UK unemployment rate

bristolman

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you complete that sentence, and enlighten us about whether the number of people on zero hour contracts have increased or decreased.

How is that completing the sentence ? I think they have increased along with full time and part time positions. Of course zero hour contracts only account for a few % of jobs, I'm not sure if that suits your agenda, I mean point of view.

How is that completing the sentence ? I think they have increased along with full time and part time positions. Of course zero hour contracts only account for a few % of jobs, I'm not sure if that suits your agenda, I mean point of view.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/15/uk-unemployment-rate-falls-joint-lowest-1975-wages-stall

If you're gonna post information, post a balanced view, and let the reader make their own informed judgement.

Not just information "that suits your agenda, I mean point of view."

that's sounds like a good statistic on the face of it but more and more people are working part-time and on zero hours contracts a good friend of mine was working at sports direct due to his mother been taken ill and they advertise shifts in a WhatsApp group chat whoever responds first gets the work there is stability in working like that plus the banks Stop correcting don't want to know you.

that's sounds like a good statistic on the face of it but more and more people are working part-time and on zero hours contracts a good friend of mine was working at sports direct due to his mother been taken ill and they advertise shifts in a WhatsApp group chat whoever responds first gets the work there is stability in working like that plus the banks Stop correcting don't want to know you.

Yes zero hour contracts suit some people but not others but they only account for a small % of workers. My wife works part time and that suits her well but yes it is a good statistic.

My wife works part time and that suits her well.

Is she on a zero hour contract? Or is she on a permanent part time contract I wonder.

Is she entitled annual leave?

Is she entitled carer's leave?

Is she entitled sick leave?

Has she been offered a work place pension?

Is she on a zero hour contract? Or is she on a permanent part time contract I wonder.

Is she entitled annual leave?

Is she entitled carer's leave?

Is she entitled sick leave?

Has she been offered a work place pension?

Well wonder no more, she is permanent part time and has all those benefits, not sure about carers leave, that isn't something I have heard of.

The UK unemployment rate currently stands at just 4.7%, the lowest in 40 years.

Correction.

The UK unemployment RECORDED rate currently stands at just 4.7%, the lowest in 40 years.

Unfortunately the RECORDED unemployment rate does not match the real level of unemployment.

If it did then the number of zero hour contracts would be declining and not increasing by 100k to 900k!

Employers would not be able to get away with offering zero hour contracts as the only option for Employment at 4.7% unemplyment.

The pay rate for all advertised jobs would be increasing not declining.

The tax credit bill, housing benefit bill would also be declining.

Something does not add up.

There you go. Part time employment is not a zero hour contract.

Oh and i bet she doesn't even have to constantly check her workplace's WhatsApp group to find out where her next meal is going to come from.

Who said part time work was a zero hour contract ? The post I replied to mentioned both. As I said zero hour contracts suit many and unfortunately not others.

Hello Mr/Ms Company, I would very much love to take up your job offer, as I find the fact that you won't offer me carer's/sick/bereavement/annual leave, or any pension, or any scope to move up the ladder, or any job security - thus no chance of getting a mortgage, suit me down to the ground.

When I was leaving school in the 1970s we were reliably told that automation would lead to increased leisure time for all, people would retire at 50 and full-time jobs would be an anachronism. Since then the working population has boomed, people work to an older age and many work longer hours.

The beneficiaries of automation were the wealthy I guess who have siphoned up all the economic gains leaving the rest as wage slaves into old age.

What part of that article suits your agenda?

I have my own personal agenda, which dictates how I live my life. However, there is an OCD aspect of my personality that compels my thumbs to type counter arguments in instances where it feels the picture painted is being grossly skewed.

a big problem is that banks look at zero hour contracts employees as too risky to give loans for things such as cars and when applying for a mortgage the zero hour contract wage cannot be taken into account due. maybe some people may find this acceptable and if that fits there lifestyle great but the thing I don't like is big companies are abusing workers and laying off full time staff to recruit for these positions and driving down the quality of living in the UK.

The way I see it is if you are one of those who don't like how zero hour contracts work then look for a permanent job, unless you are almost unemployable there are jobs out there. Given the numbers on zero hour contracts it's hardly going to drag down the standard of living as 97% of working people DON'T work zero hours.

Edited by bristolman

I have my own personal agenda, which dictates how I live my life. However, there is an OCD aspect of my personality that compels my thumbs to type counter arguments in instances where it feels the picture painted is being grossly skewed.

You type with your thumbs, now that's just weird lol

a big problem is that banks look at zero hour contracts employees as too risky to give loans for things such as cars and when applying for a mortgage the zero hour contract wage cannot be taken into account due. maybe some people may find this acceptable and if that fits there lifestyle great but the thing I don't like is big companies are abusing workers and laying off full time staff to recruit for these positions and driving down the quality of living in the UK.
The vast majority don't want zero hour contracts, they cannot get a mortgage and do not know if they have enough money to last the the week. I know as I decide whether to send them home after an hour at work as it is a quiet shift, I try to keep them on doing odd jobs but most managers dont care and send them home.