register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest mark5578

carpentry practical hip roof

Guest mark5578

When building the hip roof on the carpentry practical is the ridge already set for you and you have to install the common rafters ,hips and jacks or do they just give you the pitch of the roof and you have to do all the calculations yourself from scratch?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I did the carpentry practical in April - you set the wall plate out on a sheet of ply - then pitch the roof on it - the pitch we were given was 30 degrees - from which I recall the ridge height was around 712mm but please check for yourself before you go - they also give you the centers for the rafters - they will and did measure the height of the ridge and the centers of the rafters - the timber supplied was all the same section - 75mm x 25mm from what I can remember - I would suggest screwing it together ( take battery drill/screwdiver ) rather than the traditional nailing - when I was there the quality of the timber was crap and the sheet of ply was bowed all over the place - so don`t worry if the timber you are given is similar - they are very helpful and my impression was that they want you to pass - if you need any other pointers please let me know

Guest mark5578

Hi Sdy,

Thanks for your reply it has been very helpfull. Its nice to have some sort of idea of what to expect before i get there. Just one question though, was the ply 2400x1200mm because that would give me a ridge hight of somewhere in the region of 350mm (havn't actually worked it out properly but its close to that) for a 30 degree roof. Please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks again.

Mark

Hi Mark , it was all a bit chaotic - I think it was the first of the larger groups ( although December being the first batch of practicals) the reason we were given a sheet of ply was they we were not in a carpentry shop and the sheet of ply was placed on 2 saw stalls and then fixed down - I am not certain you are correct with the top of the ridge - I can remember them giving us a figure of somewhere around 590mm rise per metre run - half a sheet being 1.2m - therefore 1.2m times the run per metre - I do apologise if I sound as though I am teaching you to suck eggs - it is not intended - there again I could be wrong - also remember when you mark the line for 1.2m down the side ( not hip end) it is the centerline so the position of the end of the ridge and first common needs to be adjusted by half the thickness of the ridge - I made this mistake but corrected it

while I am on the subject - the other practicals were to make a saw stall - they give you all the details - they are very particular about the finished height - I would leave the legs long and then cut to height when assembled - use the timber gussets to spread the legs ( oooh eeer missis )

using power tools - they also ask you to prepare a length of timber - face side and face edge - they will check this will a square - then rip it down the middle using a power saw - they provided all the power tools for us to use

then grind and sharpen a chisel - he asked me to sharpen it a little more ( cheeky f**k) but I just smiled and said `certainly`

finally there was the setting out of a a stud partion - they give you a drawing and you mark out where the timbers should go

regards the questions they pulled me out the practicals about 4 times during the day - the questions are quite simple about 20 at a time - and this may throw you first because they are so simple - again very helpfully in guiding you to the correct answer - one thing I would say in look at timber frame construction - cladding roof trusses ect - also health and safety - services in ground and wet weather

finally and I am sorry this is so long - but it is not a race - take your time (I was the last to leave) and take time to check out what other people are doing - it not cheating but using your commom sense - a couple on the day I was doing it bolted thinking they were being clever and got it wrong!

anyway good luck and I am sure you will pass - stuart

hurrah and hussar - onwards and upwards

Guest mark5578

cheers mate, this hepls a lot.

Mark

Mark, now you`ve got me thinking - there was one more thing - during the setting out of the stud at the end of the day - they gave you a drawing of a scaffold - we had to name - I think it was 12 components - transom, standard , lift , bay , diagonal brace ect - so spend a little time before you go to refresh your memory - where you hoping to go is Oz?

Guest Rickard Family

I was fine, until reading SDY long list for the test. most of my work has been joinery for about 14 years. The last 4 have been spent doing up houses, fitting kitchens, windows, doors. So my agent put me through as a chippy, fine i thought, then all i read is roofs. Is that fair to judge someone on a roof, i can do almost anything else, i havent done a hip roof for about 16 years in my skills test. How fussy are they. As for regs, health and safety, ive been self employed for 10 years on my own. So i just cover my own backside, looks like i got a lot of reading to catch up with. Bit worried now,the journey there was daunting enough.:err:

Clint, I know what you are saying regards roofs - I have been self employed since 1982 and have not been near a roof in many , many, in fact far too many years to remember! - regards health and safety - it`s all common sense - such as not having cables trailing through water on a site when it has - that sort of thing - not quoting regs - remember they are Aussie not Brits so the rega are different anyway - ironically, the College of North West London ( or Willesden Tech) is where I did my apprenticeship - I had to go to Accrington!!

Guest mark5578
Mark, now you`ve got me thinking - there was one more thing - during the setting out of the stud at the end of the day - they gave you a drawing of a scaffold - we had to name - I think it was 12 components - transom, standard , lift , bay , diagonal brace ect - so spend a little time before you go to refresh your memory - where you hoping to go is Oz?

Hopefully in or around Perth, Freemantle maybe. Not 100% sure yet. I'm trying not to get too carried away with final decisions until things become a bit more definate. We are looking at April 2009 but obviously depends on visa. What about you?

Mark

Funny enough we are hoping to go to WA - we have family and Ozzie friends in Perth and Margaret River

stuart

Guest mark5578

Stuart,

I see where you are coming from now with your 712mm. I based my calculation on the run being 600mm. thats where my 350mm estimate came from.(i thought you were using just 1 sheet of ply.) Sorry to go on about this I just like things to be clear in my head.

Guest Rickard Family

Scaffold as well! I wont sleep tonight. Why scaffold, how many chippies do scaffolding, i thought you had to hold a certificate. (scaff tag ! ) Ive always thought i was bit of a clever clogs, never failed anything, not now!:goofy:

Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi SDY,

Have just read your posts on this roof for OH.

He is one of the people who has never done a roof unfortunately.

I take it you are saying, that you use two sheets of ply on the practical to form the hip roof.

Would you also mind telling OH what you used as a wall plate.

Thanks in advance.

Andi.

Guest HOPKINSON'S

hi Clint.

just reading about your skills test, was it just how SDY described got my skills test on 28 oct. hopfully im on same carpentry test ,do vetassess say wether your a carpenter or joiner as to your references which most of mine have been on sites and not in a joiners shop,i phoned my agent's up to ask the question (concept aus) they said vetassess will have put me in the appropiate skill i hope so !..

Guest Jomo

Did you have to do any shuttering with the Carpenter Assessment???? Any reply would be appreciated, sitting test tomorrow!!!!

Guest kings5

I was allso at Accrington in April, like sdy says, take your time its not a race and you have plenty of time to do the jobs, i do a lot of roofing so that wasn't a problem for me but some people in my group did look as though they were stuggling, but just take your time and you will probably make that time back on one of the other jobs.

As for the questions, also read up on setting out, concreting and steel work. not sure what that had to do with carpentry but they ask it anyway.

Good luck to every one i'm sure you will all be fine and wonder what you were all worrying about

Oh and the roof is set out on ONE sheet of ply 2440 x 1220 and you fix a plate around the perimiter and pich off that

Andy

Guest HOPKINSON'S

hi,

don't think shuttering is on practical test,were are u at tommorow i'm at blackburn

max....

Guest Rickard Family
hi Clint.

just reading about your skills test' date=' was it just how SDY described got my skills test on 28 oct. hopfully im on same carpentry test ,do vetassess say wether your a carpenter or joiner as to your references which most of mine have been on sites and not in a joiners shop,i phoned my agent's up to ask the question (concept aus) they said vetassess will have put me in the appropiate skill i hope so !..[/quote']

Hi

Sorry only just seen this message....and it's the 28th hope all is going well!! Clint had owned his own joiners for years but vetassess put him through on a carpentry test...which he did pass, i'm sure you'll be fine.

Lou x