Getting a family visa

Hello sorry if this is not the right place to post. Me and my partner have lived together for yesrs on and off and we have 2 children together but we haven't lived together for the last couple of years but are still in a relationship. We are planning to imagrate to australia as a whole family where he will work and I won't as I have the children, we have money in the bank so not a problem, we both have skills we will do everything that is necessary before we go. Tge only thing is that the information I have found is that we need to provide proof that we have lived together for a least 12 months. Could we still move without that thanks for the reply in advance

Hello sorry if this is not the right place to post. Me and my partner have lived together for yesrs on and off and we have 2 children together but we haven't lived together for the last couple of years but are still in a relationship. We are planning to imagrate to australia as a whole family where he will work and I won't as I have the children, we have money in the bank so not a problem, we both have skills we will do everything that is necessary before we go. Tge only thing is that the information I have found is that we need to provide proof that we have lived together for a least 12 months. Could we still move without that thanks for the reply in advance

no such thing as a "family visa"

Firstly, unless one of you is an Australian perm resident or citizen you need a skills visa. so the first thing you need to do is identify if one of you has a skill on the SOL or CSOL list, and make sure you can pass the skills assessment.

If one of you qualifies on skills grounds then the other can come as their dependent, as do the children. But you will need to document the history of your relationship and if you live apart you will need very good reasons for doing so - even with children.

no such thing as a "family visa"

Firstly, unless one of you is an Australian perm resident or citizen you need a skills visa. so the first thing you need to do is identify if one of you has a skill on the SOL or CSOL list, and make sure you can pass the skills assessment.

If one of you qualifies on skills grounds then the other can come as their dependent, as do the children. But you will need to document the history of your relationship and if you live apart you will need very good reasons for doing so - even with children.

Thank ypu for the reply and yeah we both have skills on the sol list but only he would be working and no we don't live together but have in the past we don't really have a reason for it we just stopped years ago because of work really but then never moved back in together just said at each others house. Would we need to live together in the UK for a year before we could go and I ment if he had a visa and then there is a section where you can add your family on to it. Thanks again

Thank ypu for the reply and yeah we both have skills on the sol list but only he would be working and no we don't live together but have in the past we don't really have a reason for it we just stopped years ago because of work really but then never moved back in together just said at each others house. Would we need to live together in the UK for a year before we could go and I ment if he had a visa and then there is a section where you can add your family on to it. Thanks again

You may well have a problem, as on paper it looks like you are not a couple, you just happen to have had children together. Speak to a migration agent as your case is not as straight forward as others.

Also, a migration agent can tell you if you if your skills and experience are enough to fulfill strict visa requirements.

It doesn't sound like you are in a genuine relationship as defined by immigration. You may be 'seeing' each other but with children together it would sound to most that you are separated as I can't imagine many would chose to live apart from their family out of choice. I don't know your jobs but you state you stopped living together years ago due to work so how will that work if he is going to remain in the same type of work? You also said something odd in your original post when you said he would be working but you wouldn't as you have the children. You didn't say you would be a stay at home mum or you would be at home with the children, you said you have the children (sounds like your current arrangements would continue in Australia ie. 'you have the children'). It reads to me that you are asking how you can get around the requirements of the visa and even suggesting marriage if that would help. If you have chosen for years not to live together, particularly as you have children then maybe marriage wouldn't be the right move at the moment? Maybe best to commit to an actual defacto relationship for the next year or so and then look at moving.

As as has been said, a migrant agent would be your best bet.

Definitely speak to a migration agent. Even for de facto and spouse visas, you have to prove you're a genuine couple and living together for at least 12 months prior to application. Even if you got married, they would need to know your relationship is genuine and continuing. Having children together doesn't add up in this case, they'd want more evidence, joint bills etc.

Definitely speak to a migration agent, even ask one of them on here to check.

• 2 weeks later...

As it appears you are after a skilled migration visa I've moved your thread to our skilled migration visa section. 

As as has been suggested, you really need to see first if either of you have a profession that is on the list. If you don't then your options are probably slim to nil. Once you know if you qualify then you can research the requirements for a partner and dependants to go on the same application.

I'd strongly suggest you consult a migration agent to run your case past them as your living situation is not a usual one and could perhaps be a real stumbling block.