About to give up and head back

Robzster

Hi all, I am having some issues at work. I am here on a 457 and have been since July 2014. Everything has been ok up until the tail end of last year. I currently work as a conveyor belt Splicer doing fifo in the Pilbara, sub contracted to FMG Christmas creek mine, 2/1 roster. Around December last year FMG at Christmas creek decided to remove the scaffolders from site, I guess to save money. That is when it was announced that my conveyor belt company was to take over the scaffolding duties. Now my company is attempting to force us into scaffold training, I have already expressed my safety concerns over this and the fact that I have no desire to be a scaffolder. I was verbally threatened with the sack if I did not comply with this training. I also believe that doing that job would breach my 457 conditions as it does not mention anything about scaffold duties on my visa and 99% of the scaffold has nothing to do with conveyor belts.

Has anyone else came up against these bullying tactics? I am pretty mad as this company got me and my family over here with all the promises of PR sponsorship etc which have now all disappeared, of all the 457s they got to Australia(think there was around 20) there is only 2 left. So I think they got their fingers burnt and lost a lot of money through the 457 scheme and now we are paying the price.

No one seems to be able to give a divinitive answer. Feel like just chucking it and heading home to be honest. Sorry for the long rant 

Might be worth posting the specific question about the job change in the " ask an agent" part of the forum. I think you are right though they cannot just change the job you are doing.

So many people believe that the 457 will lead to PR and believe employers promises only to find themselves without a path to PR.

If you have no other options for PR and have to return to the UK then your employer must pay the airfare for you and your family, regardless of who gives notice. Check the rules, I think you must make the request in writing but not sure exactly how it works in regard to choosing the flights etc.

You certainly will not be alone in having to leave WA after the mining boom, even those with PR have struggled to find work.

Unfortunately there are so much fewer jobs in mining now that the companies are starting to be unwilling to sponsor you for PR. I would say that I dont think you should have named the main contractor. Its not their fault it is your own company who has made the promises, giving you ultimatums etc and people reading this could get the impression that is its the main company at fault just because you have mentioned them.

Can't understand why you're upset Robzster. As it sounds your company are offering free training to be a scaffolder. I know a few and they are on good money, it will just be another feather in your cap and something else to turn your hand to, should belt splicing get quite.

When you wanted to come if a company had come forward and said they'd retrain you as a scaffolder to enable you to emigrate would you have done it? I certainly would.

My sons a Fifo sparkie and he's paid heaps out of his own pocket to do extra courses. Even snake handler. It cost him a few grand to do his instrument course last year.

I would be taking any training offered mate and keep your head down.

Can't understand why you're upset Robzster. As it sounds your company are offering free training to be a scaffolder. I know a few and they are on good money, it will just be another feather in your cap and something else to turn your hand to, should belt splicing get quite.

When you wanted to come if a company had come forward and said they'd retrain you as a scaffolder to enable you to emigrate would you have done it? I certainly would.

My sons a Fifo sparkie and he's paid heaps out of his own pocket to do extra courses. Even snake handler. It cost him a few grand to do his instrument course last year.

maybe just maybe he does not want to do one of the most dagerouis jobs in the world, would you like to be a scaffolder paul?

OK, so put it this way from what I gather it is 'become a scaffolder or its the sack', you see no problem in this ?

OK, so put it this way from what I gather it is 'become a scaffolder or its the sack', you see no problem in this ?

Not at all. If his original employment is redundant, then I, if I was in his position, with my desire to remain in Oz, would see it as a lifeline. No different than any redundant employee, in any part of the world, in any skillset, being offered a chance to retrain to remain in employment. The circumstances are sad/ strained/ dubious but I'd have done anything to stay in Oz when I first got here, and I had two rugrats in tow.

All I can say, and it's been said so many times on this forum, but folks just want a "quick fix" and ignore the advice given, is................"say FECK to the 457"

maybe just maybe he does not want to do one of the most dagerouis jobs in the world, would you like to be a scaffolder paul?

Most dangerous job in the world ,with all the OHS on mine sites I don't think so,

scaffolding is very different in oz compared to the uk ,there is not a lot of tube a clip it's all quick form type a lot easier and safer to do,

i am with paul another string to your bow .

What's good money ?

Most dangerous job in the world ,with all the OHS on mine sites I don't think so,

scaffolding is very different in oz compared to the uk ,there is not a lot of tube a clip it's all quick form type a lot easier and safer to do,

I worked doing t.a for riggers on the construction when I first arrived in w.a .

I hope health and safety has finally caught up .

Wouldn't do it ,in a million years now .

Looked the same to me on building sites, not any difference at all...and if he does not want to do scaffolding then it looks like the sack....pity that.

I worked doing t.a for riggers on the construction when I first arrived in w.a .

I hope health and safety has finally caught up .

Wouldn't do it ,in a million years now .

Don't think many on here have worked as scaffolders, if you are a little wary of heights thats you ******

I can't say I have noticed any difference in the type of scaffolding used in either country to be honest. Certainly not something I would do and to me more or less forced into it is just wrong.

I can't say I have noticed any difference in the type of scaffolding used in either country to be honest. Certainly not something I would do and to me more or less forced into it is just wrong.

Can only speak of nsw as building methods a very diffrent in wa to here but it's all quick stage in nsw

they don't do tube and clip which is a skill in its self to errect

lit was something that stood out when I first came over and the cost to hire.

Hi all, I am having some issues at work. I am here on a 457 and have been since July 2014. Everything has been ok up until the tail end of last year. I currently work as a conveyor belt Splicer doing fifo in the Pilbara, sub contracted to FMG Christmas creek mine, 2/1 roster. Around December last year FMG at Christmas creek decided to remove the scaffolders from site, I guess to save money. That is when it was announced that my conveyor belt company was to take over the scaffolding duties. Now my company is attempting to force us into scaffold training, I have already expressed my safety concerns over this and the fact that I have no desire to be a scaffolder. I was verbally threatened with the sack if I did not comply with this training. I also believe that doing that job would breach my 457 conditions as it does not mention anything about scaffold duties on my visa and 99% of the scaffold has nothing to do with conveyor belts.

Has anyone else came up against these bullying tactics? I am pretty mad as this company got me and my family over here with all the promises of PR sponsorship etc which have now all disappeared, of all the 457s they got to Australia(think there was around 20) there is only 2 left. So I think they got their fingers burnt and lost a lot of money through the 457 scheme and now we are paying the price.

No one seems to be able to give a divinitive answer. Feel like just chucking it and heading home to be honest. Sorry for the long rant 

Are you in a position to apply for PR independently? Have you been threatened with the sack or been told that there will be no position because of less work and the company are having to diversify to stay afloat? I would ask an agent regarding the change in role and 457 - it may be academic and they would have to re-nominate a position to keep you.

They are obligated to pay for your flights back to the UK - it doesn't have to be the most convenient for you (they'll probably opt for the cheapest which may mean stopovers).

Do you have any contacts who would be willing to sponsor you?

Don't think many on here have worked as scaffolders, if you are a little wary of heights thats you ******

There was very little health and safety ,and a lot of " free walking " at substantial height .

The harnesses , I was told were restrictive ?

Makes no odds to me now ,because I dint do it

Thanks for the replies. I have worked in the mining/quarrying industry for almost 20 years so know a bit about the scaffolding that would be required. My concerns/reasons are

1. I have no desire or need to become a scaffolder, it isn't my job and if I wanted to do it I would have done years ago! We are not getting anything extra for it but will be the ones to carry the can if anything goes wrong.

2. The company I work for thinks that sending us on 10 days training ( 8 of which are in a classroom doing theory/legislation) makes us a fully qualified scaffolder. It's not just quick stage but tube and clip and also drop scaffold from the side of buildings etc.... Am I the only one that thinks that is wrong on so many levels? I have spoke to many guys in that trade and it takes them years to get to that kind of competent level.

3. I believe that this changes my role therefore breaches my visa conditions as it doesn't mention anything regarding scaffold

Thanks for the replies. I have worked in the mining/quarrying industry for almost 20 years so know a bit about the scaffolding that would be required. My concerns/reasons are

1. I have no desire or need to become a scaffolder, it isn't my job and if I wanted to do it I would have done years ago! We are not getting anything extra for it but will be the ones to carry the can if anything goes wrong.

2. The company I work for thinks that sending us on 10 days training ( 8 of which are in a classroom doing theory/legislation) makes us a fully qualified scaffolder. It's not just quick stage but tube and clip and also drop scaffold from the side of buildings etc.... Am I the only one that thinks that is wrong on so many levels? I have spoke to many guys in that trade and it takes them years to get to that kind of competent level.

3. I believe that this changes my role therefore breaches my visa conditions as it doesn't mention anything regarding scaffold

I would be thinking exactly the same, its easy for other people to say "its a another string to your bow" but they aint the ones doing a new dangerous back breaking job that takes many years just to be competent at.
  • Like 1

No you are certainly not the only one who thinks it is wrong, very wrong. How on earth can you learn scaffolding in 2 days out in the field, it is absurd.

• Like 1

Just interested rob , what are the pay rates ?....just being nosey

Have you raised your concerns about their request to you ?

You are saying it's too dangerous ,would you be the only person doing this work or would you have more expireanced supervisor as I understand it must be signed off with daily and weekly inspections , the course you would be would be very basic and in no way qualify you to do some of the scaffolding you have said would be required . What about the union or work cover get in touch and voice your concerns.

unfortuately mining has had a down turn and the pit falls of a 457 visa