Does everyone on Visa 189 have to touch Aus soil within the 12 months?

Hi guys.

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times and I can't seem to find anything online but if we are granted Visa 189 (Just starting this whole process so wish us luck) would all of us (family of 3) have to set foot on Aussie soil within that 12 months or just the main visa holder?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi guys.

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times and I can't seem to find anything online but if we are granted Visa 189 (Just starting this whole process so wish us luck) would all of us (family of 3) have to set foot on Aussie soil within that 12 months or just the main visa holder?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, although it's a single application once the visa is issued each individual has their own visa and each one has a 1st entry date which must be complied with (obviously it's the same date for each but each individual must comply with it). I don't know the rule for what happens if the main applicant doesn't activate his visa but a secondary applicants did - but I have wondered about that. If the main applicant activated his visa but a secondary applicant didn't they'd need to apply for a new visa (such as a subclass 101) for the secondary applicant.

Incidentally the time scale isn't 12 months but is 12 months from the earlier of your police checks or medical (neither of which can be more than 12 months old at time of entry) - but don't worry they give you what this date is on your visa grant so you don't have to work it out. I'm just telling you this to warn you that if you've front loaded your application and they then take a long time to grant then the time period you're given can be significantly less than 12 months from grant.

PS I see bobbie2016 and AJ both typed their responses faster than I did so apologies for repeating what they said.

Edited by Ken

Hi guys.

Thanks for everyones response. Yes, we knew already about the 12 months being from police/medical checks. That was the only part of the whole process that I was a bit unsure about. Well, I say that. I'm sure as we progress through the different stages there'll be other things that confuse me! :P