UK unemployment rate

bristolman

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tell me what I have and haven't done, you are barely able to keep your story straight from one day to the next so you are in no position to be saying things like this. It is very clear that the vast majority do NOT hate ZHCs.
90% OF THE STAFF I WORK WITH ARE ON ZERO HOURS, WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFORMATION FROM? THE DAILY FAIL I PRESUME..:biglaugh:

Don't tell me what I have and haven't done, you are barely able to keep your story straight from one day to the next so you are in no position to be saying things like this. It is very clear that the vast majority do NOT hate ZHCs.

My experience in the east midlands is similar to Perthbum experience.

I know about 30 peaple on zero hour contracts.

29 of them ether hate zero hours contracts or are resigned to the fact this is all they can get.

One of them was ok with zero hour contracts and that was because he had a PHD in Maths

And was applying for jobs in the city of London.

In my experience that works out at a little over 3% who like zero hour contracts.

Edited by Life on easy street
spelling mistake

My observations from the real world.

Most of my working career at companies through the 80’s, 90’s if you worked for a

Company and were good at your job after 12 weeks you were offered a permanent contract

Did not matter if you were a production worker or a skilled engineer If not you were shown the door out.

(An unwritten code of conduct between the owners of capital and workers that most decent companies would follow).

This has changed in the last decade the companies I have worked for go out of their

Way to avoid giving people full time permanent contracts adopting the sports direct business model of zero hour contracts.

Ask a private company for any meaningful training any one would think the cost of the training was taken direct from the manager’s wages!

Since 2008 all the risks and costs of capitalism have been pushed onto the workers and the taxpayers.

When I was on zero hour contracts my monthly wage varied from £1100 down £170!

On one occasion I had two weeks with zero pounds!!

This is one reason why people end up using food banks they are in NO-MANS LAND between paid work and the benefits system.

Not ticking all the right boxes to claim benefits but also not getting enough paid hours to

Pay basic living costs.

¬My observations of zero hour contracts.

I have heard most the augments from the apologists for zero hour contracts.

People choose to work zero hour contracts as the like the flexibility to work around family life etc.

The vast majority of people I have spoken to who are on zero hour contracts would prefer

Full time or at least fixed guaranteed number of hours.

People have the flexibility to work the hours they choose.

If a person is not available 24/7 for work when the agency want them

They sulk and you find there is no work for you for a few days or weeks!

The flexibility is all on the employer’s/ agency side willing to drop any worker at any time they choose for no other reason that they can!

All zero hour contracts are the same and provide people with the opportunity to learn valuable skills

At different companies.

This is at best half true but only in industry requiring skilled, semi-skilled workers.

Stacking shelfs, warehouse operative are not skilled jobs!

A zero hour contract working and learning valuable skills for a high tech company that could one day be the next Google or apple.

Or a zero hour contract engineer / health care professional with decades of experience earning £30-£50 per hour.

IS NOT the same as a zero hour contract at minimum wage £7.20 per hour doing an unskilled job stacking shelfs etc. at a company that perhaps only one in a thousand will ever be get the opportunity to progress to a well-paid full time job?

Unfortunately it is the low skilled minimum wage jobs that are seeing the dramatic rise in zero hour contracts

¬My observations of zero hour contracts.

I have heard most the augments from the apologists for zero hour contracts.

People choose to work zero hour contracts as the like the flexibility to work around family life etc.

The vast majority of people I have spoken to who are on zero hour contracts would prefer

Full time or at least fixed guaranteed number of hours.

People have the flexibility to work the hours they choose.

If a person is not available 24/7 for work when the agency want them

They sulk and you find there is no work for you for a few days or weeks!

The flexibility is all on the employer’s/ agency side willing to drop any worker at any time they choose for no other reason that they can!

All zero hour contracts are the same and provide people with the opportunity to learn valuable skills

At different companies.

This is at best half true but only in industry requiring skilled, semi-skilled workers.

Stacking shelfs, warehouse operative are not skilled jobs!

A zero hour contract working and learning valuable skills for a high tech company that could one day be the next Google or apple.

Or a zero hour contract engineer / health care professional with decades of experience earning £30-£50 per hour.

IS NOT the same as a zero hour contract at minimum wage £7.20 per hour doing an unskilled job stacking shelfs etc. at a company that perhaps only one in a thousand will ever be get the opportunity to progress to a well-paid full time job?

Unfortunately it is the low skilled minimum wage jobs that are seeing the dramatic rise in zero hour contracts

£7.20 if you are lucky, most of the ones we employ are under 20 so it is a shocking £5,50 a few are younger and are on £4, it sometimes costs more to get to work in transport costs than what they earn

My observations from the real world.

Most of my working career at companies through the 80’s, 90’s if you worked for a

Company and were good at your job after 12 weeks you were offered a permanent contract

Did not matter if you were a production worker or a skilled engineer If not you were shown the door out.

(An unwritten code of conduct between the owners of capital and workers that most decent companies would follow).

This has changed in the last decade the companies I have worked for go out of their

Way to avoid giving people full time permanent contracts adopting the sports direct business model of zero hour contracts.

Ask a private company for any meaningful training any one would think the cost of the training was taken direct from the manager’s wages!

Since 2008 all the risks and costs of capitalism have been pushed onto the workers and the taxpayers.

When I was on zero hour contracts my monthly wage varied from £1100 down £170!

On one occasion I had two weeks with zero pounds!!

This is one reason why people end up using food banks they are in NO-MANS LAND between paid work and the benefits system.

Not ticking all the right boxes to claim benefits but also not getting enough paid hours to

Pay basic living costs.

A very big like.

Especially relevant was your comments on training.

@Life on easy street

Post #82 :frown:

Post #83 :frown: :mad:

Post #84 :frown: :mad: :realmad:

and a "like' for each of your posts. T x

Ditto this. An excellent series of posts.

Much as I hated the overtly politicised Trades Unions their relative demise has shifted the balance too far.

Ditto this. An excellent series of posts.

Much as I hated the overtly politicised Trades Unions their relative demise has shifted the balance too far.

trade unions were a god send for the opressed worker with no rights atall,without the rise of the trade unions your working conditions would be non existent...remember that

The UK unemployment rate currently stands at just 4.7%, the lowest in 40 years.

Iam with you on that Bristol , but how many of these jobs created are PROPER jobs ...like the old days , proper jobs , with a contract , so you can build a future ?

The same is going on across the western world .

That's why iam pleased about brexit .

Being able to run your own affairs ,as a smaller chunk ,may just be the answer to globalisation .

Exploiting workers and moving them between countries ,under the smokescreen of " freedom of movement "

Ultimately Scotland may benefit from independence, look at norway , a real small chunk ...but so will England .

We have London for a start .

Iam with you on that Bristol , but how many of these jobs created are PROPER jobs ...like the old days , proper jobs , with a contract , so you can build a future ?

Being able to run your own affairs ,as a smaller chunk ,may just be the answer to globalisation .

Exploiting workers and moving them between countries ,under the smokescreen of " freedom of movement "

Ultimately Scotland may benefit from independence, look at norway , a real small chunk ...but so will England .

Zero hours contracts are not about freedom , they are about EXPLOITATION .

You create an excess of workforce , then you take away their rights for ever increasing profit .

The e.u has facilitated that .

You create an excess of workforce , then you take away their rights for ever increasing profit .

you need to stop blaming everything on the EU, because in two years time, you may be forced to start blaming yourself.

Your reality check is going to be a real choker.

That's the thing though for many ZHCs are about freedom and that is why many, not all, like them.

That's the thing though for many ZHCs are about freedom and that is why many, not all, like them.
They are not about freedom, you do not get set hours or set days, you work when they need you, its mot a lovely 10 till 2 every day, its 6 till 10 one day 4 till 8 the next on different days and mostly weekends as that is the busiest time....we have a young lad on pot wash on £4 an hour who has to get a taxi to the pub I used to work at that cost him 12 return, on one shift he was sent home after an hour so was out of pocket of £8, this happens all the time and is disgusting, pubs and restaurant brands dont give a flying ****

Your reality check is going to be a real choker.
You don't get it. It will be because Europe didn't let us leave the way we wanted to leave. Or the Tories mucked up our leave and gave into the EU. Or if we had been able to leave earlier. Or they rushed the leave. Or they took to much time over us leaving. Or we haven't really left - you call that leaving. Or we weren't meant to leave like that. Or the EU have turned the world against us - you could go on forever. They probably will.

I'm on a zero contract, have been for years, but it suits me. It's been convenient for planning events, holidays, while I was studying and when I go to uni I'll have the flexibility of picking and choosing my hours. It's not ideal long term but at the moment it suits my lifestyle. I'm not on minimum wage either.

You don't get it. It will be because Europe didn't let us leave the way we wanted to leave. Or the Tories mucked up our leave and gave into the EU. Or if we had been able to leave earlier. Or they rushed the leave. Or they took to much time over us leaving. Or we haven't really left - you call that leaving. Or we weren't meant to leave like that. Or the EU have turned the world against us - you could go on forever. They probably will.

So true. Or we had been in the EU too long and saddled with their institutions and people already let in. Some other global event(s) caused us issues. Or it would have been even worse if the UK had stayed in.

Everything that goes wrong will continue to be the fault of the EU long after leaving much as Trump blames Obama for failed raids on Yemen, the travel ban, leaks etc even though it is now his watch.