Ship all or minimal

Pixie77

Shipping. Has anyone sold most stuff + just gone with basics & a move cube? Just wondered whether it's worth shipping white goods as we will be renting initially & seems a lot of properties include these. Also they're quite cheap in uk. Also some of our furniture is basic Ikea... not sure if worth shipping. Just not sure how sensible it is or should we just take the lot & then we're sorted? will take beds possibly sofa & chairs &few boxes of household stuff. Hmm

• Like 1

Yes, we shipped minimal, just under two years ago. It was still a fair amount of stuff though!

Bedding - took new / good condition stuff and threw the rest out. Fitted sheets don't fit exactly on Oz mattresses (a bit tight) but not an issue. Replaced pillows on arrival and haven't used a duvet since being here!

Kitchen - brought our cutlery, some utensils like good knives and other small items. Also brought some mugs of sentimental value.

- Didn't bring ovenware

- Didn't bring crockery or pots and pans (our were all cheap so no lost value).

- Didn't bring toaster, kettle, sandwich maker - have replaced all.

- Replaced all crockery with plain white range from Ikea and Kmart and in the process of slowly upgrading to nicer pots and pans etc, as and when funds are available.

Books, CDs, personal items etc...

Pictures in frames - purchased a TV shipping box and packed them in that.

Tools - brought domestic tool boxes over.

Clothing - took most in a two big suitcases and other items like handbag collection and shoes, went in Movecube.

Jewellery - had my box at the bottom of my large carry on bag for the flights over.

DVD player, amp, shredder, mini hifi, speakers, laptop, other small electronics...

- Carried laptop with me on flights and OH put his desktop in Movecube.

- Didn't bring TV.

Didn't bring white goods - as we were renting in UK so didn't own any of it.

Didn't bring any furniture - apart from a two person dining table, that completely flat packed down. Wish we had brought our very expensive super king bed frame and mattress but hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Summary: we made the right decision on most stuff, but there are few small items we could have fitted in (+ aforementioned mattress & bed), and I still find myself looking for them, convinced we DID bring them, nearly two years later. But nothing of any regret!

Also we arrived and stayed with relatives until we got our own place, so didn't anything apart from clothes, immediately.

Edited by vickyplum

We did and it worked well for us. Used a Movecube and shipped personal effects, all my kitchen stuff, pots, pans, crockery etc down to the garlic press. Kids toys, books, DVDs etc. Bedding and towels. Ornaments and pictures we wanted to keep.

Furniture we shipped our bed, a small desk, one chair, a blanket box 2 sets of drawers. Plus a bike or two and a set of golf clubs.

Everything else we sold, donated or recycled including white goods, sofas, table and chairs and other beds.

Once here we used Guntree and FB buy and sell groups to start us off and once we bought a house we slowly bought furniture that suited it. Plus kept the stuff we already had gotten here. We made do with crockery from IKEA or picnic stuff to tide us over, same with lots and pans etc, we just got basics and it was fine til the good stuff arrived in our cube.

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking a bed and sofa plus all my books, kitchen stuff and a very large shoe collection... No white goods as they are too old. No TV either as that blew up in the recent storms, I will not miss the extreme weather here.  I am shipping in a shared container and was pleasantly surprised at how cheap it is; going by other posts similar costs to a move cube. So my advice is get quotes for both as a shipping company will be less hassle.