's office or Police. 

Thank you for the link.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matt. We moved over to WA 18 months ago. We are on a 190 visa. I was the same as you but didn't want to join the police here.

Have a look at any jobs the government advertise for investigators. The job spec may ask for a cert IV in investigations but your uk police experience will be sufficient. I got a job for the dept of commerce, if it's the same in Victoria, look at the Dept for investigator roles in consumer protection and the building commission. Also, the dept of education standards and integrity sometimes  advertise for investigator roles.

i agree you may have to go the cbd for this kind of work as I did here but it may be different there.

Applying for civilian jobs in the Police is pretty hard as you normally need to have citizenship for security clearance yet you can probably join as an officer just with PR!

Good luck and let me know if you need anything further.

Edited by Cleowag

Matt, I take it from the topic heading that you are a serving police officer and so I reckon you ought to use your investigative skills and do some research.

If you wish to continue in the job in Victoria, here is your first clue,

https://www.policecareer.vic.gov.au/

The Victoria Police is about to launch into a big recruiting campaign and so now could be the right time.

You do not need Australian Citizenship but you do need permanent residence status.

Edited by IrishDigger
sentence correction
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I have spoken with VIC Police. They asked me to complete a slightly different application to have prior UK service recognised.

The only issue is they seem confused by the 187 PR visa and are not sure if they would hire me on it hence my questions about other investigation type jobs etc.

Thank you again 

2 minutes ago, matt796 said:

Thanks for the replies! I have spoken with VIC Police. They asked me to complete a slightly different application to have prior UK service recognised.

The only issue is they seem confused by the 187 PR visa and are not sure if they would hire me on it hence my questions about other investigation type jobs etc.

Thank you again 

Which means that the person you spoke to really didn't know, best way is to submit the application and let it go through the process.

Best wishes

• 2 months later...