Jobs for mature ( older) people

gafuk

Hi,

My wife and I are in our 60's and hoping to emigrate to Oz this year on a parent visa. We like to think we don't look or feel 60+ and both have a young outlook and are healthy and want to work. As well as Brexit smashing our pot of money with the collapse of the pound it seems Australia and especially Perth are on a bit of a downturn at the moment so I am wondering how hard it might be to find good permanent jobs. My wife has a retail and admin background and I have many years running my own retail business and management for a large retailer.

I will deliver pizzas or what ever if I have to and it's not just for the money as I think finding a job for myself and my wife will be crucial to how we settle in Australia and build a new network of friends etc.

Should we be optimistic or pessimistic ?

Edited by gafuk

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @gafuk is it Perth you are heading to?

One thing a lot of people seem to be doing is setting up their own business, obviously this has pros and cons but may be an option. I know on the East coast some establishments don't like hiring anyone over 18 as they have to pay a larger wage. Everyone seems to be penny pinching. I'm sure you will get something, the best way is to start working as a volunteer as over here it's not what you know but who.

Can't say it enough..CHILDCARE..if you can get the relevant paperwork/certificates together, you can look into running a family day care OR offering pick up and collect services for working parents, taking children to extracurricular activities - there's so much there that parents would like some help with.

This is something I do, as well as working in the industry. I just love it. :)

You can do volunteer work as Pom Queen said, and start networking your relevant skills. There are so many things that we are time poor with that to find someone who can help you move or pack or look after your pets..any of those things that you think, if only I could - hence airtasker etc.

Happy hunting..BEGal

• Like 1

Hello all, the are Australian employers who are open to hiring mature workers. The organisation (Life Insurance) I work for in Brisbane has a diversity policy and proactively employs older workers. Roles include Admin, Claims Managers, IT, change management, finance, payroll and customer service. Worth exploring employers advertising a diversity policy. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tuosist

We too are in a similar position to gafuk however, we only applied for our CPV a year ago, so unfortunately have a slightly longer wait. That said, I'm constantly looking at possible opportunities for when the move comes and I wonder if you think it would be worth me contacting your organisation just yet? We are both 50, but I guess we will be 52/53 when the visa comes, I currently work (last 5 years) in the consumer protection market in the UK, holding the position of Operations manager for the scheme and its insurance arm and specifically manage the complaints and claims departments. 

I'll do anything to be honest as we have no intention of becoming a burden to the Australian tax payer however, I really like what I do for a living and would love to continue in something along the same lines when we get to OZ . Are you able to share contact details of your organisation so that I could investigate future possibilities further?

Thanks in advance

Bryan

Honestly? Pessimistic.

Australia is very ageist and although you might find an employer who is willing to give an old codger a chance, the bulk of them won't give you a look once you are over 50 let alone over 60.  Not only is it inherently ageist it is a land of "who you know" nudge nudge, wink wink so if you have neither the age nor the network of connections you will probably struggle.  

• Like 3

Thanks Quoll.

At least if you know what you are up against you can prepare yourself.

I have a small network of friends and there have been suggestions they might be in a position to help.

I will remain positive but realiastic.

Thanks again.

Hello Bryan, yes I would be happy to share details of the organisation, note that it is Brisbane specific. Within the financial and insurance services sector there are a lot of opportunities if you hold the right work experience. Please feel free to PM me and I can provide details. Regards.