Help with 189 Application

Lagan22

Hi All,

Don't post very often, but I have a couple of questions and would be really appreciative if someone could help. Some background:

I've been here in Melbourne - for the past 5 years on a 457, I've moved around a few companies in that time but essentially I'm looking at a few options:

- Applying via the 189 Independent Visa scheme.

- Applying via 186 Direct Entry.

The 189 Visa has been proposed as an option because:

- I have a positive skills assessment (Analyst Programmer), but when i went to apply for my 186 visa I was told that was not possible, as i've been sponsored on a 457 Under "Systems Administrator" for the entirety of this visa. I applied for a skills assessment under Analyst Programmer as i believed this most closely matched what I actually do, but was told by my agent that would not go through.

I was then told i could go the 189 route. I have 55 Points at the minute. The only other option i have is taking the IELTS to get extra points. I took the test and got: 9: Speaking, 9:listening, 8:Reading, 6.5 Writing. This gave me an 8 overall, but it seems that you need at least a 7 for the extra points. to give me an overall score of 8.

In short, I have a 2 questions:

- Can I apply for a 186 Direct Entry visa, even though I've been sponsored as a systems administrator and had my skills assessed as an analyst programmer?

- Is there anything I can do for points, given that i have an overall IELTS of 8, but 9: Speaking, 9:listening, 8:Reading, 6.5 Writing. ?

Many thanks,

- Steve

Take PTE -A for higher English score and thus better point.

You can apply for 186 direct entry for a different skill than your 457 skill. Consult a good agent like Deloitte, Ferguman and the likes of them.

Good luck.

Hi All,

Don't post very often, but I have a couple of questions and would be really appreciative if someone could help. Some background:

I've been here in Melbourne - for the past 5 years on a 457, I've moved around a few companies in that time but essentially I'm looking at a few options:

- Applying via the 189 Independent Visa scheme.

- Applying via 186 Direct Entry.

The 189 Visa has been proposed as an option because:

- I have a positive skills assessment (Analyst Programmer), but when i went to apply for my 186 visa I was told that was not possible, as i've been sponsored on a 457 Under "Systems Administrator" for the entirety of this visa. I applied for a skills assessment under Analyst Programmer as i believed this most closely matched what I actually do, but was told by my agent that would not go through.

I was then told i could go the 189 route. I have 55 Points at the minute. The only other option i have is taking the IELTS to get extra points. I took the test and got: 9: Speaking, 9:listening, 8:Reading, 6.5 Writing. This gave me an 8 overall, but it seems that you need at least a 7 for the extra points. to give me an overall score of 8.

In short, I have a 2 questions:

- Can I apply for a 186 Direct Entry visa, even though I've been sponsored as a systems administrator and had my skills assessed as an analyst programmer?

- Is there anything I can do for points, given that i have an overall IELTS of 8, but 9: Speaking, 9:listening, 8:Reading, 6.5 Writing. ?

Many thanks,

- Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a post a few weeks ago about someone on here who got there IELTS remarked as the score in one band was similar to yours and much lower than all the others. This might be an option and save you some time and money

Thanks for the advice all! - I think I will appeal the test and also re-sit another to maximise my chances. I've had a chance to read through the forum and I can see a few other people in the same situation. A bit ridiculous seeing as i'm from the UK, but oh well - I guess they are happy for people like me to keep shelling out!

Thanks,

- Stephen

Are you claiming points for employment in Australia? Analyst Programmer and Systems Administrator are two different occupations in two completely different ANZSCO groups.

If you have been sponsored as a Systems Administrator on a 457 for 5 years, you will have have issues trying to claim any relevant employment experience during this period with a skills assessment as a Analyst Programmer.

Are you claiming points for employment in Australia? Analyst Programmer and Systems Administrator are two different occupations in two completely different ANZSCO groups.

If you have been sponsored as a Systems Administrator on a 457 for 5 years, you will have have issues trying to claim any relevant employment experience during this period with a skills assessment as a Analyst Programmer.

Hi Raul,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was originally going to apply for 186 Direct entry - the thing is, I already have a positive skills assessment from the ACS under the Analyst Programmer role. I was originally defined as a Systems Administrator and that's what i'm currently sponsored under, but Analyst Programmer more closely aligns to what I actually do.

My agent suggested that this would most likely run into issues with direct entry, hence the 189 route I was going to take. I would have thought a positive skills assessment is evidence enough of relevant work and skills?

Cheers,

- Stephen