VISA advice to move to live/work in Aus

josielondon

Hi,

I am looking for some advice as to what visa would be the most sensible for me to get.

- I am hoping to move to Australia (Melbourne) in approx. September 2018

- I have been living with my Australian partner for 9 months

- I want to be able to work in Australia when I get there. I am currently a Digital Account Manager with 4.5 years work experience in marketing.

So as I see it, my options are:

1. De facto spouse visa which I can apply for once we have been together for 12 months which will be in June... I'm a bit put off by this one, firstly because it is insanely expensive and I don't really see how I will get £4k together by June assuming you have to pay for the visa when you submit your application (anyone know different to this?) Also we will then have to submit proof of our relationship which is doable but I imagine difficult, then it seems to take 12-18 months so even assuming everything is fine when we submit in June, t still may not be ready in time for September 2018.

2. Skilled work visa - I can't work out if I would be eligible for this. I was considering submitting an EOI but the problem then is that once you get interest you have to submit your application within 60 days and I have no idea/can't work out from the website how long this is likely to take and if I submitted one now if that would be way way too early to actually get it.

3. Working holiday visa - major downsides of this being it only covers you for a year and you can only work in one place for up to 6 months which would make things difficult career wise. And once I'm over there we'd end up having to apply for one of the above two anyway!

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Thanks

Josie

1. Yes expensive and yes you pay at the time of submitting

2. Have you checked if your occupation is eligible? If it is, then you would need to undertake a skills assessment before lodging an EOI and if you have included points for English language then undertake a test such as ILETS prior to the EOI. A skilled visa, once granted, gives 12 months from the date of medical or police check to make first entry.

3. Correct and visa prices are likely to increase

Yes spouse visa is expensive but is two in one from what I understand initially in your circumstances a temporary visa would be issued which would allow you to work then in two years time you update the immiaccount and apply for a permanent visa I don't think there is any more fees to pay. (I don't know this for sure but that's what I understand happens) as for applying for this visa the key evidence is likely to be a joint bank account named on each others car insurance and each others wills. Also 888 forms from a number of people.

Another option to get to Oz sooner is to go the years working holiday do similar actions - set up joint bank accounts etc. Then apply for onshore de facto visa which is more expensive again than applying off shore and takes longer to process but in meantime apply for a bridging visa.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes spouse visa is expensive but is two in one from what I understand initially in your circumstances a temporary visa would be issued which would allow you to work then in two years time you update the immiaccount and apply for a permanent visa I don't think there is any more fees to pay. (I don't know this for sure but that's what I understand happens) as for applying for this visa the key evidence is likely to be a joint bank account named on each others car insurance and each others wills. Also 888 forms from a number of people.

Another option to get to Oz sooner is to go the years working holiday do similar actions - set up joint bank accounts etc. Then apply for onshore de facto visa which is more expensive again than applying off shore and takes longer to process but in meantime apply for a bridging visa.

Ok so one possible option might be to get a working holiday for 6months, while on that apply for a partner visa and then get a bridging visa in between?Would I be allowed to work for a company for more than 6 months if I switched to bridging visa after 6 months?

Edited by josielondon

You apply for the bridging visa after the submitting the spouse visa it allows you to continue to live and work in Australia while the authorities process / decide on the outcome of your spouse de facto visa. The only thing I can suggest about weather a company will employ you more than 6 months is explained the visa situation on your cover letter when applying for the job.

You apply for the bridging visa after the submitting the spouse visa it allows you to continue to live and work in Australia while the authorities process / decide on the outcome of your spouse de facto visa. The only thing I can suggest about weather a company will employ you more than 6 months is explained the visa situation on your cover letter when applying for the job.

The bridging visa comes into play when the WHV expires. Until then you would be bound by the terms of the WHV.

The 189/190 is not that much cheaper, after all the skills assessments/Council registration, notarised copies, international postage/duplicate university paperwork expenses are taken into account. Not to mention the time it takes to gather all of this information. We have spent around the £6K mark so far (including visa fees) for my spouse and I. Medicals have yet to be paid for. HTH.