Peregian springs/sunshine coast area

ayda

hello

Very early stages of considering a move to Queensland, like the look of the Peregian Beach area but have a few newbie questions please.

What are the year round temps like around Noosa generally? Web sites seem to say average between 20-28 degrees but I suspect they may be higher? Humidity?

Daylight hours - no daylight saving so dark nights. Does it get dark immediately or does light linger? Wondering how they work around things like Nipper evenings with surf club which we would like to continue. Dark and warm doesn't bother me as much as dark and cold but just thinking through the practicalities.

Peregian Springs - are there any up to date members familiar with the area? We would prefer a small modern rental which seem more available in Peregian Springs than the village as it is a newish estate. however, we live opposite a beach currently so wouldn't want too much of a hike or drive to a beach really.

I'm sure there will be lots of more important questions to ask but these are the things I am pondering at the moment and would be grateful for any thoughts.

Edited by ayda

Hello, not really looking for a comparison from others, more some local knowledge with regard to the area. We are currently in the UK. I mentioned nippers as we could continue with our other existing outdoor hobbies even if dark but just crossed my mind how Queenslanders get around ocean based stuff if it is dark so early. It may be as simple as sessions are just run earlier eg. straight from school but that's the kind of info you can only really glean from local knowledge.

Edited by ayda

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

We're looking at moving to the sunshine coast early 2018. I'm an aussie by birth but it's been so long since I've lived in Australia that I have no idea what's what.  I follow the real estate columns avidly, but they don't tell you which are the good areas and the not so good areas so some helpful advice on that would be appreciated. I know Buderim is pretty good, but it's also pricey now. So we're looking at Coolum and Peregian for the beaches but also out Nambour, Yandina way for the hinterland. We've got 2 nippers ( 2 and 3) so schools is a priority. Work wise, I'm a social worker for the elderly and the wife is a marine ecologist so she's into research and science etc. I know there wont be an issue for me finding work, but am wondering about the wife. So again, any ideas would be appreciated there as well.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

We are moving to Noosaville in the middle of August, we are currently in the UK. 

Our house sold last week and we will be flying on the 11th August. We are staying with family first, then looking to buy in Tewantin. 

We have 2 kids, 12 and 9

They will start school In September. 

We can't wait 

• Like 1

I've been on the Sunshine Coast for around a year now.  It was apparently hot and dry this summer so I can only base my experience on that - low/mid 30's most days, humidity was ok.  I really found with aircon it's easy enough to escape the heat/humidity if you want to.  I think it could be uncomfortable if you have an outside job and you have to be out.

Darkness - it really does get completely dark quickly and early.  Queenslanders seem to be morning people, so loads of activities (including nippers) start at 7am.  Schools do a lot of their activities before the school day.  People tend to go out and eat early (6pm) and go to bed 9/9.30pm.  It does get light early  so you just have to shift everything earlier.

Perigian Springs is nice but if you want walk to beach it will be expensive (you would need to be in Perigian Beach).  It would definitely be a drive from PS, BUT there really is very little traffic and you can always get a parking space at the beach for free.  PS is popular and has lots of international families, they seem to be nice properties and good value for Sunshine Coast. 

If there is anything else I'd be happy to help.

• Like 1

Thanks that's very helpful! Where on the sunshine coast are you? I thought Peregian springs may be a drive to the beach, but guessing it isnt too much of a drive so not too much of a sacrifice hopefully! 

I've lived on the Sunny Coast for over 2 years now. Weather is great, 30+ in the summer, humidity is bad for about a week. Chances of a storm are highly likely, summer is rainy season so that figures. 

I would outside for a living, not too bad once you're used to it. 

Adding onto BlueKangaroo, I now get up at 5:30 every morning and am asleep by 9:30. The sooner we get day light savings in Queensland the better. North Queenslanders aren't keen.... Lets slip the state! 

Peregian Springs is nice but the wrong side of the motorway. Peregian Beach is the go if you're wanting to be further north. Peregian Springs is very much like Brightwater, shops and cafes etc but you're closer to everything, can cycle to the beach easily BUT you're going to have to live with a neighbour 6ft away from your house... However all the houses there are new and are pretty swanky. 

Bli Bli is also nice. People bag out Nambour but it's actually alright, the houses are cheap and everything is there, but it's a trek from everything. 

Mooloolaba is the place to be...... Just saying. 

Any questions @ayda?

Ha Ha I agree with you @Jack91  Mooloolaba would be one of my choices too.  I'm currently renting in Mudjimba which I love (can walk to the beach :-)) but they are building a new runway at the airport soon which means we will be on the flightpath/approach, so we'll move to another neighbourhood in due course.  We'll probably stay mid coast as kids are at school in Buderim although school bus services run right from Noosa and Caloundra so could potentially end up anywhere. 

@richierich I don't knwo anyone in Coolum, but I read somewhere that its had the highest crime rate on the coast (along with Nambour), but to be fair crime here does not seem to be on a par with the part of UK I left at least!  I don't really know Yandina, but it looks nice.  If you are interested in the Hinterland: Montville and Maleny are beautiful little communities.

Hi, I am an Aussie but used to live in Peregian Springs or "little Britain" as my pommie friends call it! The springs is a lovely place to live. Great schools, great community and very neat and clean. It is a housing estate though and as such the blocks are small and the houses generally large. There are quite a few parks though and lots of walking paths. Peregian Beach and Coolum Beach are a 5 minute drive away and crossing the freeway is no problem at all. There is a foot bridge that takes you to Coolum and it is an easy walk/cycle. Nippers is generally held on a weekend morning and I believe the best nippers group is run by Noosa surf club at Main Beach.

Peregian Springs has a community facebook page that I suggest you join. The members are full of info and are really welcoming. It will give you some insight into the area and the community.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. I do like the look of Peregian springs but then have 2nd thoughts about moving 'inland'! Love just popping across the road for a surf or swim as we do spring and summer evenings here....but then forget the long winter months when we don't! I think I'm overthinking things ?.

We have a very sociable 5 year old and imagine that the Springs would be good for families.

Thanks for this Facebook info but I'm not on it ?

Great to find this thread!

We are also planning on moving to PS from the UK next year.

I travelled extensively around Australia in the 80’s and I always said Sunshine Coast would be the best place to live. It has the best climate (hot, but not too hot) and the sub-tropic landscape and environment is stunning.

There is that feeling of open space and freedom, but with most of the conveniences and necessities for modern life.

We have been back three times in the last two years. The first time was a holiday with just a vague possibility of living there. Then two further fact-finding trips, looking at different areas suitable for our relocation.

We just loved the feel of PS immediately, I appreciate it’s not for everyone, but it ticks most of our boxes for our budget. When you compare hose prices with the UK or else ware in Oz, you get so much more for you $’s (like a pool and lots of room for guests)

I agree the beach really needs a car trip (5 mins) but it’s a fantastic beach and dog friendly too. Noosa is just 15 min and the airport 20 min.

Our kids are now starting their own families, but what we have seen with the nippers at the surf club, it looks like a really good place for all age groups.

Speaking to locals, I believe the main problems seam to be around work and finding well paid jobs. There has been news of big improvements to the infrastructure this budget, so I think a commute to Brisbane may be an option for some.

The Facebook info is very useful.

• Like 1

Best of luck with your move noosamick.

I also have to bear in mind that we may not even get our visas. We had PR before when things were more straightforward so keep forgetting that a points score doesn't necessarily equal a visa! Have just submitted EOI and if successful then need to look for work and investigate the validity of my husband's business continuing from Australia. So we are a long way yet!

Edited by ayda

I'm an allied health professional so would be ideal if a job came up in the new hospital, otherwise I would look in the private sector. My husband has a web design company that would hope to continue.