Current 489 visa processing times

I was just wondering if anybody knew, or has gained recently a 489 visa and how long it took to come through after applying.

My partner and I wish to move to just north of Brisbane, she's a midwife. AHPRA and ANMAC all completed, medicals and police checks are next before EOI is lodged.

A lot of her family live out there so we will be sponsored on the 489.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Hi Adolph,

The waiting times for 489s can be calculated using http://www.border.gov.au/WorkinginAustralia/Pages/15-febuary-2017-round-results.aspx - it seems to me that it's not likely to be more than a couple of weeks before you get an invitation but things do change rapidly in this industry and I would recommend that you apply for a 189 or 190 for preference.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks for the info George, much appreciated. 190 would be good, similar criteria but permanent rather than temporary. I was of the understanding that we'd need to be invited for the 190 though, hence deciding on the 489?

Thanks, BPD

You need to be invited for a 489. Generally, 489's take longer. If you have the points for a 190 then that would be better. Obviously, if you have the points for a 189 that is better again.

Thank you. A 190 would be great but we would need 8's on the IELTS for the extra points and we only have 7's. Would it be possible to apply for a 489 but the Australian government would invite you for a 190 seeing as though midwives are on the CSOL for Queensland? I'm still looking into pros and cons but the 190 makes sense we just lack points.

Thank you. A 190 would be great but we would need 8's on the IELTS for the extra points and we only have 7's. Would it be possible to apply for a 489 but the Australian government would invite you for a 190 seeing as though midwives are on the CSOL for Queensland? I'm still looking into pros and cons but the 190 makes sense we just lack points.

No, in fact it sometimes is the other way around where you ask for a 190 sponsorship and the state says they will only sponsor a 489.

Update.. My Mrs has decided to take the IELTS again and try to improve her 7 (speaking) to an 8 so we can go for at least a 190.

Is it possible to combine both papers if she drops below 8 in any of the other sections where as she got an 8 in her first test? Thus giving her 8's overall, or does it have to be over 8's on the same test? Thanks

Update.. My Mrs has decided to take the IELTS again and try to improve her 7 (speaking) to an 8 so we can go for at least a 190.

Is it possible to combine both papers if she drops below 8 in any of the other sections where as she got an 8 in her first test? Thus giving her 8's overall, or does it have to be over 8's on the same test? Thanks

All 8s in one sitting....

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the correction. I'd read you can combine results somewhere but it turns out that was for the assessment and not the visa. Ahpra and ANMAC are completed.

So now we hope for above 8's on the next IELTS to go for a permanent visa but failing that we'll go for the 489 FS with our 7's after our medicals next month.

you can find IELTS tutors out there who can provide guidance, but there's also some good advice on youtube.

Regards,

Richard

PTE is much easier to score and in my opinion much more fairer test than ielts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PTE is much easier to score and in my opinion much more fairer test than ielts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a look into PTE, that may be better for her confidence. We'd already booked her IELTS when we looked into it say may give it a try if we don't get 8's ?

• 2 months later...